• Create Account

Welcome to Fuji X Forum!

Welcome to the Fuji X Forum, the largest online community of Fujifilm X camera users!

Creating a forum account is FREE!

The primary benefit to registering is so you can post in the community, and be notified when discussions are updated.

Other benefits include uploading photos, creating a photo gallery, getting answers to technical questions and assistance with trouble-shooting, communicate with other members via private messages, elgibility for contests, and more!

Registering is a simple process that requires minimal information. Become a part of the forum by signing in or creating an account. For your convenience you can sign in using Facebook, Twitter or Google.

We take pride in being the friendliest photo forum on the net.

Come on in join the fun!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Canon EOS 5D Mark II vs Canon EOS 7D vs Fujifilm Finepix X100

X100

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Marloon

Marloon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Local time: 07:12 AM

Posted 05 April 2011 - 05:25 PM

Disclaimer: PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THIS IS NOT A SCIENTIFIC TEST! THE FOLLOWING ARE JPEG OUTPUTS FROM THE MENTIONED CAMERAS AS THE X100 RAW FILES ARE NOT YET SUPPORTED BY ADOBE LR AND CS5. RAW PHOTOS WILL BE POSTED ONCE ACR IS RELEASED.

ORIGINAL IMAGE
Posted Image

Posted Image

ISO 200
Posted Image

ISO 400
Posted Image

ISO 800
Posted Image

ISO 1600
Posted Image

ISO 3200
Posted Image

ISO 6400
Posted Image

My notes:
- The buffer on the X100 is definitely horrible. I am using a class 4 SDHC card (15mb/s | 16gb) and it takes the camera 7 seconds to store the ONE raw + ONE large jpeg file onto the card. I am still able to take photos however, the buffer freezes the camera up and prevents me from changing ANY settings. This has become an issue in the field. A faster card is on it's way (45mb/s | 16gb) and that supposedly lowers the time down to 2 seconds - which is faster, but is still a slouch.
- The 7D and the 5D are definitely a lot faster with bigger buffers and of course, I didn't experience any slowdowns - which is of course expected.
- The X100 does have a significant amount of in-camera sharpening when it outputs jpegs but all of the settings were set to it's standard.
- It appears to me that the X100 does not have chroma noise but it's more grain like in comparison to the other cameras.
- After looking at these files for about an hour, I still don't know how many stops of advantage in terms of noise you'd get from an X100 compared to the 7D - to me, it looks like one stop.
- Oddly enough, the white grate behind the light stand starts to disappear ISO 3200 on the Fuji X100 and detail is lost by ISO 6400

I hope that you've enjoyed this test as much as I have. It's definitely feels nice to have a pocketable, lightweight that offers high image quality - one that you don't have to worry about/that is comparable to something like a 7D/5D, and has both manual and automatic features. I hope that Fujifilm will continue to develop this lineup - one that offers interchangeable lenses as there definitely is a market potential for these types of cameras.

I'm MARLON

Canon Platinum CPS member

Wordpress BlogTumblr BlogYoutube ChannelTwitterGear List

#2 Riz

Riz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • Local time: 02:12 PM
  • LocationRotherham, UK

Posted 05 April 2011 - 05:55 PM

Here's a link to my Canon EOS 5D Mark II vs Canon EOS 7D vs Fujifilm Finepix X100 test. Will be doing a video after my nursing finals.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

04/05/11 | 16:24 - Canon 5D Mark II vs Fujifilm X100 Comparison posted - Still waiting for 7D.

Wow looking good, your not the first forum member I've seen online who is blown away with the IQ of the Finepix X100 vs DSLR's etc.

I'm still waiting for a ETA of my X100, sold my Nikon D40 + 18-200mm VR to save up for the X100.

Riz :blink:
Fuji Finepix X100 Posted Image The Professionals Choice-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Flickr

#3 videogamemaker

videogamemaker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts
  • LocationIceland

Posted 05 April 2011 - 05:59 PM

Very cool to see! The 5D of course has a resolution boost, but the details it holds on to at high ISOs looks very comparable.

#4 Marloon

Marloon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 11:37 PM

There. I have fully updated it with NEW test photos.

I'm MARLON

#5 videogamemaker

videogamemaker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts
  • LocationIceland

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:04 AM

There. I have fully updated it with NEW test photos.

Can you clarify what is updated? I don't see any new images.

#6 brkl

brkl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Local time: 04:12 PM

Posted 08 April 2011 - 04:43 AM

I guess all the 7D images are new.

Are the exposure values consistant for all cameras? Same aperture, exposure duration?

#7 videogamemaker

videogamemaker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts
  • LocationIceland

Posted 08 April 2011 - 05:45 AM

Whoops, he updated this thread, I was looking for the link to POTN.

Since you got them at the same exposure and ISO, can you comment if the shutter speed was similar on the X100 to the other two? I'm curious since fingerpuk and a few other reviewers have said that the ISO seems a bit off (as if it's mis rated). I'm wondering if you found the shutter speed much longer on the X100 than the other two.

#8 Marloon

Marloon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 08:22 PM

The shutter speed did feel longer now that you've mentioned it. I will definitely check on this when I get off from work (gotta pay off the x100 somehow & I have to start saving up for the next iteration because I just LOVE this camera).

I'm MARLON

#9 arrkkkk

arrkkkk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Local time: 09:12 PM

Posted 09 April 2011 - 02:34 AM

Could you do the same test but this time taking portrait either in natural lighting or studio lighting intead of this liveless camera stand in a closet... The point is that I would like to see the skin tone and shadow noise in different ISO setting between these cameras, perhaps we can compare the dynamic range as well.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: X100

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users