• Create Account

Welcome to Fuji X Forum!

Welcome to the Fuji X Forum, the largest online community of Fujifilm X camera users!

Creating a forum account is FREE!

The primary benefit to registering is so you can post in the community, and be notified when discussions are updated.

Other benefits include uploading photos, creating a photo gallery, getting answers to technical questions and assistance with trouble-shooting, communicate with other members via private messages, elgibility for contests, and more!

Registering is a simple process that requires minimal information. Become a part of the forum by signing in or creating an account. For your convenience you can sign in using Facebook, Twitter or Google.

We take pride in being the friendliest photo forum on the net.

Come on in join the fun!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

35mm and 18mm hood caps

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Ario Arioldi

Ario Arioldi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Local time: 02:17 AM

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:16 PM

I do not know if it is only a problem of my own samples but the hood caps of both the 18mm and the 35mm are very loose and hardly stay in place. I have put some tape on the hoods to improve the grip but this seems not to be the proper solution.
Any idea?
Ario

#2 fearofhummingbird

fearofhummingbird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Local time: 05:17 PM

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:53 PM

I haven't received my camera yet. But I read on a forum somewhere that they have to be popped on - like tupperware. Then they are really secure.

#3 JSolomon

JSolomon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Local time: 12:17 AM
  • LocationLyon, France/Taipei, Taiwan

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:02 PM

Tupperware is something I remember from my childhood in the United States, but I have no idea what it is like today, so I cannot comment on the analogy. "Lock and Lock" it is not.

The hood cap on my 35 falls off quite easily, too. It is quite easy to "pop on"--there is no trick involved here--and it will not off simply because of gravity, yet gives up the goose at the slightest provocation. Just touching the edge of my Domke coming in or out of the bag is enough to bring it off.

#4 Ario Arioldi

Ario Arioldi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:39 PM

I haven't received my camera yet. But I read on a forum somewhere that they have to be popped on - like tupperware. Then they are really secure.

I wish the were like the "tapperware", believe me they are not, at least my own two samples.
Ario

#5 cdodkin

cdodkin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:29 PM

I do find that you can put the caps on and have them fall off - or push them on, and they will stay put unless knocked.

Still poor design though

Could be a mute issue as I've ordered new lens hoods for the 18mm and 35mm, as the existing hoods are useless when you need to adjust a filter such as a CPL or grad - there's simply no access! :(

Went with a vented metal hood

Posted Image

#6 HandcarryOnly

HandcarryOnly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Local time: 08:17 AM

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:42 AM

I've given up using either the pinch caps or the hood caps, so the lenses are in my camera bag with hood, but sans caps now. Let's me get into 'shooting mode' faster anyway :)
Travel and documentary photography and writing @ Handcarry Only

#7 MiZe

MiZe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Local time: 03:17 AM

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:12 AM

I do not know if it is only a problem of my own samples but the hood caps of both the 18mm and the 35mm are very loose and hardly stay in place. I have put some tape on the hoods to improve the grip but this seems not to be the proper solution.
Any idea?
Ario

My 35 mm has the same issue. Seems to be the design. Do you have the 60 mm as well? No problems there?

#8 MiZe

MiZe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:34 AM

I do find that you can put the caps on and have them fall off - or push them on, and they will stay put unless knocked.

Still poor design though

Could be a mute issue as I've ordered new lens hoods for the 18mm and 35mm, as the existing hoods are useless when you need to adjust a filter such as a CPL or grad - there's simply no access! :(

Went with a vented metal hood

Posted Image

And this looks so much better than the original :-) I really miss the look of the X100 hood!

Ebay? Do they come with some form of cap included, or would you know what third party caps would fit this hood?

The 35 mm seems prone to flare. Could you please report how well this hood reduces that?

#9 cdodkin

cdodkin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:50 AM

Sourced them from EBAY

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

No cap included - I'm guessing they will take a standard 52mm pinch cap - will confirm when they arrive.

Will take test shots to report back on flare when I get them as well

Chris.

#10 Ario Arioldi

Ario Arioldi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:34 AM

My 35 mm has the same issue. Seems to be the design. Do you have the 60 mm as well? No problems there?

The 60 mm hood does not have any cap. Due to the cylindrical shape you can use the regular lens cap, which is fine.

#11 juusom

juusom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:37 AM

Hmm, that hood looks very nice and it's cheap too. Only problem is now that seller is only shipping to US, I would need shipping to Europe. Have anyone seen these elsewhere?

#12 MiZe

MiZe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:40 AM

Hmm, that hood looks very nice and it's cheap too. Only problem is now that seller is only shipping to US, I would need shipping to Europe. Have anyone seen these elsewhere?

Seen and ordered :-)

A few EUR more but a cap is included.

#13 flysurfer

flysurfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts
  • LocationNUE

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:40 AM

It never occurred to me that one would or could use those hood caps when carrying the camera in the open. I was always under the impression that they were designed to protect the lens when carrying the lenses in the bag with the hood still attached. So I never ever put those caps on with the lens attached to the camera. I had to chuckle when I realized that folks were actually trying to run around with those sloppy things, for sure losing/dropping them all the time. ;) I really don't think this is a good idea.

