• Create Account

Welcome to Fuji X Forum!

Welcome to the Fuji X Forum, the largest online community of Fujifilm X camera users!

Creating a forum account is FREE!

The primary benefit to registering is so you can post in the community, and be notified when discussions are updated.

Other benefits include uploading photos, creating a photo gallery, getting answers to technical questions and assistance with trouble-shooting, communicate with other members via private messages, elgibility for contests, and more!

Registering is a simple process that requires minimal information. Become a part of the forum by signing in or creating an account. For your convenience you can sign in using Facebook, Twitter or Google.

We take pride in being the friendliest photo forum on the net.

Come on in join the fun!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Fuji XT-1 - Camera Review - CameraLabs

X-T1

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Tpiorkowski

Tpiorkowski

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Local time: 12:23 AM
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:20 AM

Here's a review that was just published, I thought it would be of interest to the group.

Camera Labs - Gordon Laing - March 2014

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Tom

Fujifilm XT-1 - 10-24mm | 18-55mm | 55-200mm

#2 travelerjb

travelerjb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Local time: 10:23 PM
  • LocationUtah

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:50 AM

Yeah read it last night. Gordon is a peculiar guy. His outlook on some things is a bit different. I suppose this was a bit of a back handed thumbs up from him with not much commitment to say the least. At least he fully noted the superior quiet image quality between mft and X-Trans. He seems to also be very pro video so when a camera doesn't bring the performance of a GH3 to the table it is a failure in his eyes. Oh well.

Fuji X-T1, 18-55 f2.8-f4 OIS  lens, 23mm f1.4 lens, 56mm f1.2R Lens 55-200 OIS lens,, B+W Pro Nano Variable 5 Stop ND Filter, B+W MRC Kasemann CP, Picturecode PhotoNinja, LightZone, Lightroom 5.4

#3 loganjack

loganjack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Local time: 05:23 AM
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:47 AM

Some valid negative points made in the review and of course every body is entitled to his or her views, but I will say, I have had the X-T1 for just over a week and I think it is excellent, the positives outweigh the negatives by a large amount. I do not pretend to be an expert on photography, neither am I a novice and what I am looking for from this camera are excellent end results and the X-T1 gives me this in abundance. The images from this camera are awesome. I will also state the obvious, practice makes perfect! I could add much more on the subject, but I would be here until the rest of the week. People read the user manual and enjoy the camera, I am!!!

Edited by loganjack, 03 March 2014 - 08:50 AM.

#4 marcosv

marcosv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Local time: 09:23 PM
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:12 AM

Decent review.  I found his comparison between the X-T1 and E-M1 to be about what I found when I rented the E-M1 for a week.

The amount of noise in the E-M1's RAW images, starting at base ISO turned me off.  If I used a more automated RAW converter such as DXO, I might be able to tolerate the E-M1 RAW workflow better.

As for movie mode, I do agree:  the E-M1's movie mode options are better than the X-T1's.  And I don't care about movie mode performance.  Come to think of it, I haven't tried the X-T1 movie mode yet.

Current:  X100S, X-T1, X-E1, 18-55, 55-200, 27, 35, 56.  Canon 5D2, 5D3, 6 L-glass.

Past Experiments: EOS-M w/ 3 lens.  GF5, E-PL1 w/ 4 lens.

#5 SheepFactory

SheepFactory

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Local time: 04:23 AM
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:16 AM

Video on all photo cameras are terrible across the board due to terrible dynamic range and none of them recording in RAW, If you are a video person look into Blackmagic if you are on a budget. The video features in X-T1, em-1 etc are good enough to take videos of your kids/pets running around and that's about the extent of their intended use anyway. Nobody is going to shoot pro video with these cameras. 

I do disagree with his dials are there for "retro for retro's sake" comment though. Dials are the reason I am invested in Fuji cameras and lenses. Used an A7 and absolutely hated it. OMD was much better, but it still required me to go to menus all the time. Nothing beats having everything you need under your fingers all the time. 

• mnflycaster likes this

#6 travelerjb

travelerjb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Local time: 10:23 PM
  • LocationUtah

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:24 AM

I'm with you SheepFactory. For years now was strapped with menu diving to change things. I love just reaching for a dial and have ISO what I want, or shutter speed or dial down the exposure a tad. So much more intuitive. For the other stuff my D pad gets me there in an instant.

Fuji X-T1, 18-55 f2.8-f4 OIS  lens, 23mm f1.4 lens, 56mm f1.2R Lens 55-200 OIS lens,, B+W Pro Nano Variable 5 Stop ND Filter, B+W MRC Kasemann CP, Picturecode PhotoNinja, LightZone, Lightroom 5.4

#7 loganjack

loganjack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:30 AM

Fujifilm are light years behind with video quality, really poor, embarrassing quality with the X-T1, one of the poorest I have ever seen for a camera at this price, the moire is terrible, a pity really and no need to be in this technological age. The Canon 70D is very good except for the moire, the Canon 5D MkIII is probably the best, but at a cost of course. Maybe Fujifilm are saving something for a future camera release. Never mind I purchased the X-T1 for the image quality only, which is outstanding! Sorry if I have sounded so negative about the X-T1 in this post, but I worked in quality,design and development for a well known Japanese television company for 33 years. I love the X-T1 and I wouldn't change it for anything.

