• Create Account

Welcome to Fuji X Forum!

Welcome to the Fuji X Forum, the largest online community of Fujifilm X camera users!

Creating a forum account is FREE!

The primary benefit to registering is so you can post in the community, and be notified when discussions are updated.

Other benefits include uploading photos, creating a photo gallery, getting answers to technical questions and assistance with trouble-shooting, communicate with other members via private messages, elgibility for contests, and more!

Registering is a simple process that requires minimal information. Become a part of the forum by signing in or creating an account. For your convenience you can sign in using Facebook, Twitter or Google.

We take pride in being the friendliest photo forum on the net.

Come on in join the fun!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

X-E1 + 35/1.4 on eBay from HK

X-E1

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 torn

torn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Local time: 06:18 PM
  • LocationToronto

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:35 PM

Wondering if these sellers are legit. Theres a few of them, this is the lowest price. AFAIK HK does retail a package with the 35/1.4 instead of the 18-55 kit.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#2 generationally

generationally

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Local time: 01:18 AM

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:36 AM

Wondering if these sellers are legit. Theres a few of them, this is the lowest price. AFAIK HK does retail a package with the 35/1.4 instead of the 18-55 kit.

They seem to be mainly serving the Australian market and also have a traditional online shop:

And quite good feedback:

Hmm, tempting!!

#3 torn

torn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:22 AM

Nice find. eBay price is a bit higher, site gives me ~1310$ US for the combo + battery + cleaning kit + screen protector via EMS.
Concerned about getting taxed though :/

#4 Cinders

Cinders

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Local time: 05:18 PM
  • LocationCoral Springs, FL

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:42 AM

Wow, so I could have saved $200 by not buying the 35mm and body separately. And my 35mm is slightly used, and it can't be returned. Lovely. :(

#5 generationally

generationally

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Local time: 01:18 AM

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:44 PM

Nice find. eBay price is a bit higher, site gives me ~1310$ US for the combo + battery + cleaning kit + screen protector via EMS.
Concerned about getting taxed though :/

About the tax...

Here in Finland, the tax is 23%. So if I add that to the price then I would only save 10% by buying the body+35mm kit from T-Dimension compared to buying the body and 35mm separately from the local shop here where they have the silver body and 35mm in stock.

So for me it is not really worth buying it from T-Dimension after all. Except I want the black body and not the silver one ;)

#6 TomasT

TomasT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Local time: 11:18 PM
  • LocationSweden/Stockholm

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:25 AM

I never bought anything on ebay or amazon. In sweden we have something called blocket.se which are so infested by scammers that you barely can use it.

Anyone know if it's considered safe to buy stuff at ebay and such?
---------------------------
www.torasenfoto.com
---------------------------

#7 Arjay

Arjay

Admin

• Administrators
  • 8,418 posts
  • Local time: 12:18 AM
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:00 AM

No problem with Ebay whatsoever. I've repeatedly used them as they address a large public and thus help to sell specialty items such as exotic cameras and lenses.

As a buyer, I am taking a close look at winning bidders and their reputation. Anybody with a rating of less than 99.6% and less than 100 transactions will not be considered as buyer. I am fairly careful with T&Cs and rather decide against a vendor if their conditions are unclear or unfavorable.

As a seller, I am using my own T&Cs (a little research can help to find suitable texts) as in the EU, you have to honor a 2yr warranty unless you specifically exclude it. Customer service is extremely important; if you receive a negative review from one of your buyers, this can have a fairly negative effect on your future sales: Either you won't find a buyer, or you won't achieve the prices you expected. So it pays to play fair and be co-operative.

Payment transactions have never been a problem. The PayPal system is well integrated in Ebay's claims regulation concept. They are the fastest and simplest option for international buyers; for vendors, their charges aren't too favorable.

Out of roughly 300 transactions, I've only once encountered a problem: A vendor filed for bankruptcy. But that's a problem you can fall victim to also in real life.

As to Amazon - that's a very well organized platform with smooth transactions. Again, the buyer has to be thorough and do his research thoroughly as after-sales customer service is underdeveloped (btw the same with Ebay). When buying directly from Amazon or via one of their fulfillment centers, delivery is lightning fast (I'm speaking of their performance in Germany).

#8 Steven K

Steven K

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Local time: 03:18 PM

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:18 PM

Well I took a chance I just ordered a silver/black X-E1 with the 35/1.4 lens from T Dimension.
They are running a "special" this weekend.
I paid USD $1,283.00 which include priority DHL shipping to the USA.
Keeping my fingers crossed.

Steven

#9 Frankie

Frankie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts
  • Local time: 02:18 PM
  • LocationThe Left Coast

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:08 AM

HK thrives on buying and selling, be it stocks, bonds, currency, cameras, watches...fake goods...

Often a merchant would buy in lower quantity pricing and sell at better discounts...betting the goods would be unloaded before the wholesale invoice is due. The profit margin may be smaller, but the key is fast enough action.

Unlike a "designer" handbag, Fuji cameras are not so easy to fake.

Unlike Rolex watches, the manufacturer could not afford its own undercover police.

Buying on eBay and paying with Paypal has its own buyer protection. The trick is not to buy from someone who lower the price but pad the [non-refundable] shipping charges. For higher ticket items, pay extra for track-able shipping...unaguable when disputes occurred.

#10 Woodfuji

Woodfuji

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:59 PM

What is warranty coverage for a purchase from ebay? Most of these sellers say warranty is offered but that they are going to do the repairs themselves and one has to send it back to them vs sending it to a local fuji authorized repair place. This makes me suspicious that these sales are not approved by Fuji and warranty is not covered. Not sure I want to pay new prices and not have warranty or have to send it back to HK for repairs to someone who may or may not be authorized.

