• Create Account

Welcome to Fuji X Forum!

Welcome to the Fuji X Forum, the largest online community of Fujifilm X camera users!

Creating a forum account is FREE!

The primary benefit to registering is so you can post in the community, and be notified when discussions are updated.

Other benefits include uploading photos, creating a photo gallery, getting answers to technical questions and assistance with trouble-shooting, communicate with other members via private messages, elgibility for contests, and more!

Registering is a simple process that requires minimal information. Become a part of the forum by signing in or creating an account. For your convenience you can sign in using Facebook, Twitter or Google.

We take pride in being the friendliest photo forum on the net.

Come on in join the fun!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

X100 Firmware 1.21 !!

X100

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 masty

masty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Local time: 06:08 AM

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:04 AM

I've have just had a call from Fuji UK to say that Fuji (in Japan) are fully aware of the issues around 1.20 and that they are currently urgently working on a new update and are going to get it out as quickly as possible.

They called because my camera was with them for repair and they acknowledged my camera had problems with 1.20. They are reverting my camera back to 1.13 and returning it.

well, at least we know they are on the case in resolving the problems.

#2 onreb

onreb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:16 AM

I've have just had a call from Fuji UK to say that Fuji (in Japan) are fully aware of the issues around 1.20 and that they are currently urgently working on a new update and are going to get it out as quickly as possible.
They called because my camera was with them for repair and they acknowledged my camera had problems with 1.20. They are reverting my camera back to 1.13 and returning it.

Good news, but it's not "your camera". Quite simply, if they say they have an X100 without our problems with FW1.20, they are lying.

#3 masty

masty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:34 AM

Good news, but it's not "your camera". Quite simply, if they say they have an X100 without our problems with FW1.20, they are lying.

highly likely. when i first called them last week, they said they hadnt received, read or heard of any such issues cropping up from 1.2, and that their camera worked perfectly. i did make a point of pointing them to this forum so they could see for themselves. They asked for my camera to be sent to them which i duly did. They acknowldeged there is a problem. Well as long as they sort it all out. The chap from Fuji did say 1.2 is extrmely embarrassing because it has created more problems than it has solved.

#4 pcg

pcg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Local time: 12:08 AM
  • LocationCentral Massachusetts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:15 AM

Interesting comments, as I've been thrilled with 1.20 and have no interest in "reverting" to the old firmware.

#5 flysurfer

flysurfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts
  • Local time: 07:08 AM
  • LocationNUE

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:16 AM

Interesting comments, as I've been thrilled with 1.20 and have no interest in "reverting" to the old firmware.

Well, I certainly won't revert (I think I'm flexible enough to not be photographically derailed by these problems), but I'm still very much looking forward to a bug free version of 1.20. Hopefully, the wait won't be too long.

#6 gjk

gjk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:31 AM

I'm happy with 1.20 and worked without problems from the day it is released?!

#7 mark_l

mark_l

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Local time: 05:08 AM
  • LocationLondon

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:35 AM

Likewise. The only issue it introduced I've noticed is problems at close distance at wide aperture and I'm not into shooting macro with a 35mm equiv lens with 2mm depth of field.

Still Fuji continue to put egg on their face, a firmware update to fix problems and now an update to fix the update that created new ones. Oh dear.

#8 Pietro Ferrari

Pietro Ferrari

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationItaly, Savona.

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:56 AM

I'm happy with 1.13, 1.20 never worked without problems from the day it is released?!

Ciao, Pietro.
  • Trufaxer likes this
forgive me for my bad English

you can see my photography on my Flickr page

#9 Bonner01

Bonner01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Local time: 09:08 PM
  • LocationVentura, California

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:59 AM

The only change that bugged me was the way the camera performed in aperture priority, auto ISO in dark or very bright situations. When I shoot inside at even f/8.0, if the exposure is lower than my 1/125th, it blows out with about 3 stops over exposed. It does the opposite in bright lighting at even f/4.0! This was not how V1.3 behaved.
Now, I have had to set the camera from aperture priority to full automatic. For a street shooter this was not a good upgrade!
PBase Supporter Since 2004 http://www.pbase.com/bonner01
http://500px.com/Bonner01 X100 X-E1 18mm f/2.0 27mm f/2.8 56mm f/1.2 18-55 f/2.8 - f/4.0

#10 onreb

onreb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:13 AM

The only change that bugged me was the way the camera performed in aperture priority, auto ISO in dark or very bright situations. When I shoot inside at even f/8.0, if the exposure is lower than my 1/125th, it blows out with about 3 stops over exposed. It does the opposite in bright lighting at even f/4.0! This was not how V1.3 behaved.
Now, I have had to set the camera from aperture priority to full automatic. For a street shooter this was not a good upgrade!

