• Create Account

Welcome to Fuji X Forum!

Welcome to the Fuji X Forum, the largest online community of Fujifilm X camera users!

Creating a forum account is FREE!

The primary benefit to registering is so you can post in the community, and be notified when discussions are updated.

Other benefits include uploading photos, creating a photo gallery, getting answers to technical questions and assistance with trouble-shooting, communicate with other members via private messages, elgibility for contests, and more!

Registering is a simple process that requires minimal information. Become a part of the forum by signing in or creating an account. For your convenience you can sign in using Facebook, Twitter or Google.

We take pride in being the friendliest photo forum on the net.

Come on in join the fun!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

JLM Grip and L-Plate for X-E1 and X-Pro1

X-E1 X-Pro1

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#31 Photogeo180

Photogeo180

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Local time: 02:39 AM
  • LocationCincinnati-OH-USA and Athens - Greece

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:36 PM

Thanks for posting the pics Dogonit!

Enjoy it, looks very nice  :)

“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it.” Ansel Adams

#32 jmilich

jmilich

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:47 PM

if you are a tripod user, once you get into the groove of using a tripod clamp, the L-plate is very nice. ;)

#33 Fujikiko

Fujikiko

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Local time: 01:39 AM

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:42 PM

Dogonit,

Would it be too much trouble if I ask you to take a Cell Phone Photo of the BOTTOM of the Grip-Plate you have, with the Camera attached?
I would appreciate it.

#34 Dogonit

Dogonit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Local time: 10:39 PM
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:53 PM

Ask and ye shall receive. Ignore my strap mount - it's in the tripod threads.

Attached Files

#35 Fujikiko

Fujikiko

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:54 PM

Thank you, Dogonit.

No, I cannot ignore your Slingshot style strap attachment.
I like it too much!
I personally can't stand Neck straps or Wrist straps attached to the original side lugs and interfering with the operation of such compact camera. I don't need strap ends rubbing between my thumb and index finger while I am manipulating the controls.

I see that John Milich did not make your plate with the silver pin and a cutout for attaching a strap as he said he would on all new orders.
That would have eliminated the need for you to use this rather bulky BlackRapid connector that prevents the camera to sit flat on its base.

Thanks again for the prompt response.
Enjoy your new Grip plate.

#36 paul szilard

paul szilard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • Local time: 04:39 PM
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:29 PM

+1 to jmilich for a quality and useful accessory. Looks impressive. Well done!

-paul
My Photos | Contact
X100S since 29 April 2013 |  X-PRO1 since 20 July 2012 |  X-T1 since 27 Feb 2014
35mm, 10-24mm, 56mm, 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses |  Also shoot D4

#37 CarlosE

CarlosE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:46 PM

For shiggles,

I visualized (with the help of my old pal Photoshop) what the X-Pro1 + JLM Grip + Leica Finger Loop might look like. This is what I got:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Carlos Echenique Photography
Lights, Cameras, and Mad Science!
Stagecraft, Fine Art & Portrait Photography
Follow me on my blog, Twitter, Google+ and Facebook!

Visit my Flickr
X-T1+VG-X-T1 -- XF 18-55mm -- XF 55-200mm -- SLR Magic 35mm f/1.4 Cine

#38 reuben

reuben

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Locationchicago

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:54 PM

Hi, what's the material of the grip component? Is it anodized Al with some kind of texture?

#39 robert

robert

Founder

• Administrators
  • 5,124 posts
  • LocationDriftwood, TX

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:56 PM

The grip is cut on a waterjet out of 2-1/4" thick aluminum bar; that leaves a sandblasted-like surface.  Then it is sandblasted with a coarse silicon carbide grit, then black anodized.

--Robert

[site disclosures]

#40 reuben

reuben

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Locationchicago

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:35 PM

Thanks. How does it compare with the RRS version?

#41 CarlosE

CarlosE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:47 PM

I have owned both the RRS grip (for Leica M) and the JLM grip for the OM-D. The RRS grip is more pronounced than the JLM grip. However, the RRS grip has a smooth anodized finish while the JLM grip (as noted above) has a bead blasted surface and is "grippier". John's workmanship and attention to detail is second to none. He listens to his customers more than RRS (in my opinion).

