• Create Account

Welcome to Fuji X Forum!

Welcome to the Fuji X Forum, the largest online community of Fujifilm X camera users!

Creating a forum account is FREE!

The primary benefit to registering is so you can post in the community, and be notified when discussions are updated.

Other benefits include uploading photos, creating a photo gallery, getting answers to technical questions and assistance with trouble-shooting, communicate with other members via private messages, elgibility for contests, and more!

Registering is a simple process that requires minimal information. Become a part of the forum by signing in or creating an account. For your convenience you can sign in using Facebook, Twitter or Google.

We take pride in being the friendliest photo forum on the net.

Come on in join the fun!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Custom Settings?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Felts

Felts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Local time: 03:09 AM

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:20 PM

Hi All,

I've just been delving into the custom settings that can be easily re-accessed in the Q Menu. I LOVE the look of the B&W film setting with the shadows pushed to +2. It gives a really great contrasty look which is perfect for Black & White... It works well when you have stong light in a scene for example.

I also like the Pro Neg Std with Colour set to -1, giving a muted feel to proceedings.

Anybody else having a play with the custom settings and found any combinations that work well so that less work is necessary in PP?
***My Flickr Photos *** My Website***www.andyfelthamphotography.com***

#2 fearofhummingbird

fearofhummingbird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Local time: 07:09 PM

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:07 PM

Hi All,

I've just been delving into the custom settings that can be easily re-accessed in the Q Menu. I LOVE the look of the B&W film setting with the shadows pushed to +2. It gives a really great contrasty look which is perfect for Black & White... It works well when you have stong light in a scene for example.

I also like the Pro Neg Std with Colour set to -1, giving a muted feel to proceedings.

Anybody else having a play with the custom settings and found any combinations that work well so that less work is necessary in PP?

With my X100 and now the XPro1, I've been shooting in camera B&W JPEG. Yes I know I am going against conventional wisdom which is to convert in post. But I just like how Fuji manages digital noise when they do the conversion. Very film like in my opinion. Right now I have both highlight and shadow contrast bumped to +2, NR neutral (am considering turning it off entirely). I have been bracketing with the red and yellow filter and Pro Neg Std. Loving the monochrome look I'm getting.

#3 jknights

jknights

• Moderators
  • 5,685 posts
  • Local time: 04:09 AM
  • LocationOliva, Valencia, Spain

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:38 PM

Yes that is a very nice look.I need to experiment with all these custom settings a bit more. I would like to set up an IR one.

I wish it was possible to actually name these custom settings rather than have to remember the custom number.
Always Nikon and Fuji cameras.

Still learning after all these years!
Website http://www.jmknights.com

#4 jknights

jknights

• Moderators
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:03 PM

I set up a whole set of custom profiles and also changed the Fn to allow selection pf profiles rather than ISO.This works very well for me.
The X-Pro1 really is opening up a lot of easier ways of approaching shooting opportunites.

#5 Felts

Felts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:16 PM

With my X100 and now the XPro1, I've been shooting in camera B&W JPEG. Yes I know I am going against conventional wisdom which is to convert in post. But I just like how Fuji manages digital noise when they do the conversion. Very film like in my opinion. Right now I have both highlight and shadow contrast bumped to +2, NR neutral (am considering turning it off entirely). I have been bracketing with the red and yellow filter and Pro Neg Std. Loving the monochrome look I'm getting.

Sounds interesting... I'll give bumping up the Highlight contrast to +2 a go tomorrow. Day off! B) Haven't tried film bracketing yet either. I have to say with my X100 I never experimented with any in-camera JPEG settings, and I loved the fact that I was always set to shoot without menu diving. However due to the Quick Menu it seems much more possible due to it being, well... quick.

#6 flysurfer

flysurfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts
  • LocationNUE

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:42 PM

Sounds interesting... I'll give bumping up the Highlight contrast to +2 a go tomorrow. Day off! B) Haven't tried film bracketing yet either. I have to say with my X100 I never experimented with any in-camera JPEG settings, and I loved the fact that I was always set to shoot without menu diving. However due to the Quick Menu it seems much more possible due to it being, well... quick.

