• Create Account

Welcome to Fuji X Forum!

Welcome to the Fuji X Forum, the largest online community of Fujifilm X camera users!

Creating a forum account is FREE!

The primary benefit to registering is so you can post in the community, and be notified when discussions are updated.

Other benefits include uploading photos, creating a photo gallery, getting answers to technical questions and assistance with trouble-shooting, communicate with other members via private messages, elgibility for contests, and more!

Registering is a simple process that requires minimal information. Become a part of the forum by signing in or creating an account. For your convenience you can sign in using Facebook, Twitter or Google.

We take pride in being the friendliest photo forum on the net.

Come on in join the fun!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

X20 half-case suggestions?

X20

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 JDDOLAN

JDDOLAN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Local time: 10:14 AM
  • LocationKalamazoo, MI

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:04 PM

I'm looking for a half-case for the X20 (which will hopefully be arriving here soon). What I'm looking for is a case that:

* allows access to the battery and card (and ports) without removing the case
* has a tripod mount on the bottom
* doesn't have an ugly logo anywhere except the bottom (as does Gariz, Ciesta, etc.)

I suppose I should add that I can't afford a Luigi.

Thanks!
J.D.
Fuji X-20

#2 Ashleymeadow

Ashleymeadow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Local time: 08:14 AM
  • LocationLangley, WA, USA

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:37 PM

LOOK AT GARIZ (GARIZ.OM). I HAVE ONE FOR MY X100S AND IT IS FINE QUALITY AND FUNCTIONAL.

Edited by Ashleymeadow, 25 March 2013 - 02:37 PM.

#3 JDDOLAN

JDDOLAN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo, MI

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:59 PM

LOOK AT GARIZ (GARIZ.OM). I HAVE ONE FOR MY X100S AND IT IS FINE QUALITY AND FUNCTIONAL.

Thanks. I went ahead and ordered the Gariz, even though I don't like the silly embossed thing on the leather.
Fuji X-20

#4 Ashleymeadow

Ashleymeadow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:38 AM

I HAVE THE BLACK LABEL MODEL AND THE LOGO IS NOT VISIBLE.

#5 maninthestreet

maninthestreet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:43 PM

Carling Black Label?

#6 Ashleymeadow

Ashleymeadow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:58 PM

No, unfortunately. I have the Gariz "Black Label". It has been years since I have had a Carling.

The Gariz is quite nice. It is a fine leather with a metal bottom. It does not have to be removed for tripod use, and is secured on there with a screw-in device that is used for the "Gun Shot" sling. I have not yet received my sling from Korea, so I am not sure how that works. I have some concern the the camera hangs down from its tripod ring device - lens side down. Should I forget that I have it on and sit down on boulder, I could damage my lens hood or worse the lens itself. I like the idea of carrying with the strap across my chest. I hate climbing over fallen trees and rocks with a camera hanging from my neck. I envisioned clipping a micro clip to the attaching thingy then to a belt loop as I hike. I think idea is good. I'll let the forum know how it works after I try it.

#7 maninthestreet

maninthestreet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:50 AM

How does the Gariz 'Black Label' differ from the other Garix half-cases/covers?

#8 Ashleymeadow

Ashleymeadow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:34 PM

The standard edition is a smooth fine leather. The Black Label, which costs about $20 more, is a highly textured leather only available in black. The texture is very similar to the surface of most camera coverings,

#9 maninthestreet

maninthestreet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:25 AM

Ashley - can you post a link to the Black Label edition?

#10 Ashleymeadow

Ashleymeadow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:54 AM

Sure:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#11 devskies

devskies

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Local time: 11:14 PM
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:40 PM

I'm currently waiting for my case from kaza,

will post a pic when it arrives.

#12 maninthestreet

maninthestreet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:12 AM

Ashley:

The link you posted is for a cheap ($20) imitation leather (i.e plastic) full cover, not made by Gariz. 

#13 Ashleymeadow

Ashleymeadow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:55 AM

Well, it was for the Gariz when I posted it.

#14 Ashleymeadow

Ashleymeadow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:57 AM

No, you're right. That was for someone who waned to look at the case that I was giving away.

#15 Malton

Malton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Local time: 04:14 PM

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:37 AM

I prolly go for the CIESTA, black/red or dark brown. Seems quite nice.

#16 Ashleymeadow

Ashleymeadow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:52 AM

I would like to hear from someone who has the Kaza. The photos look great and their prices are low. I was at my local camera store and saw the x20 when I was picking up my X100S. I went back last week and bought the x20! Rather than a half case, I think that I would like the Kaza.

How long does it take to get one?

