• Create Account

Welcome to Fuji X Forum!

Welcome to the Fuji X Forum, the largest online community of Fujifilm X camera users!

Creating a forum account is FREE!

The primary benefit to registering is so you can post in the community, and be notified when discussions are updated.

Other benefits include uploading photos, creating a photo gallery, getting answers to technical questions and assistance with trouble-shooting, communicate with other members via private messages, elgibility for contests, and more!

Registering is a simple process that requires minimal information. Become a part of the forum by signing in or creating an account. For your convenience you can sign in using Facebook, Twitter or Google.

We take pride in being the friendliest photo forum on the net.

Come on in join the fun!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Q Button, DISP BACK, MENU , AFL and wheel do not work anymore

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Dave King

Dave King

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Local time: 03:55 PM
  • LocationRockville, MD

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:25 PM

My camera has been working fine up to this point. I have had it for about three weeks now. I take very good care of it and is not been dropped or exposed to moisture at all.

All of a sudden none of the buttons or functions on the right work! I can access the drive button and all others on the left as well as the Fn button on top. The rest of the camera works fine.

Defective?

Nikon D3 + Pro Lenses *** Fuji X-E1 & X-T1 {14, 23, 27, 35, 56, 10-24, 18-55}

#2 Richard_R

Richard_R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts
  • Local time: 05:55 AM
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:32 PM

Read page 4 of the user manual. You have locked the buttons to prevent accidental use.
There is nothing wrong with the camera.

#3 LCB

LCB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Local time: 11:55 AM
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:38 PM

Read page 4 of the user manual. You have locked the buttons to prevent accidental use.
There is nothing wrong with the camera.

I imagine there will be more folks that find themselves in this pickle. I'm sure it will be a relief to know it is a setting they can fix. :-)

#4 TheVic

TheVic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:54 AM

Not necessarily, Richard R and LCB.  I was overjoyed to receive my X100S, (serial number in the mid 900s),  early, early.  By 3/22 it was already in my sweaty hands.  I shipped it back on April 3rd because it would randomly stop responding.  This was happening when it was *NOT* in macro mode and *NOT* control locked.  I would be taking pictures just fine, using the dials, adjusting, "chimping", (yes, I admit it), until suddenly the camera just stopped responding, right in the middle of my pressing a button.  One second it would be responsive, and the next instant it was dead, dead, dead.  I could not access the "Q" button, the functions from the command dial, display/back, or the function button.  I looked to see if the "locked" icon was lit, but none was displayed.  I checked to make sure I hadn't slipped into Macro mode - I had not.  I held down the "OK" button for 3+ seconds, but not a thing happened.   I even took out the battery, made sure it had a full charge, and then replaced it, but that did nothing to unfreeze the camera.  

This happened to me twice, once on Easter Sunday, and again on the following Tuesday.  On Wednesday morning I called the Fuji techs who were as pleasant as could be and told me to do all the things I have already mentioned here.  While on the phone with them they told me to:

--hold the OK button until the "lock" icon disappeared, (I did this, but I told them that since no icon was being displayed, that probably wasn't the problem);

--make sure Macro mode isn't on, (it wasn't);

--take the battery out and re-install it, (I did, but without results).  

Finally, the tech put me on hold for several minutes while he consulted with his co-workers.  When he came back he apologized and admitted it was  mystery to him what was wrong with the unit, but that it sounded like a faulty circuit board or loose wiring, and would need to be returned to the place of purchase, so back it went, to my great disappointment.

I wait eagerly, impatiently to hear from my supplier when it is he will be shipping me a replacement unit.  None of this has dissuaded me from the camera, other than my -off topic- disappointment that the command dial spins with the relative freedom of a Matchbox car wheel. 

Edited by TheVic, 13 April 2013 - 06:51 AM.

• cslen42 likes this

#5 Dave King

Dave King

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:29 AM

Unfortunately, page 4 did not help bring the buttons back.

I even thought of a full reset, but I can access the menu either.  Literally, NONE of the buttons on the right side of the camera are functioning at all.  To be clear, the wheel does not work either.  I can still take pictures just fine.  Luckily I am "stuck" on a decent AUTO ISO3200 1/60 mode where I can still use the camera.  

