• Create Account

Welcome to Fuji X Forum!

Welcome to the Fuji X Forum, the largest online community of Fujifilm X camera users!

Creating a forum account is FREE!

The primary benefit to registering is so you can post in the community, and be notified when discussions are updated.

Other benefits include uploading photos, creating a photo gallery, getting answers to technical questions and assistance with trouble-shooting, communicate with other members via private messages, elgibility for contests, and more!

Registering is a simple process that requires minimal information. Become a part of the forum by signing in or creating an account. For your convenience you can sign in using Facebook, Twitter or Google.

We take pride in being the friendliest photo forum on the net.

Come on in join the fun!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

X-T1 L-Bracket?

X-T1

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
261 replies to this topic

#1 RonSmith

RonSmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Local time: 01:30 AM
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:04 PM

Any word from RRS about an L-Bracket for the X-T1?

Alternatively, does any know if their L-Bracket for the X-E1 will work until they come out with one?

Thanks!

#2 apsphoto

apsphoto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • Local time: 10:30 PM
  • LocationOrange county , CA

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:15 PM

I doubt the X-E2 will work, that is just a guess. I am sure they will make one, they seem to support the Fuji, so hopefully they will do one quickly, does not hurt to put in a request. The more requests they get, the more likely they will have incentive to get one done timely.

Alan

#3 RonSmith

RonSmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:25 PM

Good idea, Alan.  I just sent them an e-mail and received an automated response with a Case Number, indicating that someone from customer support will get back to me.

I'll post what I hear from them.

Ron

#4 Richard_R

Richard_R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts
  • Local time: 05:30 PM
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:44 PM

There are plenty of generic ones around. All the OP has to do is some research.

#5 CarlosE

CarlosE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • Local time: 02:30 AM
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 09 February 2014 - 02:10 PM

The real question is will they make one for the X-T1 + Grip? They have not done so for the E-M1 or A7/A7r. They only have a bottom plate for the A7/A7r + Grip with no option to "L" it.

Carlos Echenique Photography
Lights, Cameras, and Mad Science!
Stagecraft, Fine Art & Portrait Photography
Follow me on my blog, Twitter, Google+ and Facebook!

Visit my Flickr
X-T1+VG-X-T1 -- XF 18-55mm -- XF 55-200mm -- SLR Magic 35mm f/1.4 Cine

#6 sunnysideup

sunnysideup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Local time: 12:30 AM
  • LocationIowa

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:51 PM

Do L brackets generally work well when the camera has bays on both sides?  How does the vertical part of the bracket not block the bay door from opening?

Andrew - flickr

#7 RonSmith

RonSmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:35 PM

Do L brackets generally work well when the camera has bays on both sides?  How does the vertical part of the bracket not block the bay door from opening?

The vertical portion has an opening allowing access to the ports on the left side of the body.

#8 CarlosE

CarlosE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:38 PM

L-brackets place the vertical part on the left side of the camera, not the right where the shutter release generally is. How it interferes with the door(s) on the left side of the camera depends on the design of the doors. I have seen U-shaped and C-shaped brackets (along with the more traditional O-shaped brackets) used for the vertical component. iShoot has a bracket for the X-E1/2 that allows the left side door to be opened but you have to slip something pretty thin in there to pop it open. How this can be done with an X-T1 remains to be seen.

Edited by Carlos Echenique, 09 February 2014 - 10:41 PM.

Visit my Flickr

#9 Mapleleaf14

Mapleleaf14

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, Ohio

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:28 AM

I for one hope somebody out there makes an L-Bracket for the X-T1 with vertical grip.  I have a Kirk Enterprises L-Bracket on my Nikon D4 and it is wonderful...gives me Arca-Swiss compatibily in both landscape and portrait formats, but doesn't interfere at all with shooting handheld in either format. 

I'm going to contact both them and RRS to put a request in.

I also saw these two "Universal L-Brackets" from ProMediaGear that might work...I had one of theirs for my old Nikon D7000 and it was actually a pretty nice quality piece of kit...

a 3-inch version -

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

and a 4-inch version -

Edited by Mapleleaf14, 11 February 2014 - 07:42 AM.

#10 CarlosE

CarlosE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:29 AM

I'm going to contact both them and RRS to put a request in.

Tell me how and I will second that request.