Jerry

#17 devskies

devskies

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:16 AM

I would like to hear from someone who has the Kaza. The photos look great and their prices are low. I was at my local camera store and saw the x20 when I was picking up my X100S. I went back last week and bought the x20! Rather than a half case, I think that I would like the Kaza.

How long does it take to get one?

Jerry

Ordered around 24 March, still have not gotten mine.

I emailed them towards the end of March and their response was:

"Your order will be delayed, it is because the leather quality is not good enough, so we have to wait for another shipment for your order production.

Please accept my apologize for such thing happen, we will try to make a good quailty product for you and send to you asap."

Just emailed them asking for updates. So i guess i wait somemore.

#18 devskies

devskies

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:26 AM

got a mail yesterday stating the case is on it's way. WIll put up pics when it arrives.

#19 Ashleymeadow

Ashleymeadow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:43 PM

I am sending my Gariz "Black Label" back. I did not like the way the leather stood out from the camera on both sides of the front. The leather is very thin and pliable. I thought for $119 I should get more. I like the looks of the Kaza now, but may not have anything. Half cases really don't give much protection, and the Gariz adds about a half inch to the bottom that I did not like. I could get the battery out okay, but the SD card was very hard. I had to use my finger nails.

#20 Jimbo70

Jimbo70

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Local time: 11:14 AM

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:07 AM

I found one on Amazon

. I bought this

for my X20 and like it. It allows me to use the full cover when traveling and the half case when shooting. It only takes a second to undo it to change batteries. It also allows you to use it with the vented hood attached if you slide the cover over the hood first and then snap it closed. It is a lot less expensive than the other one. It does have X10 impregnated on the top but it is not really noticeable.

#21 cgw

cgw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:35 AM

Have a look at these, too:

#22 devskies

devskies

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:04 PM

Just a heads up to those looking to get the Kaza half case, it's of poor quality.

I'm not able to screw the case to my x20 right as the hole isn't drilled at the correct location. It's a wee bit off from the actual tripod hole of the x20. I emailed Kaza and told me to try screwing it at an angle or I could return it.

I am able to put it on with the screw being at a weird angle but then I am unable to open the battery cover.

I've ended up using the free half case provided by fuji.

#23 Cross Creek

Cross Creek

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationFayetteville, NC, USA

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:48 PM

I got the Luigi--the special run of aged leather cases he's selling on ebay.  It fits well and looks fantastic.  For $200, you get the case (with non-removable LCD cover, no battery/card access, and no tripod screw.  You do get a first class piece of work, quick delivery (he has some already made), a very comfortable, matching camera strap, and free shipping--took mine less than a week from order to delivery to NC, ymmv.  It was a very snug fit at first, but a few battery and card changes later, it slides on and off quickly enough.  Compared to his prices and wait times for custom cases and features, it's a bargain, although not a "budget" choice, by any means.  I should add that this case saved me from having to buy another strap, and I won't be getting a thumb rest of any kind, since the case provides a secure "ledge" for my thumb when holding it vertically.  All considered, a cheaper case might have cost me more in the long run, if those two items are factored in.

Edited by Cross Creek, 21 May 2013 - 03:53 PM.

#24 Jazz1

Jazz1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationMidwest USA

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:00 PM

I've been using the Gariz half-case on my X20 for a couple of weeks. Tonight I tried to screw in a Manfrotto base plate for a quick release tripod. It will not seat/screw in beyond a thread and one half. Same with the Gordy wrist strap with tripod hole connector, and a R FastenR-3. Is anyone else having this problem? The devices work fine with the Fuji X20's tripod hole, but they do not work with the half-case's tripod hole. I can see no burr in the half-case tripod hole. I really don't want to force it and damage the half-case. I've got an e-mail into the retailer via Amazon.com.

Edited by Jazz1, 23 May 2013 - 08:01 PM.

#25 maninthestreet

maninthestreet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:09 AM

Jazz1,

Check out the thread below, and watch the video about the Gariz case, where this problem is shown:

#26 Cross Creek

Cross Creek

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationFayetteville, NC, USA

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:22 AM

Taken with my iPad, the Luigi case in the wild:

Edited by Cross Creek, 25 May 2013 - 10:34 AM.

#27 JDDOLAN

JDDOLAN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo, MI

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:17 AM

I'm going to be selling the Gariz case. With the case on, It's almost impossible to remove the battery--and I don't have large fingers. Also, there's no access to the ports on the side (though that's not as important to me). Still looking for the right case.

Edited by JDDOLAN, 25 May 2013 - 11:17 AM.

Fuji X-20

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: X20

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users