This afternoon I am being tasked to shoot and produce a 30 second video clip at the Washington National's Ballpark.  I am in DC at the moment (Not at home) and I have my X100S with two batteries and a Canon s100 with only a single battery.  I should be able to get through the shooting even under these restrictions.  

I am not in Macro Mode, No lock icon appears when I hold down the menu button.  

Yep, same here...Upper-mid 900 serial number.

#6 Dave King

Dave King

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:31 AM

Ahh, I am screwed.  I cant access the video mode.  I am stuck in single shot mode and when I hit the DRIVE button, nothing allows me to scroll down to video mode.  

Canon s100, please save me, please save me.

#7 Richard_R

Richard_R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts
  • Local time: 05:55 AM
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:58 PM

Sorry to hear that. I guess it's a call to Fuji on Monday.

Edited by Richard_R, 13 April 2013 - 03:59 PM.

• Dave King likes this

#8 dangfoo

dangfoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Local time: 02:55 PM
  • LocationWinnipeg

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:46 PM

That's a bummer. Luckily the S100 has some decent video features like exposure lock, zoom and stabilization. I'd actually prefer to use it for video over the X100S. We're talking about the PowerShot S100 and not the Vixia HF S100 right?

#9 Larry N. Bolch

Larry N. Bolch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • Local time: 01:55 PM
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta Canada

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:49 PM

With tens or hundreds of thousands of units manufactured, the occasional lemon gets through. I bought the Nikon 14-24mm—one of the flagship gold-ring holy trinity of Nikkor lenses—popped it on the D700 the moment I got home and it simply would not focus.It is a $2,000+ lens. One would hope each lens at this level would be individually inspected, but if that was so, we would not need warranties. It happens. Luckily, I bought it from the neighborhood drug-store, so walked back and swapped it for another. Tested it in the store and it has been working fine ever since.

#10 Dave King

Dave King

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:08 AM

Yep, I will be calling Fuji when I get a chance this morning.

Actually, I was happy with the Canon Powershot S100's video capability.  I originally planned to use that mainly for the zoom and wider angle shots.  It's only a 30 second clip, so it should be sufficient.

#11 Dave King

Dave King

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:56 PM

I think this is a no-brainer, but I now how the decision to send it in to Fuji for repair or return to B&H for a new camera but potentially be stuck behind everyone else on the waiting list.  My first thought is that I do not want to wait for a new camera and if this problem is fixed by Fuji, it will be documented and potentially be covered in the future for any other related problems that may occur.

Thoughts?

#12 P-Zilla

P-Zilla

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Local time: 07:55 PM
  • LocationUK

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:18 PM

Refund all the time. Place you take it back to will return it to fuji instead. They won't just bin it!
  • Peebee likes this

#13 Dave King

Dave King

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:26 AM

Refund all the time. Place you take it back to will return it to fuji instead. They won't just bin it!

I ended up returning it to Fuji for repairs.  I mailed it to them last Friday and it should be arriving to me today, so I would say the turn around was pretty fast.  I am hoping to have the camera in hand this weekend in original working condition.

#14 YannickDegroeve

YannickDegroeve

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 10:55 PM
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:20 AM

Hello,

i have the exact same problem as the topicstarter... i have the camera for 4 days. suddenly those exact same buttons are dead.

very very frustrating since this is my first "expensive" camera :-(

Edited by YannickDegroeve, 02 June 2013 - 08:21 AM.

#15 Dave King

Dave King

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:54 AM

Hello,

i have the exact same problem as the topicstarter... i have the camera for 4 days. suddenly those exact same buttons are dead.

very very frustrating since this is my first "expensive" camera :-(

Ahhh, very frustrating.  Not sure of it's availability right now, but consider sending it back to the place you bought it for an exchange.  although I had that option, it wasn't the best option for me since there was still a larger (unknown) wait list for this camera when it happened to me.  I sent it to Fuji and it was back in my hands 6 days later.  They will Fed-ex Overnight it back to you.

#16 Rik

Rik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 03:55 AM
  • LocationKuala Lumpur

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:18 AM

I've got the same problem too. 6 week old unit; tried all the fixes above to no avail. Fingers crossed Fuji can get it fixed within 4 weeks as I'm off to the Himalayas...

Edited by Rik, 17 June 2013 - 06:21 AM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users