• Create Account

Welcome to Fuji X Forum!

Welcome to the Fuji X Forum, the largest online community of Fujifilm X camera users!

Creating a forum account is FREE!

The primary benefit to registering is so you can post in the community, and be notified when discussions are updated.

Other benefits include uploading photos, creating a photo gallery, getting answers to technical questions and assistance with trouble-shooting, communicate with other members via private messages, elgibility for contests, and more!

Registering is a simple process that requires minimal information. Become a part of the forum by signing in or creating an account. For your convenience you can sign in using Facebook, Twitter or Google.

We take pride in being the friendliest photo forum on the net.

Come on in join the fun!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Fuji X Pro 1 + 18-55 , great combination

X-Pro1 18-55mm

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 peterleyenaar

peterleyenaar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Local time: 12:18 PM
  • LocationKimberley B.C. Canada

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:00 AM

Returned recently from an extended trip to Europe, I had with me the X pro1, 18-55 , 35 mm 60mm , the last 2 stayed in the bag, only used the 18-55

with great results, in musea, outdoor, everywhere, also had with me the Leica X2 which also performed well, not as versatile, but IQ on par with the X Pro1.8728789514_8b03e63e4a_z.jpg

• Liam likes this

#2 PeterPrism

PeterPrism

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Local time: 09:18 PM
  • LocationItaly

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:13 AM

Super RED !

#3 Liam

Liam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Local time: 08:18 PM
  • LocationIreland.

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:25 PM

Woaaa!  Striking colour, and great resolution into the far distance.  To know your workflow would be interesting please?

X100S, X-Pro1, 18mm, 35mm, and 60mm.

#4 peterleyenaar

peterleyenaar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 02:44 PM

Hello Liam,

Thanks for the compliment,

My workflow in LR

All corrections are minor and subtle

1) Auto exposure, then correct manually

2) Bring back highlight sllder for more detail

3) Fill out histogram so you have data from 0 to 100 using black and white sliders and holding the option key on mac

4) use shadows slider for more detail

5) Adjust WB

6) Apply small amount of sharpening, between 20 and 40

7) Luminance noise correction if required around 10

8) Presence adjustments

Done

Occasionally I apply the gradiant filter and the color corrections : hue, saturation and luminance, careful and sparingly.

I looked at your images (very beautiful ) , some have some detail missing, in particular the image of the Inislaucht chuch, the trees could use more detail, using the shadow slider and the skye

would benefit from cutting back the highlights and the gradiant filter, only very minor adjustments required and at this level it might only be a matter of personal taste.

Best Regards

Peter

#5 Liam

Liam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • LocationIreland.

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:36 PM

Thank you Peter. Your care and attention to each aspect shows. Very beautiful.

#6 sc_john

sc_john

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 03:18 PM
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:32 AM

When using the 18-55 (on X-Pro1), are you effectively limited to using EVF... or does the OVF frame somehow adjust to the zoomed focal length? Thanks.

John

Edited by sc_john, 13 May 2013 - 06:33 AM.

#7 Rob MacKillop

Rob MacKillop

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:57 AM

Stunning reds! 

#8 Arjay

Arjay

Admin

• Administrators
  • 7,963 posts
  • Local time: 09:18 PM
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:00 AM

When using the 18-55 (on X-Pro1), are you effectively limited to using EVF... or does the OVF frame somehow adjust to the zoomed focal length? Thanks.

John

No, you're not limited to the EVF. You can just as well use the OVF - the OVF's bright frame will adjust with zoomed focal length. You need to manually switch OVF magnification however.

#9 sc_john

sc_john

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 03:18 PM
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:05 AM

No, you're not limited to the EVF. You can just as well use the OVF - the OVF's bright frame will adjust with zoomed focal length. You need to manually switch OVF magnification however.

Thanks! There is definitely an X-Pro1 in my future.

John

#10 refiningman

refiningman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  • Local time: 02:18 PM
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:50 AM

Hello Liam,

Thanks for the compliment,

My workflow in LR

All corrections are minor and subtle

1) Auto exposure, then correct manually

2) Bring back highlight sllder for more detail

3) Fill out histogram so you have data from 0 to 100 using black and white sliders and holding the option key on mac

4) use shadows slider for more detail

5) Adjust WB

6) Apply small amount of sharpening, between 20 and 40

7) Luminance noise correction if required around 10

8) Presence adjustments

Done

Occasionally I apply the gradiant filter and the color corrections : hue, saturation and luminance, careful and sparingly.

I looked at your images (very beautiful ) , some have some detail missing, in particular the image of the Inislaucht chuch, the trees could use more detail, using the shadow slider and the skye

would benefit from cutting back the highlights and the gradiant filter, only very minor adjustments required and at this level it might only be a matter of personal taste.

Best Regards

Peter

If I could offer a couple of suggestions:

1. Do WB correction as step #1

2. Do Noise Reduction before Sharpening.

X-T1 | X-Pro1 | 14 | 23 | 35 | 60 Macro | 55~200 | 90 Macro | 135

#11 peterleyenaar

peterleyenaar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:47 PM

If I could offer a couple of suggestions:

1. Do WB correction as step #1

2. Do Noise Reduction before Sharpening.

Liam asked me for MY workflow, that is it, please feel free to give him your workflow.

