• Create Account

Black Friday/Cyber Monday Links!

Popflash - special instant rebate pricing on all new Fuji items, call Tony or Alex for details 805-492-6444 or 805-492-6548
Cameraland - call Jeff 212-753-5128 for pricing too low to advertise
Best Buy
Apple
B&H -- Crumpler 4 Million Dollar Home Bag in black, only $19.95, deal ends in 14 hours, save $50! Free shipping, limit 2! SOLD OUT
Amazon
Amazon UK
Adorama
Newegg

Clicking on these links helps offset the operational costs of the forum at no cost to you! Your support is much appreciated!

Welcome to Fuji X Forum!

Welcome to the Fuji X Forum, the largest online community of Fujifilm X camera users!

Creating a forum account is FREE!

The primary benefit to registering is so you can post in the community, and be notified when discussions are updated.

Other benefits include uploading photos, creating a photo gallery, getting answers to technical questions and assistance with trouble-shooting, communicate with other members via private messages, elgibility for contests, and more!

Registering is a simple process that requires minimal information. Become a part of the forum by signing in or creating an account. For your convenience you can sign in using Facebook, Twitter or Google.

We take pride in being the friendliest photo forum on the net.

Come on in join the fun!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

X-E2 burst mode shooting?

X-E2

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ryan00013

ryan00013

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Local time: 03:46 PM
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:14 PM

I'm curious about how the X-E2 handles in burst mode shooting in comparison to the X-Pro1. Basically, I am hoping the X-E2 performs the same way as the X-100s and basically every other camera, in that I can shoot a single photo in burst mode and simply hold down the shutter anytime I want a burst. 

When set to burst mode (both 3fps & 6fps), my X-Pro1 will automatically shoot two images with a single shutter press. This is annoying for a few reasons:

1. Extra time and effort to sort through image sets.

2. Louder shutter sound (I do a lot of documentary/street shooting)

Does the X-E2 exhibit this same behavior? Or will the camera allow you to take only a single frame if pressing the shutter button a single time in burst mode?

*note I know about the trick of "pressing the X-pro1 shutter button lightning quick" and it will only take one. This feels strange to shoot this way due to shutter lag.

Edited by ryan00013, 07 November 2013 - 05:15 PM.

#2 Miyata610

Miyata610

Largely Ignorant Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • Local time: 08:46 AM
  • LocationTasmania

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:09 PM

My X-E1 shoots a single image if I'm quick with the press. In both 3fps and 6fps.

Edit....

Hmmm. Just tried my Contax RX, it's much easier to stop at one. I don't have anything else to compare.

Edited by Miyata610, 07 November 2013 - 06:22 PM.

Phil
Carl Zeiss T* Fanboy (eleven primes so far)
Fujifilm X-E1, X-A1
Contax RX, 159MM, 167MT
Hasselblad 503CX, 553ELX

#3 Ken Bennett

Ken Bennett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  • Local time: 04:46 PM
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:06 PM

I have the same problem. With every other camera I own, I can easily shoot a single frame in the high-speed advance mode, even a 1D Mark IV at ten frames per second. Getting a single frame from the X-E1 is basically impossible, unless I do such a quick jab at the shutter that the whole camera is jarred. Not smooth....

Equipment: A camera and some lenses. Links: Work photos. Personal photos. Portfolio.

#4 ryan00013

ryan00013

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:15 PM

I have the same problem. With every other camera I own, I can easily shoot a single frame in the high-speed advance mode, even a 1D Mark IV at ten frames per second. Getting a single frame from the X-E1 is basically impossible, unless I do such a quick jab at the shutter that the whole camera is jarred. Not smooth....

Right, this is what I am looking to avoid. It feels strange to shoot that way.

#5 Arjay

Arjay

Admin

• Administrators
  • 8,757 posts
  • Local time: 10:46 PM
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:18 PM

I have never managed to shoot just one frame if my X-E1 is in burst mode. I always get at least two frames. :(.

I generally try to avoid burst mode because the camera will always display only the first shot of a the burst sequence, and only show the rest of the sequence's pictures after you've pressed the Down Arrow button. Then, you can cycle through all shots of a sequence.

If you want to see the shots of another sequence, you have to exit from this mode by pressing Disp Back. Only then, you can select the first shot of the next sequence and repeart the operating sequence.

Tiresome.

