• Create Account

Welcome to Fuji X Forum!

Welcome to the Fuji X Forum, the largest online community of Fujifilm X camera users!

Creating a forum account is FREE!

The primary benefit to registering is so you can post in the community, and be notified when discussions are updated.

Other benefits include uploading photos, creating a photo gallery, getting answers to technical questions and assistance with trouble-shooting, communicate with other members via private messages, elgibility for contests, and more!

Registering is a simple process that requires minimal information. Become a part of the forum by signing in or creating an account. For your convenience you can sign in using Facebook, Twitter or Google.

We take pride in being the friendliest photo forum on the net.

Come on in join the fun!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Fuji to fix the Orbs problem

X10

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
30 replies to this topic

#1 jknights

jknights

• Moderators
  • 5,840 posts
  • Local time: 11:47 AM
  • LocationOliva, Valencia, Spain

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:34 PM

Just read this statement on DPReview news.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Apparently on March 12th Fuji will release information on their fix for the white orbs problem in the X10.
Always Nikon and Fuji cameras.

Still learning after all these years!
Website http://www.jmknights.com

#2 pcg

pcg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Local time: 05:47 AM
  • LocationCentral Massachusetts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:48 PM

Releasing information and "fixing" are not the same. The light blooms are a function of the sensor, not the software. It's likely that they won't have a permanent fix. I'll remain hopeful, but can't imagine how they'll solve an inherent design problem for those few X10s with the problem.

#3 jdbish

jdbish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • LocationKaty, Texas

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:05 PM

Releasing information and "fixing" are not the same. The light blooms are a function of the sensor, not the software. It's likely that they won't have a permanent fix. I'll remain hopeful, but can't imagine how they'll solve an inherent design problem for those few X10s with the problem.

Maybe they'll give me $600.00 off on the purchase of an X-PRO1. Maybe not.
When all else fails, read the directions.

#4 Allan Ostling

Allan Ostling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Local time: 03:47 AM
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:16 PM

I'll remain hopeful, but can't imagine how they'll solve an inherent design problem for those few X10s with the problem.

I don't follow your reasoning – if it is an inherent design problem would it not affect all the X10s?
Allan Ostling

#5 robert

robert

Founder

• Administrators
  • 5,823 posts
  • Local time: 04:47 AM
  • LocationDriftwood, TX

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:37 PM

Releasing information and "fixing" are not the same.

'Definitive solution' sounds like a fix to me.

--Robert

[site disclosures]

#6 flysurfer

flysurfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • LocationNUE

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:53 PM

The simple question is: How much will this solution cost the end user who already owns a orbing camera? Plus: How will this solution affect overall image quality, aka are there any side effects?

As for the solution itself: I heard about a possible fix almost a month ago, but since I'm not qualified to talk about and judge technical details, I'm certainly not able to discuss it w/o making a fool out of myself. Hoewever, if this particular solution is indeed the one that will materialize, it won't involve changing the entire sensor, but only a part that is associated with it. Since WDS doesn't really affect my real photography with thr X10, I'm in wait and see mode: How well does it work, what are potential side effects?

#7 Ivophoto

Ivophoto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Local time: 12:47 PM
  • LocationFlanders

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:55 AM

They will come with a statement that there is no problem, that it is only a internet magnification of a phenomena not only the X10 suffers.

Or maybe they will try to sell it as a feature.

The X11 will have a solution.

Remember the IR thing on the M8? I worked with the M8 for one day and brought it back. Leica stated it was only a minor effect on certain black fabrics. Tell that to somebody who need to make series of peoples in black tuxedo......

:rolleyes:

#8 flysurfer

flysurfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • LocationNUE

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:10 AM

They will come with a statement that there is no problem, that it is only a internet magnification of a phenomena not only the X10 suffers.

Or maybe they will try to sell it as a feature.

The X11 will have a solution.

Wrong.

Wrong.

And wrong.

#9 pcg

pcg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:09 PM

Wrong.

Wrong.

And wrong.

Time will tell, and we have less than a week to wait. Let's be optimistic. And let's not beat up the subject, as most of us are clueless about what will be announced. And those of us who may know are remaining silent.

#10 Ivophoto

Ivophoto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Local time: 12:47 PM
  • LocationFlanders

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:43 AM

Wrong.

Wrong.

And wrong.

Maybe

Maybe

Maybe,....... but it would be a pity if the X11 still show the orbs.

#11 flysurfer

flysurfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • LocationNUE

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:28 AM

Maybe

Nope.

Maybe

Nope.

Maybe,....... but it would be a pity if the X11 still show the orbs.

What X11?

#12 pcg

pcg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:19 AM

As with all discussions on all forums that mention "orbs," this one has become, predictably, inane. It's in Fuji's court. Let's leave it there.

#13 hunz

hunz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • Local time: 10:47 AM

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:36 AM

maybe they will take our X10's back and give us a refund. who's up for that?

