• Create Account

Welcome to Fuji X Forum!

Welcome to the Fuji X Forum, the largest online community of Fujifilm X camera users!

Creating a forum account is FREE!

The primary benefit to registering is so you can post in the community, and be notified when discussions are updated.

Other benefits include uploading photos, creating a photo gallery, getting answers to technical questions and assistance with trouble-shooting, communicate with other members via private messages, elgibility for contests, and more!

Registering is a simple process that requires minimal information. Become a part of the forum by signing in or creating an account. For your convenience you can sign in using Facebook, Twitter or Google.

We take pride in being the friendliest photo forum on the net.

Come on in join the fun!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What's the point of a half case?

Accessory

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 hockeymagnet

hockeymagnet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:40 AM

I'm looking at a case for my X100S - currently I like the Kaza full case - The Fuji case is a non starter re the inability to work with a filter ring adapter, lens cap and/or hood. I'm looking for a case so that I can just toss it in the car or inside a bag (not a "camera bag") without getting scratched or dinged. The half cases leave at least 50% of the camera exposed, including the LCD and the Lens - the 2 most vulnerable parts. So other than appearance and some minimal protection, what's the point? or am I missing something?

Chris 

#2 Roger

Roger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Local time: 02:46 AM
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:00 AM

The half case doesn't answer your needs, but it does provide an additional bit of thickness for those who like a bit more substantial grip on the camera and surprisingly some bump protection for the base and sides of the camera all which get real wear if you carry the camera around your neck a lot. My X100 Fuji case gets a lot of use for exactly the reasons you state. I'm able to remove my fluted hood and still get the case to snap. I just tried my case with my new domed hood that folks have been discussing here and the case squeezes over the hood but the lens bump in the top half of the case isn't deep enough for the case to close completely. There is about a 4mm gap at the bottom (portion with magnetic flap).

Roger

• Skulmoski likes this

#3 GDRoth

GDRoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • Local time: 03:46 AM
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:07 AM

I have the Garitz XS-CHX100M half case for my X100S. It has a metal plate for the bottom that provides a lot of structure and protection. There is a cutout for battery and card access and a tripod thread. I also have a Thumbs Up , that combined with the half case provides very good grip . 90% of the time I use a Op Tech wrist strap for the final anti-drop security.  I also have a all glass Giotto's LCD protector and the JJC domed lens hood that provides protection without needing a lens cap. So the camera is put in my everyday bag (Vanguard Up Rise 38)  that holds my 14" laptop and other various gear. I can pull the X100S out quickly and be ready to shoot

That's my approach.....................I don't want a full case............

Dave

Edited by GDRoth, 07 October 2013 - 09:08 AM.

• Skulmoski likes this

Fuji X100S, Fuji X-E2 with 10-24mm, 18-55mm & 55-200mm - Lightroom 5.5 and Photoshop CS5

My Flickr Gallery

#4 Nemo

Nemo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationRowayton, CT

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:21 AM

I have the Garitz XS-CHX100M half case for my X100S. It has a metal plate for the bottom that provides a lot of structure and protection. There is a cutout for battery and card access and a tripod thread. I also have a Thumbs Up , that combined with the half case provides very good grip . 90% of the time I use a Op Tech wrist strap for the final anti-drop security.  I also have a all glass Giotto's LCD protector and the JJC domed lens hood that provides protection without needing a lens cap. So the camera is put in my everyday bag (Vanguard Up Rise 38)  that holds my 14" laptop and other various gear. I can pull the X100S out quickly and be ready to shoot

That's my approach.....................I don't want a full case............

Dave

I have the almost identical set up for my X-E1 - Garitz half case, Thumbs Up, Giotto's LCD protector.  I have a screw-on, locking lens hood that pretty much stays on all the time.  The only difference is I have a long strap so I can sling the camera over my shoulder, cross-wise.  The full-case would be too involved going on and off (open/close) for me.

Nemo

#5 KeithT

KeithT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts
  • Local time: 08:46 AM
  • LocationIsle of Wight, United Kingdom

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:47 AM

I use the Fuji case as a half case, keep my hood on all the time and use a small Billingham Hadley bag as a place to store it in its own slot with a section to keep personal stuff like card wallet, specks and spare batteries. It also has two front pockets for things like car keys and filters etc.  How you manage your gear is very personal, but I find the bag far better than storing stuff in my pockets.

• Skulmoski likes this
If at first you don't succed, it might be better to try something else.

http://www.keithtowers.zenfolio.com/

#6 hockeymagnet

hockeymagnet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:07 AM

I use the Fuji case as a half case, keep my hood on all the time and use a small Billingham Hadley bag as a place to store it in its own slot with a section to keep personal stuff like card wallet, specks and spare batteries. It also has two front pockets for things like car keys and filters etc.  How you manage your gear is very personal, but I find the bag far better than storing stuff in my pockets.

I agree about the bag but I don't use a camera bag with a padded spot for the camera, if I did, I wouldn't bother with a case at all. I just use an unpadded messenger bag, that's why I thought a full case made sense. Also if I want to leaver the bag behind at times, I can just take the camera in the case and feel it's relatively well protected. I realize this whole case thing is pretty subjective - I seem to recall in the good old days, you couldn't buy a half case separately, it just came as two pieces like the Fuji. Still think it's more of an appearance thing but I have no problem with that. Just my opinion

#7 pers

pers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Local time: 07:46 AM

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:04 AM

To answer directly the question - maybe there is no point but some people love it ;)

#8 Skulmoski

Skulmoski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Local time: 11:46 AM
  • LocationAbu Dhabi

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:08 PM

The half case adds some protection and I like how it looks. My Gariz half case has a slight grip that when combined with my Thumbs Up, affords a comfortable and secure grip.

