• Create Account

Welcome to Fuji X Forum!

Welcome to the Fuji X Forum, the largest online community of Fujifilm X camera users!

Creating a forum account is FREE!

The primary benefit to registering is so you can post in the community, and be notified when discussions are updated.

Other benefits include uploading photos, creating a photo gallery, getting answers to technical questions and assistance with trouble-shooting, communicate with other members via private messages, elgibility for contests, and more!

Registering is a simple process that requires minimal information. Become a part of the forum by signing in or creating an account. For your convenience you can sign in using Facebook, Twitter or Google.

We take pride in being the friendliest photo forum on the net.

Come on in join the fun!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

..strange serial number..

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 psy501

psy501

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 03:59 AM

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:46 AM

..hello..

..i am new to this forum but have read a lot meanwhile having my fuji x100 for about two weeks (bought it on ebay)..

..of course the af of the camera requires some getting used to but i really like the camera and it has some really gorgeous image quality..

..having read a lot about the camera itself i had a look at my serial number and found that my camera has a serial starting with 21L and so on which i could not find anything about on the net..as far as i have read the newest cameras start with 14..so i am just a bit curious why i have such a high starting serial number..refurbished maybe..?

..i called fuji germany (as i live in austria) and they let me know that from the structure of the serial this seems to be ok, but could not tell me about the 21..

..does someone here have a camera with a serial number higher than 14..?

..thx in advance, erik..

#2 palec

palec

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:52 PM

.having read a lot about the camera itself i had a look at my serial number and found that my camera has a serial starting with 21L and so on which i could not find anything about on the net..as far as i have read the newest cameras start with 14..so i am just a bit curious why i have such a high starting serial number..refurbished maybe..?

ah, those early buggy models, but first one spotted in wild to be dyslexic (mixed 12 for 21)?

#3 psy501

psy501

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:29 AM

ah, those early buggy models, but first one spotted in wild to be dyslexic (mixed 12 for 21)?

:blink: ..thx for your answer..nono..not mixing 12 and 21..
..my serial number is twentyoneLzerozerozero and so on.. :huh:

..anyone have any clue..?

#4 rbvght

rbvght

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:42 AM

This makes us curious for your firmware version ;-)

#5 psy501

psy501

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:20 PM

..ok..for the curious..
..its 21L00081..and there is nothing wrong with the camera.. :rolleyes: ..it works and i have bought it via ebay..
..but i just wonder why it starts with 21 as the highest serial on the net is starting with 14.. :blink:

#6 Kosmos

Kosmos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Local time: 02:59 AM
  • LocationYork, UK

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:04 PM

Hi all,
Bought my X100 from a photography retailer in the UK yesterday,
Serial begins with 21N. Firmware version 1.12

#7 Jay968

Jay968

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Local time: 06:59 PM

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:47 PM

Hi all,
Bought my X100 from a photography retailer in the UK yesterday,
Serial begins with 21N. Firmware version 1.12

It's my understanding that the first digit in the number is an indication of the year that the camera was manufactured, 1 meaning a manufacture during its first year of production, 2 meaning that it was manufactured during its second year (thus 2012).

#8 psy501

psy501

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:15 AM

B) ..
..thankx a lot..happy to hear that someone else has got a serial over 14.. :)
..just makes me approach it a bit more relaxed as maybe there is the new lens block built in..
..so maybe no sticky blades in the future.. ;)

#9 Gnaw

Gnaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Local time: 09:59 PM
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:32 AM

Mine is 21A and I bought it about a week ago.

#10 ylph

ylph

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL, USA

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:05 AM

It's my understanding that the first digit in the number is an indication of the year that the camera was manufactured, 1 meaning a manufacture during its first year of production, 2 meaning that it was manufactured during its second year (thus 2012).

It's not first/second year, it's the last digit of the calendar year (2011, 2012) The second digit is the quarter, so they went from 14 to 21 (2011 4th quarter to 2012 1st quarter)

You can confirm this looking at other Fuji cameras - for example the S5's made in 2006 and 2007 had serial numbers starting with 64,71,72,73 etc. (production started in 4th quarter of 2006 so 64 is the lowest serial number)

#11 flysurfer

flysurfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts
  • Local time: 04:59 AM
  • LocationNUE

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:05 AM

It's not first/second year, it's the last digit of the calendar year (2011, 2012) The second digit is the quarter, so they went from 14 to 21 (2011 4th quarter to 2012 1st quarter)

Well, then why does my X100 have a 12 serial number, yet the production date is early March 2011? :)

Maybe Fuji quarters don't really represent the calendar year? So when do Fuji quarters start?

#12 ylph

ylph

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:40 AM

How do you know your camera was made in early March ?

The earthquake/tsunami happened on March 11 2011 - and Fuji released a statement that the X100 production was halted as a result, and has not resumed until March 23 with shipments resuming in April.

I always assumed they rolled to 2nd quarter in their serial numbers after the earthquake, and all pre-earthquake cameras have a serial number starting with 11.

It is possible there are other factors in the second digit of the Fuji serial numbers - I am only guessing it corresponds to quarters, since they always seem to be one of 1,2,3,4 and issued consecutively throughout the year. It is also possible that the numbers were assigned differently as a result of the earthquake - such as cameras made in March before the earthquake, but not shipped until after, ended up with 12 serial numbers in April..

The idea that they assign serial numbers closer to shipping time would also be supported by the fact that the 3rd letter in the serial number seems to correspond to the region where the camera is being sold, despite them all being manufactured in the same factory - and I would assume this is not determined during manufacture, but only at some later time - but this is all complete speculation on my part...

#13 flysurfer

flysurfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts
  • LocationNUE

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:15 PM

How do you know your camera was made in early March

Because each cameras production date is in the EXIF maker notes.

#14 flysurfer

flysurfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts
  • LocationNUE

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:18 PM

but this is all complete speculation on my part...

Of course, but it's still interesting. Also note that the internal serial number in the EXIFs is different from the one printed on the body. However, lens serial numbers of the X-Mount lenses match in the EXIFs and the lens imprints. I like that, as this let's me easily identify shots with pre-production equipment simply by loading them in ExifTool.

In any case, it's a fair speculation that the body serial number is more of a marketing/shipping serial number (also reflecting the region where the camera is to be sold), while the internal number is reflecting the production date.

My X100 was built on March 7, 4 days before the earthquake. It's likely that it wasn't shipped before the quake, so that may explain the 2nd quarter serial number on the body.

#15 ylph

ylph

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:35 PM

Thanks for leading me to ExifTool ! I was using Panda IExif before, which does not understand all the custom Fuji tags, so I never noticed the internal serial number and date.

My camera is a 14M, with the manufacture date in EXIF of 10/31/2011 - purchased 12/26/2011 - so that is all consistent with a 4th quarter camera, whether manufactured or shipped.

I am still a bit unsure what the M means - I bought my camera in the US, but it's possible it was a gray market import - I've seen M cameras reported in Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, Philippines, Korea, New Zealand, Dubai and also Russia - so maybe some larger Asia/Pacific designation outside Japan (0) China (W) and Hong Kong (H)

#16 Bashar AR

Bashar AR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 848 posts
  • Local time: 10:59 PM
  • LocationEarth

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:15 PM

I have a black X100, it comes with 2 serials, one in the card x,,,/10000 and one on the battery/box "the real production serial" its 21B00526
so i think consider yourself lucky, your X-100 is probably a recent production run and would hopefully have less problems in the future...
www.basharar.com
X100 random gallery

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users