#14 pcg

pcg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:11 PM

Countdown, for all of you with sensor bloom...

#15 pcg

pcg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:41 AM

March 12. And still counting...

#16 pcg

pcg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:34 PM

For those of you who haven't seen this, the Fuji announcement follows:

"March 12, 2012

The FUJIFILM X10 and X-S1 digital cameras were made available by Fujifilm late last year, and have been generally very well received by customers, who admire the excellent picture quality, manual zoom lens and viewfinder.

However, we did receive some inquiries concerning the so-called ‘white disc’ or ‘blooming’ occurrence, where exceptional highlights in the picture can appear as strongly delineated rounded shapes. This ‘blooming’ effect can occur with all digital cameras which use CMOS sensors, to varying degrees. It can also occur with the X10 and X-S1 when shooting in certain conditions, e.g. cars with front lights shining in dark night scene. The X10 and X-S1 are fitted with a very advanced sensor, which gives excellent picture quality and low noise, but which does give a different ‘blooming’ effect from other cameras.

Fujifilm has a long-standing history of delivering top quality products to the market. In response to our customers’ comments, we have worked hard to find an improvement to reduce the ‘blooming’ effect of the X10 and X-S1. Below are the actions we have undertaken.

In February, we announced a firmware upgrade for the X10 (version 1.03) which does reduce the white disc occurrence specifically in EXR mode. It works by identifying scenes that are likely to get ‘white disc’ blooming. When the camera recognizes such a scene, it automatically increases the ISO and optimizes DR (dynamic range). As the ISO increases, the white discs are less evident. * New firmware for the X-S1 will be available from March 21, 2012.

We will also develop a modified sensor, which will more universally resolve the ‘white disc’ blooming effect in all modes. We are working hard to make this new sensor available from late May 2012.

We encourage any customer with an X10 and X-S1 who has experienced the ‘white disc’ phenomenon to call their local authorized Fujifilm service centre.
Fujifilm is committed to delivering the highest quality products to the photographic community, and is happy to provide this improvement."

#17 Allan Ostling

Allan Ostling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Local time: 03:47 AM
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:44 PM

For those of you who haven't seen this, the Fuji announcement follows:

We encourage any customer with an X10 and X-S1 who has experienced the ‘white disc’ phenomenon to call their local authorized Fujifilm service centre.

The wording makes no sense. There are no "local service centers" in North America. There may be regional ones, or a national service center. In Phoenix (population four million) there is only one full-service camera shop. There are none in Los Angeles, population ten million.

Whoever writes Fuji's announcements is living in a parallel universe.
Allan Ostling

#18 zen

zen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Locationnew jersey

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:34 PM

That was a global announcement, not just for North America, in many other parts of our big blue world there are plenty of regional service centers, however you are correct North America only has a few.

The wording makes no sense. There are no "local service centers" in North America. There may be regional ones, or a national service center. In Phoenix (population four million) there is only one full-service camera shop. There are none in Los Angeles, population ten million.

#19 Ratty Mouse

Ratty Mouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Local time: 06:47 PM

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:29 AM

Even more strange is that Fujifilm does not outright state that all current X10/X-S1 owners are eligible to have their sensor replaced. You are told only to call Fuji if you experience bloom. Why not tell people in the press release that when the sensor is available, that ALL owners can have their sensor replaced?
Fujifilm cameras currently owned: F10, F20, F70EXR, X10, XF1, X100, S5 Pro (with Nikkor 24mm f/1.4), GA645, and Instax 7S.

#20 flysurfer

flysurfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • LocationNUE

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:39 AM

Even more strange is that Fujifilm does not outright state that all current X10/X-S1 owners are eligible to have their sensor replaced. You are told only to call Fuji if you experience bloom. Why not tell people in the press release that when the sensor is available, that ALL owners can have their sensor replaced?

Why should Fuji replace sensors of cameras that already have the new sensor built-in? That would be pretty stupid, wouldn't it?
  • zen likes this

#21 zen

zen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Locationnew jersey

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:19 AM

Why should Fuji replace sensors of cameras that already have the new sensor built-in? That would be pretty stupid, wouldn't it?

flysurfer, when you consider who asked that question, and that he has a well known agenda as an extremely disgruntled X10 owner, does the stupidity of the question really surprise you?

#22 Ratty Mouse

Ratty Mouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:20 PM

The press release discussed CURRENT owners of the X10 and X-S1 who are experiencing bloom. Why not inform them right there that they will receive satisfaction due to Fuji's commitment to replace their sensor? Why have everyone learn about this on the phone? Why leave it as an open question?
Fujifilm cameras currently owned: F10, F20, F70EXR, X10, XF1, X100, S5 Pro (with Nikkor 24mm f/1.4), GA645, and Instax 7S.

#23 Richard_R

Richard_R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts
  • Local time: 09:47 PM
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:08 PM

Even more strange is that Fujifilm does not outright state that all current X10/X-S1 owners are eligible to have their sensor replaced.

