• Create Account

Welcome to Fuji X Forum!

Welcome to the Fuji X Forum, the world's largest online community of Fujifilm X camera users!

Creating a forum account is FREE! or CLICK HERE TO LOG IN

Registration enables you to post in the community, and be notified to replies.

Other benefits: sharing photos, creating a photo gallery, get answers to technical questions, assistance with trouble-shooting, elgibility for contests, and more!

Registering is easy and simple. Become a part of the forum by creating an account. You can also log in using Facebook, Twitter or Google.

We take pride in being the friendliest photo forum on the net.

Come on in join the fun!

Note: after registering if you don't see the validation email, check your spam folder.
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

[REVIEW] X100 Using x1.5 tele conversion lens

X100

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#16 Luka Cyprian

Luka Cyprian
  • Topic Starter
  • 80 posts
  • Local time: 10:57 PM
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:40 PM

Upon search it appeared the RCA model you used is quite rare in the United States and most on ebay are around $58 US.

I look forward to using this for portraits at f2

Please post your results :-)

#17 adriaantie

adriaantie
  • 12 posts
  • Local time: 05:57 AM

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:07 PM

Got me the Sony for 30 euro today. Now i am waiting for the step-up ring. Looks like some fun to use the converter. Thanks for the tip.

#18 Luka Cyprian

Luka Cyprian
  • Topic Starter
  • 80 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 12 October 2012 - 01:30 PM

Got me the Sony for 30 euro today. Now i am waiting for the step-up ring. Looks like some fun to use the converter. Thanks for the tip.

Glad to help, please post results so we can compare the quality of images from the different lenses.

Like I said above, I think it's just one OEM making them all, but perhaps there are differences between Sony/Olympus/RCA... worth looking into :-)

#19 nole0202

nole0202
  • 6 posts
  • Local time: 03:57 AM

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:45 PM

I bught the RCA one on eBay new BIN for $30 with free shipping.

#20 Friktus

Friktus
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 07:57 AM

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:48 AM

thanks for the post sparked an interest in me . Im Europe and found this listing. its says for Video but would it be suitable ?

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Well above link no good for me due to high postage cost and possible import tax.
Found this one below also, Sony TeleConverter 1.5x VCL-1558 A at ebay uk. Seems like a decent price.

#21 golgo13

golgo13

marksman

• Premium Member
  • 1,776 posts
  • Local time: 12:57 AM
  • Locationeverywhere

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:59 AM

Buy the RCA version. I have two (accident). This lens has been tested. The SONY MIGHT be the same lens, it might not. Don't even risk it. Just buy what was tested and you can't go wrong.

#22 Jed Orme

Jed Orme
  • 172 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:21 PM

thanks for the post sparked an interest in me . Im Europe and found this listing. its says for Video but would it be suitable ?

Well above link no good for me due to high postage cost and possible import tax.
Found this one below also, Sony TeleConverter 1.5x VCL-1558 A at ebay uk. Seems like a decent price.

I just paid $30 US for the exact same Sony Teleconverter lens through the bid/auction process, but most US Buy It Now prices at the same time were around $60 US & up. So you're probably in the ballpark for a reasonable deal. I couldn't find any of the other lenses so I don't know if that says anything about the Sony's IQ versus the rest. Still would prefer to have something made by Fuji for this camera as I really hate to do anything that diminishes the output capabilities of it. Particularly after reading on this forum that the Fuji WCL-X100 may actually be sharper at some focal lengths & light conditions. And something a bit more than the 50mm range would be nice. We can keep hoping I guess.

Jed

#23 Luka Cyprian

Luka Cyprian
  • Topic Starter
  • 80 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:43 PM

Hi Friktus,

I guess this needs some clarifying.
Most of the lenses I listed, you are correct, were made for camcorders (VHS, Hi8, 8mm, etc) but since they have the necessary fitting and lens placements, they will work for our X100 cameras.

The only exception is the Canon lens, which I believe is designed for photo-camera applications... this one has the potential to yield different results than those shown by myself and golgo13.

The Sony lens you are looking at will "probably" have similar results to the RCA lx152a... only one way to find out :-)

#24 adriaantie

adriaantie
  • 12 posts
  • Local time: 05:57 AM

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:43 AM

Last weekend i did some shooting with the Sony 1.5. It gave some weird and fun distortion. Only the centre is sharp. But it can give some creative shots. The foto's where just some quick snaps and jpegs.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#25 Luka Cyprian

Luka Cyprian
  • Topic Starter
  • 80 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:05 PM

Last weekend i did some shooting with the Sony 1.5. It gave some weird and fun distortion. Only the centre is sharp. But it can give some creative shots. The foto's where just some quick snaps and jpegs.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Awesome shots adriaantie!
Thank you for submitting your results of the Sony VCL-1558A.