What I would love to see from John is a sculpted wooden grip option. The base plate would remain the same, but the grip part would be more like a stub onto which a sculpted wooden grip is attached via countersunk hex bolts.

Something like this without the cheeseboards or the rail mounts:

ReWo-NEX-7-Cage.jpg?resize=600%2C450

I wouldn't necessarily have to wrap around. This is just an example.

Edited by Carlos Echenique, 09 April 2013 - 07:50 PM.

Carlos Echenique Photography
Lights, Cameras, and Mad Science!
Stagecraft, Fine Art & Portrait Photography
Follow me on my blog, Twitter, Google+ and Facebook!

Visit my Flickr
X-T1+VG-X-T1 -- XF 18-55mm -- XF 55-200mm -- SLR Magic 35mm f/1.4 Cine

#42 reuben

reuben

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Locationchicago

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:22 PM

Like the Pentax 67 :)

#43 wcbert

wcbert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:48 AM

I purchase the JML Grip recently and took it out twice on all day shooting in New York City where I live. My problem with X-E1 that I always felt it was small for my hand, a little light. I have been shooting with varoius Canon DSLR with a battery grip over a decade and the DSLR with a battery grip always felt better in my hand.

When I recieved the JML Grip in the mail I found it was solidly build. It all metal that is polished except the grip which was rough metal to have a better grip for the hand. Very easy to screw on the my X-E1. For me now when I am shooting the camera feels better in my hands, in portriat and landscape mode. That is the main reason for buying the grip, to it improve the handing X-E1 and it certainly does.

Also another plus buying the grip from JML, it is a local company and feels good supporting local business.

Bill

#44 Djc737

Djc737

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSJ outside of Philly

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:36 PM

John,
I have your grip and L plate for my two Sigma DPxMs and plan to get your setup for my new Fuji X-E1. I like the design, of course, but I do not follow what you are says in regards to the wrist strap connection. Could you image a shot with a wrist start attached to make it a little clearer how it attaches and what advantage it would have over using one of the eyelets already present. Thanks, Dave
X-E1, 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 60 macro and 23mm

#45 X-Factor

X-Factor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Local time: 11:39 PM
  • LocationWestern U.S.A.

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:07 PM

John,

Ordered my L-grip this weekend via PayPal.

#46 wyldberi

wyldberi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Locationu.s.a.

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:40 PM

I'm undecided what I'll do about a handgrip; no plans to order one at this time. I do have 2 basic questions:

With the larger diameter of the 55-200mm tele zoom, I understand the underside of that lens barrel extends down past the bottom of the X-E1 camera body once it is mounted. Would the arca grooves on the front of the base plate interfere with mounting the lens? Or will the lens clear the arca grooves that appear to extend forward of the rest of the base? (I know, that's 2 questions; but I'm only counting it as one. :)  

This question is just out of curiosity:

What's the need for having the L-plate attaching to the top of the bottom plate? It seems like attaching it to the end of the bottom plate would increase the entire unit's versatility. Such a design would permit the user to detach the L-plate and use the unit as a plain grip; no extra metal extending past the camera body on the non-grip end. Then, when you planned to use a tripod, you could attach the L-plate and be ready to go in that direction.

-- Robert M. --

X-E1 / X-E2  |14|23|27|60|90|18-55|55-200|120-400|

#47 X-Factor

X-Factor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • LocationWestern U.S.A.

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:04 AM

Has anyone heard from John this last week? I have tried to contact him several times regarding my order but have not heard back from him.

#48 simtsoud

simtsoud

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Local time: 02:39 PM

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:31 AM

Hi X-Factor

Did you finally get some news of your order ?

I would like to place an order myself...

Thanks !

#49 X-Factor

X-Factor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • LocationWestern U.S.A.

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:52 AM

Yes John sent my order out within a few days of receiving my order it should be waiting for me when I get home this week.