GJS

Fuji X-Pro1, 8mm Rokinon,14mm Fujinon, 27mm Fujinon and 35mm Fujinon

#9 dadopic

dadopic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Local time: 12:46 AM
  • LocationVancouver, Canada

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:17 PM

Cosmetic look, in my CASE (no pun intended)

#10 GaryX

GaryX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:17 PM

I have a Garitz half case. The looks of the X100S reminds me of the film only days, when Gentlemen, with leather encased cameras, would take leisurely walks and leisurely cruises and leisurely snap a photograph here and a photograph there. I decided to transform my X100S into a "Gentleman's Camera" and did so with the Garitz case. And I always hang the X100S from my neck, in homage and tribute to the leisurely gentlemen of the film-only days.

Edited by GaryX, 07 October 2013 - 12:19 PM.

• GDRoth and Nemo like this

"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My Snaps are Here: Unsharp At Any Speed
Critiquing my images is welcomed and greatly appreciated. tiphat.gif

#11 GDRoth

GDRoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:54 PM

I have a Garitz half case. The looks of the X100S reminds me of the film only days, when Gentlemen, with leather encased cameras, would take leisurely walks and leisurely cruises and leisurely snap a photograph here and a photograph there. I decided to transform my X100S into a "Gentleman's Camera" and did so with the Garitz case. And I always hang the X100S from my neck, in homage and tribute to the leisurely gentlemen of the film-only days.

my age forces me to move leisurely at all times...........

Fuji X100S, Fuji X-E2 with 10-24mm, 18-55mm & 55-200mm - Lightroom 5.5 and Photoshop CS5

My Flickr Gallery

#12 PenGun

PenGun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • LocationBC Canada

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:34 PM

So it's really just a matter of style. Makes sense to me.

I need a full case, and although I am 67, I move fast and travel far on my feet. It's my hobby.and my style is brutal, which matches the terrain and my trusty Manfrotto Art 290, the Cougar Swatter. Way up the mountain with the Bears, Cougars, loggers and the dirt bikers, a Gentleman might feel out of place.

Paradise for me.

“ Which of my photographs is my favorite? The one I’m going to take tomorrow. – Imogen Cunningham "

http://carnagepro.com

#13 pers

pers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Local time: 07:46 AM

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:12 AM

So it's really just a matter of style. Makes sense to me.

I need a full case, and although I am 67, I move fast and travel far on my feet. It's my hobby.and my style is brutal, which matches the terrain and my trusty Manfrotto Art 290, the Cougar Swatter. Way up the mountain with the Bears, Cougars, loggers and the dirt bikers, a Gentleman might feel out of place.

Paradise for me.

But X series are rather design for Gentleman :) You know the Leica thing   ;)

#14 KeithT

KeithT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts
  • Local time: 08:46 AM
  • LocationIsle of Wight, United Kingdom

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:37 AM

A full ever-ready case is a pain in the bum if you like to use a hood and filters.  The Fuji case isn't made to accept the hood, and it won't accept the thumb grip either. So from that stance the half case is better than no case at all as far as some form of body Armour is concerned.  If you want to use the hood and filters and use the ever-ready case as well, then you need a place to store the bits and pieces when the camera is not in use. That means pockets or a man-bag of some kind.  My logic is it is better to use the protection of the half case and have an all-in-one bag to keep everything under one flap.  For me, the Billingham Small Hadley was the way to go. For others, other bags and ideas suit.  It's all personal at the end of the day, so however you like to configure your gear that's the way to go. It's what's comfortable to you that counts!

Edited by KeithT, 08 October 2013 - 05:39 AM.

If at first you don't succed, it might be better to try something else.

http://www.keithtowers.zenfolio.com/

#15 GaryX

GaryX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:00 AM

But X series are rather design for Gentleman :) You know the Leica thing   ;)

Precisely. Way back when, most cameras were used with cases. I have an old Petri I picked up for $10, it doesn't even have eyelets for a strap.

Gary

PS- My X-Pro1's are sans case, they are for my non-leisurely, I'm here for photography, images.

G

"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My Snaps are Here: Unsharp At Any Speed
Critiquing my images is welcomed and greatly appreciated. tiphat.gif

#16 AlbertInFrance

AlbertInFrance

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 738 posts
  • Local time: 09:46 AM
  • LocationMorbihan, France

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:04 AM

Over the years I've had a number of cameras that come with what we used to call 'never ready cases'. I always left the front/top part behind.

If you are going to use a dedicated camera bag the front flap just takes up room and adds time to get into use. I hate trying to use a camera with the front flap attached and dangling and otherwise you have to stow it away. The half case bit does give some protection, although less on digital cameras

With an ordinary messenger bag or the similar I'd consider a simple cloth bag or the like, although my preference would be an insert shaped to take my camera (X-E1) with any of my usual set of lenses attached

Albert

Every photograph is an abstraction from reality.
Most people are more interested in the picture than the pixels.

#17 PenGun

PenGun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • LocationBC Canada

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:50 PM

I travel with the camera hanging on me and the rest of the crap in a backpack. I need a full case 'cause sometimes it rains and stuffing the hanging camera into a plastic bag lacks elegance.

The medium quality full cases, the ones I am looking at anyway, will handle an 18-55 lens so everything but my Leica Elmar 135 will fit in the case when on the camera.

The half cases just make me smile. Very cute gentlemen. Here's a thought ... matching shoes. ;)

“ Which of my photographs is my favorite? The one I’m going to take tomorrow. – Imogen Cunningham "

http://carnagepro.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Accessory

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users