• Create Account

Welcome to Fuji X Forum!

Welcome to the Fuji X Forum, the world's largest online community of Fujifilm X camera users!

Creating a forum account is FREE! or CLICK HERE TO LOG IN

Registration enables you to post in the community, and be notified to replies.

Other benefits: sharing photos, creating a photo gallery, get answers to technical questions, assistance with trouble-shooting, elgibility for contests, and more!

Registering is easy and simple. Become a part of the forum by creating an account. You can also log in using Facebook, Twitter or Google.

We take pride in being the friendliest photo forum on the net.

Come on in join the fun!

Note: after registering if you don't see the validation email, check your spam folder.
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

'Sticky Aperture Blade' issue

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
107 replies to this topic

#1 Azimuth

Azimuth
  • 199 posts
  • Local time: 10:30 PM
  • LocationMacleod, Victoria

Posted 22 August 2011 - 04:57 PM

Hi All,

I believe that my camera is malfunctioning, but wanted to verify my finding with the forum before I send it off to Fuji Australia.

Since buying the camera I have been plagued with random glaring over-exposures. Being a novice, I assumed that this was due to user error, but after reading about this issue in other places I've come to the conclusion that my X100 is flawed.

To test this, I took a series of shots. Auto-ISO, Auto-DR, ND-filter, and flash were all turned off. The pictures were shot in aperture priority mode, with manual focus and no exposure compensation. I started at F2.0, and the exposure was correct.

For each successive shot, I narrowed the aperture by turning the aperture ring one stop. As you can see from the photos, this resulted in increasingly overexposed shots with the worst exposure at the narrowest aperture(F16).

It seems to me that my camera aperture is 'sticking' at F2.0 without narrowing to the selected setting.

Is this a case of user error or a broken camera? Is there a better way to test this? From the little theory I know, each of these shots should be at exactly the same exposure.

Thanks for your help,
Ash

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#2 Arjay

Arjay

Admin

• Admin
  • 10,454 posts
  • Local time: 02:30 PM
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 22 August 2011 - 05:04 PM

I can only see your first picture - all others arend being displayed. Assuming the pictures are increasingly underexposed like you say, you r camera could very well have the sticky aperture blade sysndrome. This is not a user mistake, but a camera fault. Your camera needs to see Dr. Fuji.

#3 Azimuth

Azimuth
  • Topic Starter
  • 199 posts
  • Local time: 10:30 PM
  • LocationMacleod, Victoria

Posted 22 August 2011 - 05:08 PM

I can only see your first picture - all others arend being displayed. Assuming the pictures are increasingly underexposed like you say, you r camera could very well have the sticky aperture blade sysndrome. This is not a user mistake, but a camera fault. Your camera needs to see Dr. Fuji.

Thank Arjay, and I think the photos are fixed now.

The photos are increasingly over-exposed, not under. Is that what youmeant?

-Ash

#4 cathy

cathy
  • 29 posts
  • Local time: 08:30 AM
  • LocationNew Brunswick Canada

Posted 22 August 2011 - 05:27 PM

Mine went in this week for the same issue. Started out fine, but got increasingly worse. I am sure mine has stuck/sticking blades. Should have it back the end of this week, or the first of next.

cathy

#5 Arjay

Arjay

Admin

• Admin
  • 10,454 posts
  • Local time: 02:30 PM
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 23 August 2011 - 02:15 AM

The photos are increasingly over-exposed, not under. Is that what you meant?

Yes. SorrY, that's what I meant. That's what happens if you write faster than you think. ;)

#6 rmcnelly

rmcnelly
  • Premium Member
  • 390 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, VA USA

Posted 23 August 2011 - 06:58 AM

I keep missing the opportunity to purchase the X100 when it is in stock but am increasingly worried about the many "overexposing" posts I'm seeing on different X100 forums. The other well known issues with this camera I think I can live with, but I don't want to spend this amount only to live in fear the aperture problem will surface.

Maybe I'll wait a little longer and see how this pans out.

#7 montag451

montag451
  • 10 posts
  • Local time: 07:30 AM

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:26 AM

I had the same issue and sent it in to Fuiji. I am not sure what they replaced or did but its now working beautifully.

#8 cathy

cathy
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 09:32 AM

I am glad to hear this!!! Mine went in and I just waiting to see how it turns out :) Did it take very long to get it back?

I had the same issue and sent it in to Fuiji. I am not sure what they replaced or did but its now working beautifully.