• ryan00013 likes this

#6 AlbertInFrance

AlbertInFrance

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 792 posts
  • Local time: 10:46 PM
  • LocationMorbihan, France

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:04 AM

If I read the specs aright the X-E2 no longer uses that horrible separate numbering system (sxxxx) and displaying bursts as videos. 

I'm a bit puzzled how other cameras 'know' when you want a single shot. With a burst speed of (e.g.) 5fps I'd expect that any firing pressure longer than 1/5 sec (200ms) would require the camera to fire subsequent shots in a burst. As it's quite difficult to get fingers to react that fast I would be surprised at any camera that behaves the way that some of our excellent colleagues describe above.

I will admit that the only other extensive experience I have with burst shooting stills dates back to the late 70's, so this is in no way a challenge.

Albert

Every photograph is an abstraction from reality.
Most people are more interested in the picture than the pixels.

#7 mhuang

mhuang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH, USA

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:12 AM

I on the other hand prefer how the X-E1 lumps bursts into a series of frames with only the first one displayed. Makes chomping easier, at least to me it does. :)

<p>X-E2 | X-T1 | 55-200 3,5-4,8 | 23 1,4 | 56 1,2 | 10-24 4 | 32 1,8 | 12 2,8 </p><url> www.mikeyhuang.smugmug.com </url>

#8 Ken Bennett

Ken Bennett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:06 AM

I'm a bit puzzled how other cameras 'know' when you want a single shot. With a burst speed of (e.g.) 5fps I'd expect that any firing pressure longer than 1/5 sec (200ms) would require the camera to fire subsequent shots in a burst. As it's quite difficult to get fingers to react that fast I would be surprised at any camera that behaves the way that some of our excellent colleagues describe above.

I think it has to do with the sensitivity of the shutter button. A 5D Mark II at 5 frames per second is trivially easy to shoot single frames, while a 1D Mark IV is a little more challenging, but still much easier than my X-E1. It feels like the travel distance of the shutter button from half-press to full-press is very short on my Canons compared to the Fuji, and just a momentary increase in pressure fires a shot. It's barely a conscious effort. 

• ryan00013 likes this

Equipment: A camera and some lenses. Links: Work photos. Personal photos. Portfolio.

#9 ryan00013

ryan00013

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:21 PM

I think it has to do with the sensitivity of the shutter button. A 5D Mark II at 5 frames per second is trivially easy to shoot single frames, while a 1D Mark IV is a little more challenging, but still much easier than my X-E1. It feels like the travel distance of the shutter button from half-press to full-press is very short on my Canons compared to the Fuji, and just a momentary increase in pressure fires a shot. It's barely a conscious effort. 

Agreed. I have shot with the Canon G1x, T3i, & 5D3; Sony RX-100 & NEX-6; and the Fuji X100S. All of these cameras I was easily able to shoot a single photo while in burst mode. The X-Pro1/X-E1 is a whole other story. A normal shutter press on my X-Pro1 always gets me two photos. This is highly inconvenient.

Edited by ryan00013, 08 November 2013 - 12:22 PM.

#10 Alan Cohen

Alan Cohen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:42 AM

I don't do much burst shooting, but I tried it last night at our high school's football game. On 6fps I got some pretty good shots. I had no problem getting one shot at a time. It's just a quick flick of the shutter. If you "press" it you will get two. A quick flick and only one. 

It was night and the lighting was poor. No time to let the camera make any decisions so all settings on manual including focus. 1/250 shutter, f2.8 on my 90mm Contax G and ISO3200. The 55-200 was just not bright enough under these conditions. Fuji really needs a telephoto prime - 100mm f1.8 please!

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Edited by Alan Cohen, 09 November 2013 - 06:55 AM.

#11 jwr

jwr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts
  • LocationDallas, Texas

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:20 PM

From a software perspective I would guess that Fuji decides on a burst before the shutter is even pressed and other cameras, although they're in burst mode, don't make the decision until they detect an initial long-press on the shutter.

I'd also bet that if you had a very accurate method to measure the time period between images, the Fuji's will be consistent between the first and all following shots, while other cameras likely have a slightly longer delay between shots 1 and 2 than they do between subsequent shots.

Fuji may be figuring that they need all the help they can get to improve their burst rate so they simply turn it on and let it rip. It's like auto-repeat on your computer's keyboard. You can adjust the delay when you setup auto repeat. Too short of a delay and you get two characters regardless of how fast you press and release.

It is a nuisance and requires a lot more culling in LR.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: X-E2

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users