I think we can lay to rest my initial assumption that the lenses I listed by rca/sony/olympus are in fact made by a single manufacturer and re-branded as necessary.
If there is any variation, it is minimal, so if you like the "look" denoted by this type of lens feel free to grab whichever variant is available cheaply in your area.

Since these were originally designed for VHS/8mm cameras perhaps the only way we can get an improved image (w/o the edge softness) would be to go to true photography tele conversion lenses. Examples would be the Olympus TCON17 or Canon TC-DC58A. If anyone has these lenses, please try them out and post results as well :-)

#26 sebastian-p

sebastian-p
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 07:57 AM

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:59 PM

Hi all, a longtime lurker and a very amateur user of X100, i recently bought a vintage "Kowa TELEPHOTO 1.7 1:4" lens after having read this and other similar threads here. Just to see what kind of photos it takes on X100  :P

As it was requested, i'll post here under a photo of the lens on the camera, and a photo taken with it that'll give a pretty good idea of how it behaves with X100.

Here's the lens:

First, it's rather big and heavy. The vignetting is visible, and it has a pretty small sweetspot for focus in the middle, and the edges are soft. I took a photo of something with lines so that you can see the distortion. I think this is supposedly a "true photography" telelens.

I've not yet played a lot with it but i like the effects.

Price: xBay 18 euros.

#27 Luka Cyprian

Luka Cyprian
  • Topic Starter
  • 80 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

Hi all, a longtime lurker and a very amateur user of X100, i recently bought a vintage "Kowa TELEPHOTO 1.7 1:4" lens after having read this and other similar threads here. Just to see what kind of photos it takes on X100  :P

As it was requested, i'll post here under a photo of the lens on the camera, and a photo taken with it that'll give a pretty good idea of how it behaves with X100.

Here's the lens:

attachicon.gif

First, it's rather big and heavy. The vignetting is visible, and it has a pretty small sweetspot for focus in the middle, and the edges are soft. I took a photo of something with lines so that you can see the distortion. I think this is supposedly a "true photography" telelens.

attachicon.gif

I've not yet played a lot with it but i like the effects.

Price: xBay 18 euros.

Thanks for submitting this lens, I can't seem to add it to the "master" list on the first page but the results look quite unique.

If you can find it for cheap, consider a Canon TC-58a or Olympus TCON17 or B300... they are on my short list this year for new lenses.

With the imminent release of the X100S... perhaps we will finally receive a new teleconvertor as well... but we'll have to wait till Monday to find out :-).

#28 golgo13

golgo13

marksman

• Premium Member
  • 1,776 posts
  • Local time: 12:57 AM
  • Locationeverywhere

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:05 PM

Thanks for submitting this lens, I can't seem to add it to the "master" list on the first page but the results look quite unique.

If you can find it for cheap, consider a Canon TC-58a or Olympus TCON17 or B300... they are on my short list this year for new lenses.

With the imminent release of the X100S... perhaps we will finally receive a new teleconvertor as well... but we'll have to wait till Monday to find out :-).

This is what I am hoping and betting they will release. We can probably bet the wcl-x100 lens will work on it. This is great.

#29 Luka Cyprian

Luka Cyprian
  • Topic Starter
  • 80 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:54 AM

IMPORTANT INFO RE: Olympus TCON-17, TCON-17X, and B300

If you are considering purchasing ANY of the above lenses to use as a tele converter for your X100, please note that you WILL experience severe vignetting on your images.  The rear element (pupil) diameter on these lenses is only ~34mm and not large enough to clear the viewing angle of the X100 lens.

For proof here are sample shots from a dpreview user (scroll down to see TCON17 example):  

That being said, the TCON17 lens is still super clear dead center and with cropping will deliver great results.  But, if you do not want to crop out every single image you take, please save yourself the ~$80USD (for used).

#30 BlueBuddha

BlueBuddha
  • 36 posts
  • Local time: 06:57 AM

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:26 AM

Thanks everyone for the infomormation on this thread.

I've just picked up a new, unused Sony 1.5 tele complete with a belt-case for £5 off ebay. Feels great on the camera and I hope to try it out over the Easter weekend, :rolleyes:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: X100