If you make alternate suggestions, you should mention why.

I don't think your suggestions are valid , here is why :

Address exposure, detail and histogram data range BEFORE WB, can't evaluate colour on improper exposed images or images lacking detail or images that do not have the full histogram data range

Apply noise reduction AFTER sharpening, sharpening can induce noise that needs to be corrected.

I am just replaying to your post, this is not the place to get in to a discussion  about LR image processing.

#12 peterleyenaar

peterleyenaar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:02 PM

Here is an Image of one of Rembrandt Van Rijn's paintings that I took in the Rijks Museum in Amsterdam, dimly lit, with the X-Pro1 1 and the 18-55 , this camera and lens perform flawlessly

under all circumstances.8736563058_15b5dc694e_z.jpg

Edited by peterleyenaar, 13 May 2013 - 02:03 PM.

#13 peterleyenaar

peterleyenaar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:16 PM

Here are some images of Vincent Van Gogh's paintings. taken in the Van Gogh Museum under difficult and low light circumstances with the Xpro1 and 18-55.8735486173_21eb2fa82d_z.jpg

8735481795_7a6efed723_z.jpg8735485521_c6b9c1fce7_z.jpg

#14 Liam

Liam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • LocationIreland.

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:09 AM

Competently done Peter, and the more I see of that lens the more I appreciate it. 

#15 refiningman

refiningman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  • Local time: 02:18 PM
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:36 AM

Liam asked me for MY workflow, that is it, please feel free to give him your workflow.

If you make alternate suggestions, you should mention why.

I don't think your suggestions are valid , here is why :

Address exposure, detail and histogram data range BEFORE WB, can't evaluate colour on improper exposed images or images lacking detail or images that do not have the full histogram data range

Apply noise reduction AFTER sharpening, sharpening can induce noise that needs to be corrected.

I am just replaying to your post, this is not the place to get in to a discussion  about LR image processing.

OK no problem, you do it your way.

X-T1 | X-Pro1 | 14 | 23 | 35 | 60 Macro | 55~200 | 90 Macro | 135

#16 peterleyenaar

peterleyenaar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:38 AM

OK no problem, you do it your way.

If you wish to discuss the rational of your LR workflow, please go to the Fuji X post processing forum and open a new thread, I'll be happy to share the rational 

of my LR workflow, please let me know.

#17 Jannie

Jannie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:29 PM

So, I've seen comments here about the 18-55 being soft at the telephoto end, and I've seen comments that it's a great lens overall, but in those negative cases the question was brought up as to whether the shutter speed was too low or the IS wasn't turned on. These things can really make a difference, none of which are the lenses fault. So my question still is: in general, is this considered an okay lens, a good lens, or a great lens? I'm still undecided as to what will be my next lens and slowly selling off my DSLR Canon gear to finance it as I already know that the X-Pro1 is going to be my go-to camera from here on. 

Edited by Jannie, 03 July 2013 - 03:29 PM.

#18 MuMinded

MuMinded

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Local time: 04:18 AM
  • LocationJapan

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:36 AM

Hi Jannie,

I have the XPro1, the 18-55 and the 55-200.     I also have the 35mm and the 60mm.     I always take on-line lens reviews very lightly..   without knowing the exact methodology used to test the lens all on-line samples are pretty much useless.   So, it will all come down to you either getting to a camera shop and testing the lens you are interested in, or place some trust in the brand that you are purchasing based on your experience.    Some of that trust can be based on  remarks picked up here an there.    To that end, let me add my remarks for you.

The 18-55 is a fantastic lens as far as the build quality goes.   The 55-200 is the same.   You would have no regrets with the quality as far as that goes.  For me, the 55-200 is the lens that has allowed me to completely retire my DSLR equipment.    The 18-55 lens is every bit as good as my equivalent Nikkor in that range and the 55-200 is likewise, just as good as my Nikkor 80-200, albeit with a slower max F-stop.    

So far I have been pleased with every XF lens I have purchased with maybe the 60mm being the exception.   The 60mm only disappoints because of the AF performance, not the image quality.   

From your posts It seems that you are really enjoying your X-Pro1-1..    I think that your enjoyment for this camera will only be enhanced by the XF lenses and if there are any low points they will be minor and your joy of being ride of the DSLR will help you easily overlook them.   :-)

It's been said before, but what good is premium glass if it's just too darned heavy to have out in the field with you..    These XF lenses will save your shoulders and encourage you to bring them with you, which is the whole point, isn't it?

#19 Arthur X100

Arthur X100

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Local time: 07:18 PM
  • LocationWorcestershire, UK

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:19 AM

The 60mm only disappoints because of the AF performance, not the image quality.   

Hey Mu,

Would you say that the lens redeems itself if you want it for portraits and not macro? What I'm getting at is, for portraits, I'm almost never looking for super-quick AF becuase I''m taking my time to engage with the subject.

Thx, Kevin.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: X-Pro1, 18-55mm

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users