#50 xjuanx

xjuanx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:08 AM

Its Leica M "finger loop"

Ha!!!! $160 for a rubber loop, with a Leica logo! Insane!

• VisualFX likes this

#51 xjuanx

xjuanx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:58 PM

Hi JMilch. I was curious if you would consider making a one off custom piece or maybe two. I am a hug fan of shooting without a strap, but haven't found a solution that works for me. I have thought about this for awhile now and would like to ask if you could make.

Basically I would like a base plate like you have been making, minus the grip. But designed with eyelets at the bottom similar to the eyelets on the XPro. The idea I had in mind was basically secure a strap on the baseplate, essentially carrying it around my neck upside down, and shoot that way (I don't mind flipping the camera once it rests on my chest). I would love the ability to remove the plate somewhat quickly and shoot handheld. While the strap, holding the baseplate, sits around my neck. Baseplate would need attach to the camera in the same fashion you have now, but must stay in a locked position to the body. In other words not twist around. I would be interested in one for my XPro and an X-E1. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by xjuanx, 10 July 2013 - 05:02 PM.

#52 jmilich

jmilich

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 02:53 PM

xjuan:

that could be done, but it would be a special.  i could modify the L-plate end to take a pin (like the wrist strap feature) and extend the other end (so the battery door is not obstructed)  enough to also take a pin.  the result is a base about 3/8" longer on both ends than the actual camera base.  the present wrist pin is located more centrally, and the asymmetry would not let the camera hang straight if this was used for one end of the strap.

e-mail me

jm@milich.com

#53 Frankie

Frankie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts
  • LocationThe Left Coast

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:25 PM

@jmilich

My preference is a simple 5 or 6mm thick base plate for the X-E1...with access to battery door; off-set [to optical axis] 1/4"-20 tripod screw; no Arca-Swiss plate, no cut-out, no threaded end hole...just a simple base plate with a shallow edge lip in the back for non-twisting counter-sink screw mounting.

I can imagine you needing to do only a straight water-jet cut out, mill in the edge-lip, drilled/counter-sink mounting hole and tapped through tripod screw hole, bead-blasted and black anodized...please quote. I can Paypal payments pronto...[10 year eBayer with 100% positive feedback].

#54 VisualFX

VisualFX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:24 PM

Anyone have the 55-200 zoom and can verify it clears the Arca mount? When using the BlackRapid strap mount at bottom, does it leave enough room to mount the camera on a tripod? Looks like the BR screw doesn't clear the Arca mount.

#55 VisualFX

VisualFX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:24 PM

So how do we order? Is this available on ebay or an online store?

#56 robert

robert

Founder

• Administrators
  • 5,124 posts
  • LocationDriftwood, TX

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:27 PM

John has indicated a few months ago that he'd be launching a website, but I guess it hasn't happened yet. Email is at the bottom of the first

--Robert

[site disclosures]

#57 VisualFX

VisualFX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:59 AM

Does the updated X-E1 version allow you to attach a strap on the bottom plate? I'd like to keep a sling-strap/hand-grip attached while using the Arca tripod mount. So I dont have to take the strap off, everytime I mount on a tripod. Something like the

The updated JLM has a pin on the bottom to attached a strap? If someone can verify, I'll go ahead and order the JLM.

Edited by VisualFX, 19 September 2013 - 05:59 AM.

#58 jmilich

jmilich

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:05 PM

all my fuji grips have the pin in the base for a wrist strap; you can keep the strap in place while mounting to an arca clamp, as thee is a relief as well

#59 VisualFX

VisualFX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:25 PM

Thanks, just placed my order for the combo grip/plate.

#60 VisualFX

VisualFX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:19 AM

Ask and ye shall receive. Ignore my strap mount - it's in the tripod threads.

Dogonit,

Does the BlackRapid screw mount interfere with the tripod mount? It appears to me that it overlaps a little with the Arca-swiss cut out. I'm looking for a sling strap that attaches to the pin with the relief, but all sling straps I find use the tripod screw.

Edited by VisualFX, 20 September 2013 - 10:20 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: X-E1, X-Pro1

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users