Uh? A new bug? Has this one been reproduced/verified too?
Sorry if I ask, I'm aware of the other problems but haven't yet read anything about exposure problems.

#11 Jeff Charles

Jeff Charles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationOaxaca, Mexico

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:24 AM

I've only been able to replicate this problem when the camera is set to spot metering.

Edit: And if it only happens with spot metering, it's not actually a problem.

#12 brett maxwell

brett maxwell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • LocationLansing, MI

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:31 AM

I've reverted to 1.13 also, largely because I prefer to autofocus in the MF mode with the back button. I'm looking forward to 1.21!
  • Trufaxer likes this

#13 Walt

Walt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationBerkeley, California

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:34 AM

For those who say they have no problems with the 1.20 firmware, I wonder if they have noticed the following. In AFS or AFC mode, if you switch from any electronic view mode (LCD screen, EVF or magnified view) to the OVF mode, AFL button-initiated focus lock is lost. This means that while using the OFV if you remove your eye from the eyepiece for just a moment (which turns on the LCD) and then return your eye to the eyepiece, your focus lock is gone. I am talking about focus lock accomplished with the AFL button in switch mode. This is a very serious bug and I hope Fuji is aware of it so that they can correct it. It has been little mentioned here, though Arjay did mention the EVF-->OVF switch. I too have reverted to 1.13 on both my cameras and am very much looking forward to a 1.21 that corrects all the problems 1.20 introduced.

#14 masty

masty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:42 AM

Well, however it has affected your camera (either to greater or lesser degrees, or even not at all) let us hope that Fuji realise they need to produce something that works, and above all, in such a way that does the camera justice.

i think it hurts most because peoples' hopes and expectations get raised, only to be shortly dashed, which considering that people spend their hard earned money on these things, is a little unsporting.

We shall see what the future holds

#15 Jeff Charles

Jeff Charles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationOaxaca, Mexico

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:04 AM

For those who say they have no problems with the 1.20 firmware, I wonder if they have noticed the following. In AFS or AFC mode, if you switch from any electronic view mode (LCD screen, EVF or magnified view) to the OVF mode, AFL button-initiated focus lock is lost. This means that while using the OFV if you remove your eye from the eyepiece for just a moment (which turns on the LCD) and then return your eye to the eyepiece, your focus lock is gone. I am talking about focus lock accomplished with the AFL button in switch mode. This is a very serious bug and I hope Fuji is aware of it so that they can correct it. It has been little mentioned here, though Arjay did mention the EVF-->OVF switch. I too have reverted to 1.13 on both my cameras and am very much looking forward to a 1.21 that corrects all the problems 1.20 introduced.

It is a known bug, but like most X100 bugs, quirks, and undocumented "features", it's importance depends on how you use the camera.

I have my X100 set to "AE&AF On When Pressing", and the problem does not occur when I remove my eye from the viewfinder or when I switch between the OVF and the EVF.

Jeff

#16 onreb

onreb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:57 PM

It is a known bug, but like most X100 bugs, quirks, and undocumented "features", it's importance depends on how you use the camera.
Jeff

It's a FW1.20 bug, in 1.13 the focus lock (toggle) works.
Of course, not everyone will be aware of all the bugs, but it's not nice they are there. The camera is so good we accept to cope with shortcomings and quirks, but accepting serious bugs seems a bit excessive.
Yes, I can aim focus, in MF, in the lower-right corner of the box. I can take correctly focused photos. Nonetheless I complain...

Fuji have had testers. Now, I think they have to learn to hire the right ones.
Give a prototipe camera to any conscentious photographer and, just for example, if it can't decouple focusing from the shutter button - using what every serious camera in the world uses, the AFL button - he will report a serious problem. And so on. Releasing a FW so buggy means they have not had an actual photographer or expert tecnician testing it. Seeing there's something wrong has required users a very short time.

I am repeating this: they have happy customers for the X100, and these customers are also the base for the X-Pro diffusion. If they keep looking, well, imprecise, that's not good for the future.

#17 Jeff Charles

Jeff Charles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationOaxaca, Mexico

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:03 PM

The camera is so good we accept to cope with shortcomings and quirks, but accepting serious bugs seems a bit excessive.

If it sounded like I was making excuses for the X100, that was not my intent. I was just pointing out that a flaw that's very serious for one person, may not affect another, based on how each person uses the camera.

I do agree that pointing out problems is a good thing. Those discussions often identify workarounds, and maybe they can lead to fixes by Fuji. (I believe that Fuji does read this forum.)

Releasing a FW so buggy means they have not had an actual photographer or expert tecnician testing it. Seeing there's something wrong has required users a very short time.

I've thought this for a while.