Visit my Flickr

#11 Mapleleaf14

Mapleleaf14

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:53 AM

Carlos,

I simply emailed them from their websites and submitted a request for L-Brackets for the X-T1 and for the X-T1 with vertical grip.  I may use one of the "universal" plates from ProMediaGear that I posted above until a "legit" X-T1 L-Bracket is available from somebody.

Kirk -

RRS -

ProMediaGear -

#12 CarlosE

CarlosE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:00 AM

Done

Visit my Flickr

#13 Mapleleaf14

Mapleleaf14

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:58 AM

Really Right Stuff's reply:

" It doesn't look as though we currently offer a plate for that camera, and we have yet to make a decision.

If we decide to make a custom plate for that camera, you will see such an announcement on our Facebook page or in one of our newsletters. In the meantime, here are some generic plate options you could use:

MPR-73:

B6:

BPnS:

However, please be aware that because this is a generic solution, there is no guaranteed anti-twist and you might need to remove the plate from the camera in order to access the battery door/memory card slot of your camera body.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with. "

Maybe with more requests, RRS will decide to add L-plates for the X-T1 and X-T1/Grip combo.

#14 minivini

minivini

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:54 PM

I've been an L-bracket user through many cameras. I'm also a ball head user. The fact is, I've very seldom used the bracket in its portrait orientation as a notched ballhead allows for the same positioning. In my opinion, an L-bracket is really only useful as a protective piece. They're good at taking a beating, but for the weight and bulk they add, I won't be buying one for the T1 and grip. I'll add a generic Arca-Swiss plate to the grip and the Fuji grip for just the body.

#15 dpt.calvin

dpt.calvin

Dr. J

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:02 PM

I've been an L-bracket user through many cameras. I'm also a ball head user. The fact is, I've very seldom used the bracket in its portrait orientation as a notched ballhead allows for the same positioning. In my opinion, an L-bracket is really only useful as a protective piece. They're good at taking a beating, but for the weight and bulk they add, I won't be buying one for the T1 and grip. I'll add a generic Arca-Swiss plate to the grip and the Fuji grip for just the body.

L-Plates are nice because they allow full use of the ball head adjustment while in portrait orientation. When you drop the camera into the slot in the ball head to go into portrait you loose any fine tune adjustments, in other words you might not be able to drop it enough to make it perfectly level. This could be because of uneven ground, or your tripod ins't adjusted right. The bigger problem is all that weight is off axis which makes it extremely hard to move it within the ball head and not have it shift around. With an L plate the weight remains centered over the ball head; flipping the camera and head to get portrait mode gives you a less well-balanced load.

Edited by dpt.calvin, 15 February 2014 - 08:02 PM.

• jwarthman likes this

Fuji nut-hugger. 

#16 RonSmith

RonSmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:13 PM

Here is the response I received from Mark Gvazdinskas at RRS ...

"Thanks for your inquiry. We are currently waiting to get the new Fuji camera in house to design plates/check if any of our existing plates will be a good match.
We don't know exactly when we'll be receiving the camera. Once we get a camera in house it usually takes roughly 4-6 weeks before plates are in production."

#17 sunnysideup

sunnysideup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:12 AM

I was going to purchase a RRS ballhead, panning clamp, nodal slide, and L bracket for my X100, but now that I've pre-ordered the X-T1, I can't.  I hope they get one out ASAP!

Andrew - flickr

#18 marcosv

marcosv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:32 AM

Personally I do wonder how well will the X-T1 will perform if you use the portrait feature of some ball heads.  Using the smaller primes, the lighter overall weight might be good enough.

My problem using L-brackets in general is some of the design compromises used to allow better access to the connectors on the left side.  Some of those compromises results in an awkward looking plate that makes it harder to use or store in smaller camera bags.

I plan on buying the Fuji hand grip and seeing how that works out.  Since my tripod and ballhead were intended to support my Canon 5D3 with 70-200/2.8 IS, I suspect it'll work, even with the heavier/longer telephoto zooms.

OTOH, I wonder what happens when you add the battery grip.  We're going to need a custom plate to get better anti-twist.  So here's hoping RRS does design something for that combo.

Current:  X100S, X-T1, X-E1, 10-24, 18-55, 55-200, 27, 35, 56.  Canon 5D2, 5D3, 6 L-glass.

Past Experiments: EOS-M w/ 3 lens.  GF5, E-PL1 w/ 4 lens.

#19 apsphoto

apsphoto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:45 AM

I have put my request in at RRS as well, the more requests they get the higher in the priority list it will go, so everyone email them!