There is a plastic lens protector included for each of the three lenses that won't fall off easily, I think this is the one you are supposed use on the road for lens protection, but you'll have to remove the hood in order to reach it. Remember, there never was a cap for the official X100 (or X10) lens hoods, the hood itself is supposed to be protection enough.

#14 juusom

juusom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:48 AM

Seen and ordered :-)

A few EUR more but a cap is included.

Wow, that was fast ;) Thank you very much.

#15 Polo

Polo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:38 AM

How about one of these:

I use them on my CV 15's metal cap, which always feels loose and I am afraid I will lose the cap one day somewhere. Not sure if they will stick on a rubber cap though.

#16 cdodkin

cdodkin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:10 PM

Lens hoods from EBAY arrived today - result! They look excellent and fit nicely

No vignetting on the 18mm - viewfinder view is not obscured as you can look through the slotted hood (as you'd hope)

The original pinch type lens caps now fit the hoods perfectly.

Will take photos tomorrow for ref

#17 milosz

milosz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Local time: 08:17 PM

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:26 PM

It never occurred to me that one would or could use those hood caps when carrying the camera in the open. I was always under the impression that they were designed to protect the lens when carrying the lenses in the bag with the hood still attached. So I never ever put those caps on with the lens attached to the camera. I had to chuckle when I realized that folks were actually trying to run around with those sloppy things, for sure losing/dropping them all the time. ;) I really don't think this is a good idea.

That was kind of what I assumed - I don't see a need for a lens cap with hoods like those on the native X lenses.

I didn't even use a cap with the hood on my X100, but I was careful to not have anything else in its compartment in my bag.

#18 Ario Arioldi

Ario Arioldi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:52 PM

That was kind of what I assumed - I don't see a need for a lens cap with hoods like those on the native X lenses.

I didn't even use a cap with the hood on my X100, but I was careful to not have anything else in its compartment in my bag.

Everybody is free ti choose if and when to use the hood caps, but the hood caps have to be designed and built to stay in place, there is no excuse.
Ario

#19 flysurfer

flysurfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts
  • LocationNUE

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:32 AM

Everybody is free ti choose if and when to use the hood caps, but the hood caps have to be designed and built to stay in place, there is no excuse.
Ario

Well, but they aren't, so just imagine that those caps don't exist at all and weren't part of the lens package. You know, just like it is with the X100, which also doesn't offer a cap for the (pretty expensive) lens hood.

I guess if Fuji had simply left out these caps, everybody would be happy? In any case, I don't remember rants about missing lens hoods caps for the X100... ;)

Personally, I take the rubber thingie as a nice addition to protect my lens while it is in the bag. That's what it is actually useful for IMHO, but nothing else.

#20 Matty Westside

Matty Westside

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Local time: 04:17 PM
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:33 PM

is the '52mm' on the hood a sticker or engraved into it?

No vignetting on the 18mm - viewfinder view is not obscured as you can look through the slotted hood (as you'd hope)

My Flickr Photos

Primary Cameras
Leica MP
Fuji X100S
Hasselblad 500 C/M

#21 Daremoshiranai

Daremoshiranai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:15 PM

@cdodkin, Any pictures with the ebay hood on the lens?

#22 cdodkin

cdodkin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:05 PM

Here you go - sorry for the delay in getting these posted - I was out taking photos with the new hoods attached! :)

Shown here on the 18mm lens:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Provided shade/flare protection as expected - did not obscure the OVF owing to them to being vented - no vignetting issues

#23 cdodkin

cdodkin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:07 PM

is the '52mm' on the hood a sticker or engraved into it?

Painted on - but always sits underneath the hood, so is not visible in normal use

#24 flysurfer

flysurfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts
  • LocationNUE

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:28 PM

Here you go - sorry for the delay in getting these posted - I was out taking photos with the new hoods attached! :)

Shown here on the 18mm lens:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Provided shade/flare protection as expected - did not obscure the OVF owing to them to being vented - no vignetting issues

What about obscuring the AF light?

#25 cdodkin

cdodkin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:45 PM

It's vented - so it shines right through

#26 awit04

awit04

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Local time: 11:17 AM

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:31 AM

They look great, I think I might go this route too :)

#27 flysurfer

flysurfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts
  • LocationNUE

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:55 AM

So did this hood come with a better cap, and how does it look with the cap attached?

#28 AusPhotoHiker

AusPhotoHiker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • Local time: 10:47 AM
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:11 AM

These would be great if they used the bayonet fitting Fuji provided on the lens. Not that keen on a threaded one.

One of the ebay versions linked requires a 62mm filter, I guess because it is further away from the front element. If it used the bayonet, standard filters and placement could be used.

Cheers, Mike.

X-Pro1 X-T1 14 18 27 35 60 18-55 50-230

#29 G.A.S

G.A.S

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 01:17 AM

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:12 AM

Do these hoods fit more securely then the originals?

Cheers

#30 cdodkin

cdodkin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:30 AM

So did this hood come with a better cap, and how does it look with the cap attached?

There are currently two models of hood on EBAY

This one comes without a new hood - and the existing Fuji pinch type caps that came with the lenses fit perfectly - AND DO NOT FALL OFF!

The 2nd type, which I also have on order, comes with it's own pinch cap (62mm) and will also take a 62mm filter

I'll post a picture of the hood with Fuji cap shortly

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users