When I actually took the time to ring Fuji rather than rant on forums that said they would be replacing sensors for anybody who wanted a sensor replaced no questions. I left my details and expect to hear from them when the sensors are available.

#24 flysurfer

flysurfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • LocationNUE

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:17 PM

The press release discussed CURRENT owners of the X10 and X-S1 who are experiencing bloom. Why not inform them right there that they will receive satisfaction due to Fuji's commitment to replace their sensor? Why have everyone learn about this on the phone? Why leave it as an open question?

I fear that you are either living in a parallel universe or that you are imagining things that don't exist, because Fuji is exactly doing what you demand: replacing the defective sensor for every user who calls them to make such an appointment. Luckily, at least some of those folks buying the camera in April will already get X10s with the new sensor. In case they call for a replacement sensor, as well, I'm pretty sure that Fuji will see from the serial number that a replacement isn't warranted.

Personally, I have currently no intention to replace the sensors in my X10 and X-S1. I'd rather wait and see what the new sensor is actually capable of. You never know, old and orbing X10s could eventually become sought after items. :lol:

#25 zen

zen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Locationnew jersey

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:26 PM

I fear that you are either living in a parallel universe or that you are imagining things that don't exist, because Fuji is exactly doing what you demand: replacing the defective sensor for every user who calls them to make such an appointment. Luckily, at least some of those folks buying the camera in April will already get X10s with the new sensor. In case they call for a replacement sensor, as well, I'm pretty sure that Fuji will see from the serial number that a replacement isn't warranted.

Personally, I have currently no intention to replace the sensors in my X10 and X-S1. I'd rather wait and see what the new sensor is actually capable of. You never know, old and orbing X10s could eventually become sought after items. :lol:

ratty is a glutton for punishment it appears.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#26 Ratty Mouse

Ratty Mouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:06 PM

Did you read anything that I wrote? If yes, then clearly you did not understand it. Did I say anything about Fujifilm's upcoming sensor replacement? No, I did not. I wrote about the press release and mused about why it was that they did not mention the sensor replacement. Here is the extent of what Fujifilm stated in the press release about current X10/X-S1 owners:

"We encourage any customer with an X10 and X-S1 who has experienced the ‘white disc’ phenomenon to call their local authorized Fujifilm service centre."

All I asked is, why didnt they mention their replacement program in the press release. Why bury this news in scores of phone calls across the globe?

A simple, harmless question.

#27 jdbish

jdbish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • LocationKaty, Texas

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:11 PM

[quote name='Ratty Mouse' timestamp='1332976001' post='42995']
Did you read anything that I wrote? If yes, then clearly you did not understand it. Did I say anything about Fujifilm's upcoming sensor replacement? No, I did not. I wrote about the press release and mused about why it was that they did not mention the sensor replacement. Here is the extent of what Fujifilm stated in the press release about current X10/X-S1 owners:

"We encourage any customer with an X10 and X-S1 who has experienced the ‘white disc’ phenomenon to call their local authorized Fujifilm service centre."

All I asked is, why didnt they mention their replacement program in the press release. Why bury this news in scores of phone calls across the globe?

Fuji also said: We will also develop a modified sensor, which will more universally resolve the ‘white disc’ blooming effect in all modes. We are working hard to make this new sensor available from late May 2012.
When all else fails, read the directions.

#28 steve

steve

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:32 PM

why is it SO important to you that Fuji should say what you THINK THEY SHOULD SAY?
its THEIR CAMERA, its THEIR way of handling it, period.
they made the announcement as to what THEY are going to do and so far YOU seem to be the only person who feels that FUJI is'nt doing what or saying what you want them to
get off your soap box already--- its old
XT-1,X100,X100S,X10,X20,XPro1,X-E1,X-E2,X-M1,X-A1,XS1,XF1,XQ1

14,18,23,27,35,60,16-50,18-55,55-200

#29 flysurfer

flysurfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • LocationNUE

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:03 AM

Reading your threads, I get the impression that there may be something wrong with you. I'm very sorry about this and really do hope that things will work out for eventually. However, I fear that photo forums won't be able to address your obsessions, hence the endless goong in circles. In any case: Good luck!
  • zen likes this

#30 Ratty Mouse

Ratty Mouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:19 AM

Reading your threads, I get the impression that there may be something wrong with you. I'm very sorry about this and really do hope that things will work out for eventually. However, I fear that photo forums won't be able to address your obsessions, hence the endless goong in circles. In any case: Good luck!

It's a simple question. If you don't know the answer, then you do not need to freak out and launch personal attacks. Clearly your level of creativity is so low that you cannot imagine the very concept that a company who has made a defective product might actually state in their very own press release where they acknowledge that problem, that they will fix that product for people who already own the camera! Is that so hard to imagine, so impossible to comprehend?

Amazing.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: X10

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users