• Create Account

Welcome to Fuji X Forum!

Welcome to the Fuji X Forum, the largest online community of Fujifilm X camera users!

Creating a forum account is FREE!

The primary benefit to registering is so you can post in the community, and be notified when discussions are updated.

Other benefits include uploading photos, creating a photo gallery, getting answers to technical questions and assistance with trouble-shooting, communicate with other members via private messages, elgibility for contests, and more!

Registering is a simple process that requires minimal information. Become a part of the forum by signing in or creating an account. For your convenience you can sign in using Facebook, Twitter or Google.

We take pride in being the friendliest photo forum on the net.

Come on in join the fun!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

F-Stop District bag anyone?

Accessory

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 cyclopath

cyclopath

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Local time: 11:52 AM
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:57 AM

Hey everyone!

First poster but have been lurking for a while. Just made the big switch and sold all my Canon gear for the X-T1 and absolutely love it. Now I just need to find the perfect day-trip messenger bag for it. Ideally it needs to carry X-T1 with lens, 1-2 spare lens, minimal accessories, water bottle, jacket etc. Do mostly casual/street/travel so I pack light.

I was wondering if anyone had used/seen/reviewed this bag before: 

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

It seems that there isn't much out there online about it despite looking the goods. Only really found this one real life video of it: 

Looking at the District 13 size-wise.

I know all about Billingham/Think Tank/ONA etc but none of them are really what I am after. Want more of a crumpler/Timbuk2 style waterproof nylon bag.

Thanks for any help in advance and I hope to become more involved on here in future!

Fujifilm X-T1 | 23mm | 18-55mm | Instax Share SP-1 Printer

#2 GaryX

GaryX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts
  • Local time: 06:52 PM
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:05 AM

Looks like a very well thought out bag. Seems a bit large for the minimalist. 

"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My Snaps are Here: Unsharp At Any Speed
Critiquing my images is welcomed and greatly appreciated. tiphat.gif

#3 Double Negative

Double Negative

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  • Local time: 09:52 PM
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:34 AM

I'm using a Crumpler Six Million Dollar Home.  You might even get away with a Five.

#4 LievenL

LievenL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Local time: 03:52 AM
  • LocationBrussels

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:35 AM

Great, but I prefer my Retrospective 7.

Lieven Lema

Brussels Belgium

www.lema.be

Facebook 500px

10-24mm, 27mm, 35mm, 60mm, 18-55mm, X-E2

Photowalk Antwerpen Belgium 25 oktober CLICK

#5 dslerner

dslerner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Locationnew yourk

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:46 AM

Take a look at the new Tamrac Apache series. The Apache 4 looks as perfect as you can get knowing that every bag has its problems.
  • K9GDT - George likes this

#6 jypfoto

jypfoto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:09 AM

I have the District 13.  I was trying to get it from f-stop directly since February of this year but it never appeared in stock.  Eventually in June I was able to find a retailer in Malaysia that had it and was willing to ship it over to me.  I'm a big fan of f-stop products having a Loka presently and trying a Loka UL before deciding on the Loka.

After seeing it online I thought that it would be the best bag for my needs.  The top zipper, the laptop sleep, etc.  My thoughts on the District 13 is that it's a nice bag and for $99 if you can get it at that price it's a nice deal.  I ended up paying more for shipping and a slight premium for it (Paid around $156 for it). 

After using it for a few weeks with the Panasonic GH4 it was a little bit of an odd fit.  The GH4 seemed a little bit tall and it made the bag buldge a little bit. Even the picture online shows a smaller DSLR, I don't think that it could fit anything that big.  The included dividers are a little tall as well.  The laptop compartment is nicely padded but I feel it might be missing a piece because the strap has a velcro part on it but not on the camera bag itself.  The pad is thin, but not too uncomfortable.  The bag itself is very light.  Right now I'm using a Sony a7 with lenses and it fits a little nicer since it's shorter than the GH4.  Didn't have this bag when I had the X-T1. 

But at the end of the day I bought a Ona Brixton in Field Tan to use.  I'll try and take some pictures of the bag later tonight if I have a chance.

• cyclopath likes this

#7 Koban

Koban

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Local time: 02:52 AM
  • LocationNL

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:48 AM

I saw this back during my last trip in Singapore. For me the looks are importent. looks are not my thing of this bag. Comfort the same. Did try it with my gear at that moment. Hope you can find it some where in a store nearby so you can test it. Comfort is something that is really personal. ;-) I use most of the time my ONA brixton & Bowery leather and Hardley Pro

#8 Double Negative

Double Negative

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:03 AM

Take a look at the new Tamrac Apache series. The Apache 4 looks as perfect as you can get knowing that every bag has its problems.

Those Apache 2 bags look mighty sweet!

Tamrac is in the process of being sold, as part of their bankruptcy.  Hope it doesn't impact availabilty.

#9 dslerner

dslerner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Locationnew yourk

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:16 AM

Link to Apache 4. Review: Tamrac Apache 4 - YouTube
► 10:37► 10:37
www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTP6_F6Xe2Y
Apr 30, 2014 - Uploaded by Jonathan Long
This is a review of the Tamrac Apache 4 camera bag. For more info, check out www.jon-long.com!
  • K9GDT - George likes this

#10 adsinger

adsinger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • LocationFirst Coast, FL

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:17 AM

I have the smaller F-Stop bag, the Millar line Shibata and I like it a lot. It's well made, looks good and is a good size for a small system. I carry the XT-1 with a lens mounted and can carry 1-2 added lenses plus all the little things; filters, battery, etc, plus there's room for a small tablet as well.