As for the l-plate I find them extremely useful I use mine all the time, in portrait and landscape orientation, not having to flip the ballhead 90 degrees is a real benefit and well worth the extra cost of an l-plate.

Alan

#20 Richard_R

Richard_R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts
  • Local time: 05:30 PM
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:59 PM

A week after RRS release their L bracket companies like iShoot will have generic ones on ebay at a fraction of the price and 90% of the quality.

#21 sunnysideup

sunnysideup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 02 March 2014 - 03:39 PM

It appears RRS posted an L-plate for the X-T1, but they have since removed it.

I'm guessing they originally thought another camera's L-plate fit the X-T1, decided it did not, and removed it.

• TML likes this

Andrew - flickr

#22 richardhurst

richardhurst

• Official Fujifilm X-Phographer
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Local time: 07:30 AM
  • LocationStevenage

Posted 02 March 2014 - 03:46 PM

I'll definitely mail them as well as I really want one.

X-T1 | Xpro1 | 10-24 | 14mm | 35mm | 56mm | 55-200mm

www.richardhurstphotography.co.uk

http://fujifilm-x.co.../richard_hurst/

#23 echo

echo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:21 PM

A week after RRS release their L bracket companies like iShoot will have generic ones on ebay at a fraction of the price and 90% of the quality.

On principle, I refuse to buy knockoffs. I try to buy from local stores and support businesses we'd hate to lose. If we buy knockoffs, the companies that do the R&D will go out of business and we won't have their great stuff at any price.

• Rezolution, CaryDeanPhoto and photocat2005 like this

#24 Rezolution

Rezolution

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:34 PM

Same here.  I only buy RRS plates.  They're pricey but worth it.

Robert

X-T1 & Vertical Grip  I  10-24mm f4  I   18-55mm f2.8-4  I  23mm f1.4  I   35mm f1.4  I  56mm f1.2  I  55-200mm f3.5-4.8 

Sony RX100m2  I  Elinchrom Quadra  I  Nissin i40  I   Yongnuo YN-560 II x2 I  Gitzo Traveller w/ Markins Head

#25 marcosv

marcosv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:31 PM

Right now I'm looking to buy the Fuji hand grip, but, I have to admit, the idea of buying a RRS one that has the option of getting the plate to convert it into a L-bracket, like what I have for my X100S is very tempting.

Unfortunately, I really want an easy way to mount my X-T1 on a tripod without blocking the battery door right now and I haven't convinced myself that I need a vertical grip yet.

Current:  X100S, X-T1, X-E1, 10-24, 18-55, 55-200, 27, 35, 56.  Canon 5D2, 5D3, 6 L-glass.

Past Experiments: EOS-M w/ 3 lens.  GF5, E-PL1 w/ 4 lens.

#26 Mapleleaf14

Mapleleaf14

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:44 AM

Unfortunately, I really want an easy way to mount my X-T1 on a tripod without blocking the battery door right now and I haven't convinced myself that I need a vertical grip yet.

This could be an option for some since the X-T1 is fairly small and not heavy.  The "plate" that mounts to the bottom of the camera is TINY and I think it would fit right next to the battery door and still allow the door to open.  I still would rather have an arca-swiss compatible option, but I thought this was an interesting find nonetheless. 

It's made by FLM which makes really nice stuff - I use their CP26-L3S carbon fiber tripod and CB-48FTR ballhead and both are totally premium products.

6218680_orig.jpg

8245720_orig.jpg

#27 richardhurst

richardhurst

• PipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationStevenage

Posted 04 March 2014 - 01:25 AM

I had a reply from really right stuff this morning. They said that they are working on a L bracket as we speak and pre orders will open this month.
  • JusBL@zE and sunnysideup like this

#28 lawsofphysics

lawsofphysics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
  • Locationusa

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:53 AM

Richard,

Thanks for the update.

Warning: It is possible that lawsofphysics may know nothing whatsoever about photography. It could be he has never even held a camera, let alone operated a Fuji camera. It may by useful to consider some claim lawsofphysics has a run-away imagination. Others insist he would be better off if he paid more attention to taking his medication on schedule.

#29 apsphoto

apsphoto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:09 PM

The pre-order web page is up, and I ordered mine over the weekend. So hopefully it will happen soon....

Alan

#30 richardhurst

richardhurst

• PipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationStevenage

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:37 AM

The pre-order web page is up, and I ordered mine over the weekend. So hopefully it will happen soon....

Alan

They are still 5-8 weeks away from being ready

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: X-T1

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users