• Create Account

18-135mm now in stock!

Fuji USA Specials - EXTENDED! PLUS: 14mm, 23mm, 35mm specials coming soon!

Welcome to Fuji X Forum!

Welcome to the Fuji X Forum, the largest online community of Fujifilm X camera users!

Creating a forum account is FREE!

The primary benefit to registering is so you can post in the community, and be notified when discussions are updated.

Other benefits include uploading photos, creating a photo gallery, getting answers to technical questions and assistance with trouble-shooting, communicate with other members via private messages, elgibility for contests, and more!

Registering is a simple process that requires minimal information. Become a part of the forum by signing in or creating an account. For your convenience you can sign in using Facebook, Twitter or Google.

We take pride in being the friendliest photo forum on the net.

Come on in join the fun!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Found an LCD protector to fit X-Pro1

X-Pro1

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Jager

Jager

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Local time: 02:29 PM

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:09 PM

If anyone was looking for an LCD protector for the new Fuji X-Pro1, the Giottos SP 8306 fits without blocking any of the LCD viewing screen. The Giottos is listed as fitting the Canon EOS 450D and one of the Sony DSLRs, but not listed for the X-Pro1. After some careful measurements and perusing Giottos website for the measurement of the actual LCD screen, I ordered the SP 8306.

I received the Giottos SP 8306 today and mounted it to the right just a mm or 2 so the black frame of the Giottos doesn't cover the icons on the left side of the LCD. The Giottos will mount on the X-Pro1 LCD black frame surround and allow full view of the LCD screen for an unobstructed view.

#2 terry

terry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Local time: 11:29 AM

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:42 PM

I use protectors (film style -like for iPhones) on all of my cameras from screenpatronus. com I ordered the x-pro1 protectors over the weekend and should have them by Wednesday. I will report back then.
  • cmkhor likes this

#3 Jager

Jager

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:47 PM

I use protectors (film style -like for iPhones) on all of my cameras from screenpatronus. com I ordered the x-pro1 protectors over the weekend and should have them by Wednesday. I will report back then.

I have used the Zagg Invisible Shield myself on several cameras in the past, but wasn't completely thrilled with the lack of clarity. Therefore, my past three protector have either been Giottos or GGS. I like the clarity with either one of those.

Since the X-Pro1 is so new to release in the US, specific LCD protectors are hard or impossible to find right now. A situation that is sure to improve soon, I'm sure.

#4 Arjay

Arjay

Admin

• Administrators
  • 8,104 posts
  • Local time: 08:29 PM
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:05 PM

I received the Giottos SP 8306 today and mounted it to the right just a mm or 2 so the black frame of the Giottos doesn't cover the icons on the left side of the LCD. The Giottos will mount on the X-Pro1 LCD black frame surround and allow full view of the LCD screen for an unobstructed view.

Somehow, I don't quite understand how you mounted the protector: If you shift it right by a mm or two, then it ought to cover the icons on the left side of the monitor instead of leaving the view unobstructed. Can you show us a picture of the protector mounted on the camera, please?

#5 Long P Vo

Long P Vo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Local time: 12:29 PM
  • LocationCONUS

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:33 PM

Any 3.0" hard LCD protector (GGS ACMAXX Giot..)will fit the screen and bezel perfectly

#6 Jager

Jager

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:39 PM

Somehow, I don't quite understand how you mounted the protector: If you shift it right by a mm or two, then it ought to cover the icons on the left side of the monitor instead of leaving the view unobstructed. Can you show us a picture of the protector mounted on the camera, please?

Here is the pic of the Giottos. If it is not positioned correctly and carefully, one can cause the icons of "Drive, AE, AF" to be covered by the black frame of the protector.
Hope this helps.

Not just any 3" protector will work as most screen protector measurements are diagonal. I had another Giottos 3" screen and placed it over the X-Pro1's LCD a to see how it fit. The regular 3" protector covered some of the viewable LCD. That's why I measured carefully by mm and located one that was correctly sized. But, each to their own.

Attached Files

• Kir likes this

#7 robk47

robk47

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Local time: 01:29 PM
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:25 PM

I have the AC.MAXX and it works great and does not cover the little icons on the left. Just ordered a second one for my X10. $23 with free shipping from the West Coast...

#8 terry

terry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 06:18 PM

I have used the Zagg Invisible Shield myself on several cameras in the past, but wasn't completely thrilled with the lack of clarity. Therefore, my past three protector have either been Giottos or GGS. I like the clarity with either one of those.

Since the X-Pro1 is so new to release in the US, specific LCD protectors are hard or impossible to find right now. A situation that is sure to improve soon, I'm sure.

I think the Zagg's are much heavier than the ones I use. Can't even tell they are on the camera and they come cut and sized for each different LCD - camera specific.

#9 Arjay

Arjay

Admin

• Administrators
  • 8,104 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:51 AM

I have the AC.MAXX and it works great and does not cover the little icons on the left. Just ordered a second one for my X10. $23 with free shipping from the West Coast...

Do you have an image of the screen protector installed on the camera?

Do you have a shop link?

#10 aquaCA

aquaCA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Local time: 10:29 AM
  • LocationCA, USA

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:30 AM

I have the GSS and it fits perfectly. I'll post a pic later.

#11 Mookie

Mookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY USA

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:06 AM

Model numbers for the ACMAXX and GSS?