Alan.

#11 surfer623

surfer623

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Local time: 02:52 AM
  • LocationUK

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:32 AM

I'm pretty sure Tamrac has been bought by Gura Gear who make superb bags.  I'm pretty sure the range will continue,well I hope so anyway.

#12 Double Negative

Double Negative

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:35 AM

I'm pretty sure Tamrac has been bought by Gura Gear who make superb bags.  I'm pretty sure the range will continue,well I hope so anyway.

Yes, that's the company.  Here's the latest:

#13 K9GDT - George

K9GDT - George

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Local time: 08:52 PM
  • LocationNE Illinois, USA

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:31 AM

Greetings fellow friendly Fujimentarians,

+1 on Tamracs Apache series!!!  I use the smallest (2) version for social occasions.  It carries my X-E2, 56mm and 23mm lenses as well as the EF-42 flash, small tripod, filters and spare battery packs.  

The lens mounted on the camera can be stored with its hood in place, ready to shoot. (Sweet!)  The unused lens must be stored with its hood reversed. 

92.07KB   11 downloads

87.95KB   10 downloads

102.5KB   10 downloads

Although all available space is used, everything can be accessed without first removing other items.  Nothing is crammed and all items are safely stored.

One nice thing about these bags is that the Tamrac label is very small and not legible unless a potential thief gets very close. 

My X-T1 resides in a Tamrac 4 bag along with the EF-20 flash, 55-200mm, 18-55mm, 8mm, 14mm, 35mm and 60mm lenses, along with a small tripod, filters, spare batteries, etc.  This is configured as my "go anywhere" outfit.  My "designer" leather bag is prone to falling over and dumping its contents.  It now sees use as accessory storage and air freshener in my equipment cabinet. 

As usual, my lonely Canon sits in the cabinet.  Hey, at least it smells good. 

Cheers 'n beers,

George

Edited by K9GDT - George, 03 July 2014 - 12:31 PM.

• Double Negative likes this

Home designed and built ham radio gear:  http://www.qsl.net/k...radio/radio.htm

Updated 15JUL14

#14 sunnysideup

sunnysideup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:06 PM

I can't speak about their District bag, but I have their Tilopa backpack and I love it.

Andrew - andrewdahm.infoflickr

#15 David N.

David N.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:36 PM

I'm a fat old fart so looks don't mean that much to me besides I find canvas/leather/leather trim heavy.  Function means everything since I often leave the house with several intentions generally - wander, take some snaps, get a bite to eat and read a book (on Kindle generally).  Even with room for the camera, accessories, and Kindle most bags are missing two things that have become key to me.  1st is external expandable side/end pockets for sunglasses and/or water bottle on on end and phone on the near hand end.  The second is top bag access without opening and reversing the flap.  The subject bag has neither.  The Tamrac looks good for end/side pockets but it misses out on top access.  The Retrospective is interesting but misses both.  The TT Mirrorless Mover 30i has both as does the Tenba DNA models (I have the 11).  The top access is handled a little different on each but both serve.  Neither is leather and they don't look particularly cool but they don't look particularly dorky either.  The Tenba is for when I need a little extra room and I noticed not long ago it has damp/water protection on the bottom (I wish the TT MM30i did).  Both TT and Tenba seem to do a really good job of thinking function through and implementing it in a very user oriented manner. 

#16 cyclopath

cyclopath

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Local time: 11:52 AM
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:32 PM

Thanks for all the responses. Not many good camera stores in Australia near where I live so have to do most research and shopping online which makes bag buying a bit hard as I know it very personal. I am now leaning towards the new Timbuk2 2014 Classic Messenger bag with a removable Snoop insert. Seems to cover everything except for zipper access on top of the flap (which I like for quick access), however makes up for it by being able to use it as a standard bag with no camera insert when needed.

Anyone had any experience with one of these?

, that would be awesome if you get a chance to take some shots. 

1st is external expandable side/end pockets for sunglasses and/or water bottle on on end and phone on the near hand end.  The second is top bag access without opening and reversing the flap.  The subject bag has neither.  

The District series does have zipper access in the flap. Take a look at pic 6 on their website.

Fujifilm X-T1 | 23mm | 18-55mm | Instax Share SP-1 Printer

#17 David N.

David N.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:41 PM

The District series does have zipper access in the flap. Take a look at pic 6 on their website.

Yah...I saw that after I posted.  I actually looked at this before and was impressed but those two external pockets mean a lot to me for the way I use the bag.  Not only do I need a camera bag but it is a bit of a 'day' bag as well.  The TT MM30i and Tenba DNA 11 meet that requirement quite well even if they aren't the most stylish bags on the market. 

Edited by David N., 04 July 2014 - 07:42 PM.

#18 jypfoto

jypfoto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 05 July 2014 - 06:30 PM

Thanks for all the responses. Not many good camera stores in Australia near where I live so have to do most research and shopping online which makes bag buying a bit hard as I know it very personal. I am now leaning towards the new Timbuk2 2014 Classic Messenger bag with a removable Snoop insert. Seems to cover everything except for zipper access on top of the flap (which I like for quick access), however makes up for it by being able to use it as a standard bag with no camera insert when needed.

Anyone had any experience with one of these? 

, that would be awesome if you get a chance to take some shots.   The District series does have zipper access in the flap. Take a look at pic 6 on their website.

Sure no problem, I'll take some pictures of the bag tomorrow outside in good light. Tried taking some just now but have to keep the lights to a minimum so I don't wake my daughter and they came out looking like crap.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Accessory

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users