Jeff

#18 Gnaw

Gnaw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:24 PM

I really hope Fuji gets 1.21 out soon. I miss some of the features 1.20 had to offer, but I had to revert back to 1.13 in order to get my camera to focus well enough to take a picture. For the amount of money I've invested in this camera I could have bought a nice DSLR. If the firmware issues aren't resolved soon, I might just have to return the X100 and go back to Sony, Their cameras served me well for over 10 years, with not one firmware issue.
  • Trufaxer likes this

#19 Walt

Walt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationBerkeley, California

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:58 PM

If it sounded like I was making excuses for the X100, that was not my intent. I was just pointing out that a flaw that's very serious for one person, may not affect another, based on how each person uses the camera.

I do agree that pointing out problems is a good thing. Those discussions often identify workarounds, and maybe they can lead to fixes by Fuji. (I believe that Fuji does read this forum.)

I've thought this for a while.

Jeff

Jeff, I didn't think you were "making excuses" for the camera, but the problem I described is for an operational feature offered in the menu (AFL button as an on-off switch) and one that many people consider essential. It's simply not working. So it is a hard core bug, not a quirk or logical, procedural decision on Fuji's part. I am very surprised that Fuji has been so haphazard about software--from the beginning. It sometimes seems as if they've never made a digital camera before, which isn't true.

#20 Trufaxer

Trufaxer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Local time: 05:08 AM

Posted 29 March 2012 - 04:24 PM

Really hoping 1.21 comes out soon, I hope they ironed out the issues.

#21 onreb

onreb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:29 PM

If it sounded like I was making excuses for the X100...
Jeff

Not at all! I only meant to make clearer that the useless behaviour of the focus lock... self unlocking is a 1.20 issue, not one of the known quirks.

#22 jordanatkins

jordanatkins

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:39 PM

Minimum shutter speed isn't working for me anymore, I usually have it set to 1/30th of a second minimum, but with 1.20 fw it's like it completely ignores that setting and will continue to use slower shutter speeds even with DR and ISO set to auto.

Also, I'm annoyed with the new blurriness when shooting wide open.

#23 Bonner01

Bonner01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:47 PM

Uh? A new bug? Has this one been reproduced/verified too?
Sorry if I ask, I'm aware of the other problems but haven't yet read anything about exposure problems.

100% of the time! Varied the DR, varied the metering mode...to no avail. If you have the camera, shoot in aperture priority, auto ISO, low indoor light at f/11 and then you can verify for both of us. At f/2.0, no problems.

Posted Image
FujiFilm FinePix X100
1/10s f/11.0 at 23.0mm iso3200

Program mode fixes it for me!
http://500px.com/Bonner01 X100 X-E1 18mm f/2.0 27mm f/2.8 56mm f/1.2 18-55 f/2.8 - f/4.0

#24 flysurfer

flysurfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts
  • LocationNUE

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:03 PM

Minimum shutter speed isn't working for me anymore, I usually have it set to 1/30th of a second minimum, but with 1.20 fw it's like it completely ignores that setting and will continue to use slower shutter speeds even with DR and ISO set to auto.

Also, I'm annoyed with the new blurriness when shooting wide open.

Switch the cam off and on again, and it will recognize the time you've set.

#25 Conrad Monroe

Conrad Monroe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Local time: 10:08 PM
  • LocationShow Low, Arizona

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:13 AM

100% of the time! Varied the DR, varied the metering mode...to no avail. If you have the camera, shoot in aperture priority, auto ISO, low indoor light at f/11 and then you can verify for both of us. At f/2.0, no problems.

Posted Image
FujiFilm FinePix X100

Sorry, could not replicate your findings. Used aperature mode at f11, autoiso 3200, 1 sec

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

102.83KB   32 downloads
Conrad

Show Low, AZ

#26 jordanatkins

jordanatkins

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:31 AM

Posted Image
FujiFilm FinePix X100

Uh oh, looks like you might have the stuck aperture problem...

#27 jordanatkins

jordanatkins

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:33 AM

Switch the cam off and on again, and it will recognize the time you've set.

You're right! Thanks. Shouldn't have to do that though...

#28 onreb

onreb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:47 AM

What jordanatkins says: sticky blades...

#29 viramati

viramati

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:48 AM

I emailed fuji about this and just had a call from them saying that fuji Japan are aware of the issue and are working on it

#30 Bonner01

Bonner01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:37 AM

Thanks Conrad...that was very helpful. I assume you are on V1.2. I have had SAB at 3,000 actuaction and I am now at 12,000 and all has been going well until V1.2. I will continue to test and evaluate to make sure it is not a setting that changed. But then again, the camera should make things very dark if the scene is under exposed. Same day, outside at f/16 (no SAB) in bright light:
Posted Image
FujiFilm FinePix X100
1/1600s f/16.0 at 23.0mm iso200

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: X100

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users