Thanks
"No photographer is as good as the simplest camera." - Steichen

#12 aquaCA

aquaCA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationCA, USA

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:08 AM

Got mine on Amazon:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Model numbers for the ACMAXX and GSS?

Thanks

#13 Mookie

Mookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:14 PM

Got mine on Amazon:

Thanks - ordered one to give it a try.

#14 ergoforce

ergoforce

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Local time: 07:29 PM

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:09 PM

How about Vikuiti - 3M? I use smaller sizes Vikuiti for my X100 and it's ok.

#15 aquaCA

aquaCA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationCA, USA

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:29 PM

GSS lcd protector on X-Pro1 (pics):

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#16 RustedChrome

RustedChrome

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:45 PM

Looks good. I'll have to give it a try. I have a film type protector on there now that I cut down from a smartphone size.

#17 terry

terry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:04 AM

Screenpatronus.com lcd protectors arrived yesterday perfect fit (they come custom cut for each camera). I use them on every single camera.

#18 Damien Lovegrove

Damien Lovegrove

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts
  • LocationNailsea, North Somerset UK

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:06 PM

This is really great info. I get what you mean about a nudge to the right. Thank you for taking the time and a bit of 'non understanding' stick for sharing this.

I've found the Schott glass coupled with the fantastic coating on the Giottos screen protectors worth the extra investment over other glass or film types. The rest exhibit a 'lift' with flare or fogging that means the shadows in the image are a bit washed out. The Giottos are clear and full of contrast.

Best regards, Damien.

Fujifilm X-Pro1 with 14mm, 35mm,18-55mm and 60mm lenses. Fujifilm X100 in black, Fujifilm X10. Nikon D700 & the three f/2.8 zooms. Canon 5D2 with 21mm Zeiss, 50mm Canon and 100mm Canon lenses.

Blog ~ Personal website ~ Photography lighting shop ~ Photography Training and experiences ~ Twitter ~ Facebook ~ YouTube ~ Vimeo ~ Book

#19 Long P Vo

Long P Vo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Local time: 12:29 PM
  • LocationCONUS

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:17 PM

Here is GGS

#20 AsylumPhoto

AsylumPhoto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:59 PM

I've never really understood the point... am I missing something? I understand it on things like phones, but maybe I treat my cameras too well :lol:
  • paul szilard likes this

#21 Mookie

Mookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:52 PM

I was using a good quality film protector for the LCD. But as you can see in photo1, it is pretty scratched up after quite a few times in and out of the bag or bouncing against my hip.

On other cameras I had used Giottos, but the fit didn't seem right on the X-Pro1 (only based on online pics I have seen). On the advice of this thread I picked up the GGS. While not having as many coatings as the Giottos it fits perfectly (see photo2 - ignore all orientation - iPhone and a lazy guy = WYSIWYG)

Thanks,

Alex

Attached Files

#22 Mandrake

Mandrake

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:07 AM

Looks like rainbowimaging has one....

#23 ianbw

ianbw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationNYC, North Fork of Long Island

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:19 AM

I just put the Giottos 8306 on and am very happy with the fit. I had originally put a film-type protector on, but I really like the glass better. Now if I can just retrain myself to shoot with my right eye, I can stop having to remove nose-prints from the LCD.

#24 Mandrake

Mandrake

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:32 PM

I just put the Giottos 8306 on and am very happy with the fit. I had originally put a film-type protector on, but I really like the glass better. Now if I can just retrain myself to shoot with my right eye, I can stop having to remove nose-prints from the LCD.

lol, I'm a left eye shooter as well. Hard to just switch.

#25 ergoforce

ergoforce

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:37 PM

Don't worry. It will get greasy enough no matter which eye. :) I have Giottos and I shoot with the right eye.

#26 lamlux

lamlux

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:24 PM

Great thanks for finding out which Giottos protector fits, I love them, I had one of my M8 and it worked a treat.
-Dave
lamlux.net

#27 artuk

artuk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Local time: 06:29 PM

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:04 AM

It's one of those thin adhesive glass protectors?

Just a word of warning from a couple of stories - some bond so tightly they may be almost impossible to remove, and some have been reported to peel away the surface of the screen in some way when removed.

(Obviously, if you never want to remove it, it's not a problem).

#28 Arjay

Arjay

Admin

• Administrators
  • 8,104 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:21 AM

Just a word of warning from a couple of stories - some bond so tightly they may be almost impossible to remove, and some have been reported to peel away the surface of the screen in some way when removed.

Somebody here in this forum has posted a solution to this problem: Take a thin but strong thread and pull it along the protective cover's rim until it slides between the LCD and the protective cover. You can then pull it all around the frame, and once the turn is complete, the cover will come off easily.

#29 Mandrake

Mandrake

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:16 AM

There is also the hair dryer method, just don't melt anything on your system. ;)

#30 artuk

artuk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Local time: 06:29 PM

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:46 AM

Somebody here in this forum has posted a solution to this problem: Take a thin but strong thread and pull it along the protective cover's rim until it slides between the LCD and the protective cover. You can then pull it all around the frame, and once the turn is complete, the cover will come off easily.

Ok thanks, good tip! I looked at the protectors mentioned, it seems they only have glue at the edges - the examples I heard about were glass protectors which were attached to entire screen surface. They sounded great unless you ever wanted to remove them.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: X-Pro1

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users