That's a bit like saying: "With my new Porsche, I never experimented shifting beyond 2nd gear." ;)

#7 Borge

Borge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:47 PM

I have customized all my Custom settings (C1-C7) on my X-Pro1 with the following settings. Each of them renders the images differently, and I really love all of them. They all have their purpose. Let me know if you like them or have any other settings to recommend:

C1: Default setting for regular shots
ISO: Auto 3200
DR: Auto
Film: Pro Neg. Hi
Color: +1

C2: Portrait setting
Film: Astia Soft
Color: +1
Sharpness: +1

C3: Landscape / nature setting
Film: Velvia
Shadow Tone: +1

C4: Muted / old style setting
Film: Pro Neg. Std
Color: -1

C5: Tweaked default Provia setting
Film: Provia standard

C6: B&W Neutral setting
DR: 100
Film: Monochrome
Shadow Tone: +1

C7: B&W High contrast setting
DR: 100
Film: Monochrome + Ye filter
Highlight Tone: +2
Shadow Tone: +2

Settings that are not mentioned in each profile are not changed from the default "0".
  • Felts, rob!, PetS and 1 other like this

#8 Felts

Felts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:23 PM

That's a bit like saying: "With my new Porsche, I never experimented shifting beyond 2nd gear." ;)

It was the menu diving that irked me, and I preferred to change things in post... I guess driving in 2nd meant that I enjoyed the scenery more :)

#9 flysurfer

flysurfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts
  • LocationNUE

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:37 PM

It was the menu diving that irked me, and I preferred to change things in post... I guess driving in 2nd meant that I enjoyed the scenery more :)

Like all X cameras, the X100 has been designed to change all those settings later using its internal RAW converter. There's absolutely no need to care about those settings (or go menu diving) while you are actually shooting stuff. Just concentrate on your subject , focus and exposure and think about film simulations, color, contrast, noise, etc. later.

That said, it's reasonable to create and store a few basic custom settings for different shooting applications, such as infrared, black&white, RAW only, etc. In this regard, the additional custom sets of the X-Pro1 are very welcome.

It's also smart to have a set wih Auto-DR and Auto-ISO, and one with fixed ISO and DR100%.

#10 Luke_Y

Luke_Y

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Local time: 09:09 PM

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:57 AM

Sure wish you could name them. :(
  • xprokeeefy likes this

#11 Sapphie

Sapphie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • Local time: 02:09 AM
  • LocationDevon, UK

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:22 AM

Sure wish you could name them. :(

Indeed, 7 custom settings is great but how will I remember what each does?! Please can Fuji allow us to name them with a firmware upgrade.

Re the in-camera RAW processing - yes it is good but (as I have mentioned before) being able to select several, or all, pictures and batch convert them would be great, rather to have to do one at a time. The only thing you are stuck with here is the DR as you can't have a DR setting higher than that used with the original RAW.

Lee

#12 Sapphie

Sapphie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • Local time: 02:09 AM
  • LocationDevon, UK

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:24 AM

I have customized all my Custom settings (C1-C7) on my X-Pro1 with the following settings. Each of them renders the images differently, and I really love all of them. They all have their purpose. Let me know if you like them or have any other settings to recommend:

Thanks for sharing these. Do you find the default Velvia sharpness a little soft? I ask because I think I do and you have increased it for your Velvia custom setting.

Lee

#13 flysurfer

flysurfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts
  • LocationNUE

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:08 PM

Indeed, 7 custom settings is great but how will I remember what each does?! Please can Fuji allow us to name them with a firmware upgrade.

That's funny, because each new firmware upgrade will subsequently erase all names along with the settings. :D

#14 Arjay

Arjay

Admin

• Administrators
  • 8,527 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:20 PM

That's funny, because each new firmware upgrade will subsequently erase all names along with the settings. :D

Well, wouldn't that be a convincing argument to pitch Fuji for saving all configuration and custom settings when doing a firmware upgrade? I think it is high time that Fuji should catch up with the rest of the camera makers in this regard.