#8 SheepFactory

SheepFactory

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Local time: 04:23 AM
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:43 AM

Yes but you are still not going to film anything professional on the 70D or 5Dmk3 (without significant investment on cine lenses and even then you are still filming on a compressed h264 codec) Even if Fuji had amazing video with no moire it doesn't have the lenses suited for video. There are no clickless aperture lenses and all the lenses focus by wire. It is simply unusable in movie making. It is good enough to make youtube videos with and that's pretty much why it's included. 

To be honest I wouldn't have minded if they removed video completely from this camera like the Nikon DF and made that video button another function button. 

• loganjack likes this

#9 bacil

bacil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Local time: 11:23 PM
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:00 AM

I am actually kind of hoping it does not have video, so it can be produced and sold cheaper. I never used video and I know other people do. Different people different needs.

• loganjack likes this

#10 loganjack

loganjack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:22 AM

To: My fellow "post" friend from Vancouver, you are absolutely 100% correct with your post.

#11 mnflycaster

mnflycaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • LocationMinnesota USA

Posted 03 March 2014 - 12:39 PM

I agree totally with the video comments... I only want/need passable video from a DSLR or mirrorless camera. For video for fun usage. Blackmagic is what I use with Rokinon, Zeiss and converted Nikon/Canon glass for video production. Totally different world on many levels...

I also shoot a bit more methodically and the dials/buttons/controls on the body are great to me. I only need certain controls to be changed while my eye is on the viewfinder and then only occasionally. Sports photographers and other shooters in similar situations need the immediate control more plus a neural connection of some sort from their brain to camera body! ^_^  ;)

#12 faberryman

faberryman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:17 PM

With respect to his comments on the highest ISO setting not being on the dial, since I don't anticipate ever shooting at ISO 51,200, having that accessible only via a menu is not a problem. Really, when are you going to use ISO 51,200? Shooting bats in a cave? And the image quality? I guess it is a new genre - un-available light photography.

With respect to top shutter speed, honestly, when do you ever need 1/8000 sec?  Photographing speeding bullets? Do you have any idea how bright it is for an ISO100, f22, 1/8000 sec. exposure?  How often do you need f1.2 depth of field while at the beach on the equator midday in July? It's why God invented neutral density filters.

With respect to the T speed implementation, Fuji's choice to have a T setting and 1-30 sec on the front dial makes eminent sense to me.  Just because there isn't enough room on the shutter speed dials for the additional settings from 1-30 seconds, doesn't mean you should move all shutter speeds to the front dial, and make the shutter speed dial one of those with a dozen program modes.  Talk about throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Seems like he was struggling to find "shortcomings" just so he would appear to be objective, or not wanting to jump on the retro bandwagon.

Edited by faberryman, 03 March 2014 - 01:41 PM.

• Peter1950 likes this

Fuji X-E2 | 14mm f2.8 | 27mm f2.8 | 18-55mm f2.8-4

Olympus OM-1 | 24mm f2.8 | 35mm f2 | 100mm f2.8

#13 Peter1950

Peter1950

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Local time: 06:23 AM
  • LocationAmsterdam

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:27 PM

Faberryman, your comments made me smile.

#14 lawsofphysics

lawsofphysics

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts
  • Locationusa

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:31 PM

Did anyone else notice how similar the image brightness was for the two cameras when the same ISO, shutter and aperture parameters were used?

Warning: It is possible that lawsofphysics may know nothing whatsoever about photography. It could be he has never even held a camera, let alone operated a Fuji camera. It may by useful to consider some claim lawsofphysics has a run-away imagination. Others insist he would be better off if he paid more attention to taking his medication on schedule.

#15 faberryman

faberryman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:38 PM

Faberryman, your comments made me smile.

I'm just an old film shooter from way back, and a lot of the whining I hear about lack of features makes my eyes roll.  Just take the photograph already.  The camera is not what is holding your images back.  Certainly not mine.

#16 jwr

jwr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts
  • LocationDallas, Texas

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:44 PM

With respect to top shutter speed, honestly, when do you ever need 1/8000 sec?  Photographing speeding bullets?

As you mentioned, stopping action isn't the only reason for a fast shutter speed. The ability to shoot wide open with a fast lens outdoors is probably a more common reason and is also why the X100S has a built-in ND filter.  With my faster lenses on very bright days when I'm attempting to get some subject separation I frequently run into the bright red 1/4000 readout meaning the camera can't go fast enough to allow my current aperture setting and I live in Texas--far from the equator :).  You don't have to be anywhere near f/1.2 although anytime I hear f/1.2 now I want to grab my credit card and pre-order..

The minimum ISO of 200 and maximum shutter speed of 1/4000 are both limitations in the same vein and while not uncommon, are still valid criticisms. As an old film shooter myself I sometimes miss ASA 25 film although I don't miss the 1/1000 max shutter speed of my OM2n or even worse, the 1/500 of my Rollei. :)

Edited by jwr, 03 March 2014 - 07:47 PM.

• Chad D likes this

#17 faberryman

faberryman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:38 PM

Perhaps the need for 1/4000 and 1/8000 arises from the minimum ISO 200 of digital sensors.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: X-T1

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users