#9 Jeff Charles

Jeff Charles
  • Premium Member
  • 439 posts
  • Local time: 06:30 AM
  • LocationOaxaca, Mexico

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:48 PM

I am glad to hear this!!! Mine went in and I just waiting to see how it turns out :) Did it take very long to get it back?

Mine went to Fuji in Edison, New Jersey for the same problem. They received it on a Tuesday morning, replaced the lens, and shipped it out on Wednesday afternoon. The camera has exposed correctly since I got it back.

I did keep on top of Fuji from start to end. I called their X100-repair extension several times before I shipped the camera. I called again when DHL tracking showed delivery and again when I received the email that they had shipped it back. Each time, I spoke to the same person, and I think that helped.

Jeff

#10 sarphoto

sarphoto
  • 26 posts
  • Local time: 12:30 PM

Posted 23 August 2011 - 02:40 PM

Sent mine off to Fuji UK yesterday with the same problem.

Hope to get it back soon - but I'm having fun with my TLR while the X100's away!

Simon

#11 VaVa

VaVa
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 01:30 PM

Posted 24 August 2011 - 11:39 AM

Hi there

I had exactly the same problem as you.

Also sent my camera off to Fuji UK on Monday, arrived Tuesday.

Was in email correspondance with their customer services throughout.

Received an email this morning to inform me that my camera had been repaired and would be with my tomorrow (Wednesday).

I must say their service was truly exceptional.

I hope you have the same experience.

Sent mine off to Fuji UK yesterday with the same problem.

Hope to get it back soon - but I'm having fun with my TLR while the X100's away!

Simon

#12 cathy

cathy
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 02:47 PM

Absolutely exceptional service! I got my camera back today, with a new lens assembly and related parts and so far it is working perfectly.

cathy

Hi there

I had exactly the same problem as you.

Also sent my camera off to Fuji UK on Monday, arrived Tuesday.

Was in email correspondance with their customer services throughout.

Received an email this morning to inform me that my camera had been repaired and would be with my tomorrow (Wednesday).

I must say their service was truly exceptional.

I hope you have the same experience.

#13 adanac

adanac
  • 217 posts
  • Local time: 04:30 AM
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 August 2011 - 11:52 PM

Just returned from a 4000+km driving trip through Quebec and New Brunswick (with a dash of Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire thrown in) and discovered while on the trip that my X100 suffers from the same issue. Sigh. I used the ND filter and got by, but it wasn't a great experience and missed greatly being able to count on depth of field flexibility.

Time for me to get out the documentation and make a RMA call to Fujifilm Canada... looking forward to the promised two business day turnaround...

#14 Riz

Riz
  • Premium Member
  • 499 posts
  • Local time: 12:30 PM
  • LocationRotherham, UK

Posted 27 August 2011 - 05:07 AM

How do I test my X100 for this problem?

Riz :rolleyes:

#15 alborz

alborz
  • 54 posts
  • Local time: 05:00 PM

Posted 27 August 2011 - 06:25 AM

[quote name='Azimuth' timestamp='1314053832' post='23720']
Hi All,

I believe that my camera is malfunctioning, but wanted to verify my finding with the forum before I send it off to Fuji Australia.

Since buying the camera I have been plagued with random glaring over-exposures. Being a novice, I assumed that this was due to user error, but after reading about this issue in other places I've come to the conclusion that my X100 is flawed.

To test this, I took a series of shots. Auto-ISO, Auto-DR, ND-filter, and flash were all turned off. The pictures were shot in aperture priority mode, with manual focus and no exposure compensation. I started at F2.0, and the exposure was correct.

For each successive shot, I narrowed the aperture by turning the aperture ring one stop. As you can see from the photos, this resulted in increasingly overexposed shots with the worst exposure at the narrowest aperture(F16).

It seems to me that my camera aperture is 'sticking' at F2.0 without narrowing to the selected setting.

Is this a case of user error or a broken camera? Is there a better way to test this? From the little theory I know, each of these shots should be at exactly the same exposure.

Thanks for your help,
Ash

Hi

I did not get what you mean by ND-filter? Is it On or OFF? And could I test mine with auto focus and not manual focus?

I started taking pictures from f16 down to f2 (A mode) without any attention to my shutter speed, then I noticed that two are over-exposed (f2.8& f2) I look at my pictures and saw that the speed has been in RED.Later by using ND filter my pictures were fine.

Please somebody talk more on finding the so called "Sticky" problem.

Thanks,