Being the odd man out can instill pride, but it doesn't bring any benefits to us users. This is a camera for advanced photographers, meaning that it quite certainly isn't the first serious camera for most of us. Thus, it would really be helpful for users if this cameras user interface would adhere to some of the proven UI standards in the industry. We all would come to love it even quicker. ;)
  • rob! likes this

#15 flysurfer

flysurfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts
  • LocationNUE

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:24 PM

Well, wouldn't that be a convincing argument to pitch Fuji for saving all configuration and custom settings when doing a firmware upgrade? I think it is high time that Fuji should catch up with the rest of the camera makers in this regard.

Not just in this regard.

I'm still amazed how the camera manages to reset everything when updating only a lens. I guess a dozen Fuji engineers worked overtime to accomplish this terrific task.

#16 Arjay

Arjay

Admin

• Administrators
  • 8,527 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:27 PM

Not just in this regard.

Hehe - I didn't want to become OT. ;)

#17 AsylumPhoto

AsylumPhoto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
  • Local time: 09:09 PM

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:08 PM

My main custom setting is:

Auto ISO (3200)
DR Auto
Highlights -2 Soft
Shadows -1 Medium Soft
NR -2 Low
Std film

and I keep my exposure compensation dial at -2/3 or more

This has given me jpegs with latitude that I'm comfortable with to play around in ACR during post. :)

For night shooting, I'm going to keep the above, but ISO to 6400 and NR at standard probably.

For Infrared shooting

ISO 3200
DR Auto
WB 2500K w/ adjustment graph maximized Blue/Cyan
Highlights -2 Soft
Shadows 0 Neutral
BW+G film simulation

#18 jknights

jknights

• Moderators
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:18 PM

I wish the was a way to Save Custom Settings and Restore Custom Settings to/from the Sd card.
The update of firmware dumps all these items.This really should not occur. Fuji please fix!

#19 cyberprimate

cyberprimate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • LocationParis

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:18 PM

Since I prefer working with RAW, I'd imagine the best setting for me would be one that makes a JPEG look as close as possible to what I get when I'd open the RAW file in Raw Photo Processor or ACR. That way I can maybe tweak the real settings (speed, iso,…) better and spend less time on my computer.

#20 Kumara

Kumara

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationBhur Loka

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:07 AM

Gents,

I was playing around with the Custom Profiles and noticed through various firmware updates these are now preserved, i'n'it?

I also noticed one thing that is still a bit obscure with me about the White Balance -> Color Shift to max Green I use for IR photos: it seems to be stored in Custom Profiles too, as I can switch back & forth to a Color Standard Profile Auto WB + centered Color Shift.

Can someone please confirm is it so?

I would appreciate it and I would not have to worry about changing from a profile to another in shooting without having to (forget) double check the Color Shift.

Cheers

#21 jknights

jknights

• Moderators
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:26 AM

Yes one of the updates gave us the expected behaviour of no loss of settings and other customisations.

I recently started to use my X100 again and couldnt believe how lacking the camera was with only three sets of custom settings compared to the seven on my XPro1 and X-E1.

#22 Kumara

Kumara

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationBhur Loka

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:17 AM

For the moment I'm using just two profiles: one for colour and one for B&W ir. I don't think I really need more as I shoot always in raw so I prefer editing afterwards using the computer or the excellent raw converter of the camera for referencing.

What I would really appreciate would be to have a few more customizable lens profiles and the possibility to customize their EXIF with more details.

Do you also confirm the custom color shift (I should add here this function is a little awkardly placed) will stay with a saved wb custom profile?

#23 jknights

jknights

• Moderators
  • 5,685 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:14 AM

For the moment I'm using just two profiles: one for colour and one for B&W ir. I don't think I really need more as I shoot always in raw so I prefer editing afterwards using the computer or the excellent raw converter of the camera for referencing.

What I would really appreciate would be to have a few more customizable lens profiles and the possibility to customize their EXIF with more details.

Do you also confirm the custom color shift (I should add here this function is a little awkardly placed) will stay with a saved wb custom profile?

Yes I can confirm the custom colour shift stays with the custom profile. I seems strange but it works.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users