#11 cdodkin

cdodkin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:05 AM

I've used T-Dimension - excellent service and fast delivery from HK to the US.

I purchased a 3rd party transferable warranty to cover the kit I purchased as well.

Tax is somewhat random - it would vary by country, point of entry etc etc - i.e not everything seems to get checked/taxed

My last order came through with a $0 tax bill from the shipping company - excellent! :D

#12 Frankie

Frankie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts
  • LocationThe Left Coast

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:52 AM

HK thrives on buying and selling......

Everything else you are on your own...you might be lucky that the thing does not need fixing within the warranty period [mostly], or the post office neglected the tax [happens to me 9 out of 10 times].

#13 curveship

curveship

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:48 AM

I've used T-Dimension - excellent service and fast delivery from HK to the US.

I purchased a 3rd party transferable warranty to cover the kit I purchased as well.

For anyone, particularly those in the US, a small warning: don't pick from the warranties T-Dimension lists in the dropdown of its page for the X-E1. Most are international warranties, which Mack says are void in the US. Some of them also offer too little coverage (like $250), others too much ($3000). The list seems a bit whack. I plan to purchase the warranty from Adorama.

#14 Steven K

Steven K

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:00 PM

Well I feel a little better I got a fed ex tracking # today from T-Dimensions

#15 cdodkin

cdodkin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:48 PM

For anyone, particularly those in the US, a small warning: don't pick from the warranties T-Dimension lists in the dropdown of its page for the X-E1. Most are international warranties, which Mack says are void in the US. Some of them also offer too little coverage (like $250), others too much ($3000). The list seems a bit whack. I plan to purchase the warranty from Adorama.

That sounds like BS to me.

The Mack warranty I purchased from T_Dimension, is fully applicable in the US - in fact you take the warranty ID number T-Dimension give you, and register it with Mack via their website - so you know it's valid immediately.

This warranty is fully transferable, unlike the Fuji warranty - so it even has some benefits.

#16 cdodkin

cdodkin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:51 PM

Well I feel a little better I got a fed ex tracking # today from T-Dimensions

Excellent - delivery is usually fast, depending on customs of course - the carrier usually does all customs clearing for you, then sends you any duty owed in a letter after delivery.

Let us know how you get on :)

#17 curveship

curveship

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:03 PM

That sounds like BS to me.

That's a bit harsh, don't you think? Especially when I'm trying to help others out and did my homework on this.

T-dimension lists Mack warranty products 1011, 1202, 1018 and 1810 in their dropdown for the X-E1.

Go to

and look these up and you'll find:

1011: 3 Year Standard Warranty for Digital Cameras Under $6000 -- why pay for $6k of coverage instead of Mack's $1.5k or $2k warranties?

1202: 3 Year Standard Warranty for Digital Cameras Under $2000 -- the only one that makes some sense

1018: 5 Year Standard Warranty for Digital Cameras Under $3000 -- again, why overbuy your coverage?

1810: 3 Year International Diamond Warranty for Digital Cameras Under $1500 -- sounds great until you check the Coverage terms where it says in all caps "NOT VALID IN THE USA". US buyers want the "Diamond" warranty (not offered by T-Dimension, as far as I can tell), not the "International Diamond"

#18 boone

boone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • LocationRiverside, CA

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:06 PM

Just so you know, there is no duty on cameras in the US. Not that way in other countries I know. I purchased my first X100 from a dealer in Japan and Fuji USA honored the warranty when I presented a copy of the sales receipt even though the box said the warranty was only good in Japan. The fact is that Fuji sells in the USA and can be sued in the USA. In California where I live you can sue in small claims court for up to $10,000. Cost you $25 to file a suit. No vendor wants to defend against a legitimate small claims suit. they can't use an attorney but must send in someone in management. The few times I have had to resort to small claims the vendors have all settled before we went to court. People need to learn to use their rights and not allow the vendor to push them around just because they are a big company. The one area you will lose on is on counterfeit and stolen goods. You are not the legal owner even if you paid for it if it is stolen property and counterfeit goods are illegal goods with no warranty rights.

#19 cdodkin

cdodkin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:55 PM

That's a bit harsh, don't you think? Especially when I'm trying to help others out and did my homework on this.

T-dimension lists Mack warranty products 1011, 1202, 1018 and 1810 in their dropdown for the X-E1.

Go to

and look these up and you'll find:

1011: 3 Year Standard Warranty for Digital Cameras Under $6000 -- why pay for $6k of coverage instead of Mack's $1.5k or $2k warranties?

1202: 3 Year Standard Warranty for Digital Cameras Under $2000 -- the only one that makes some sense

1018: 5 Year Standard Warranty for Digital Cameras Under $3000 -- again, why overbuy your coverage?

1810: 3 Year International Diamond Warranty for Digital Cameras Under $1500 -- sounds great until you check the Coverage terms where it says in all caps "NOT VALID IN THE USA". US buyers want the "Diamond" warranty (not offered by T-Dimension, as far as I can tell), not the "International Diamond"

Harsh? Really? Not sure why you are having a problem with this...

1810 - Specifically says INTERNATIONAL - and believe it or not there are international customers, outside of the US, who need a 3 year warranty - this is for them.

1018 - This service contract will cover one digital camera body and one lens providing that both pieces of equipment are listed on the same sales receipt. - 5 Years of coverage

There are only two standard 5 year plans available:

1016 5 Year Digital Cameras Under $1000
1018 5 Year Digital Cameras Under $3000

As the camera + lens is over $1000 - if you want 5 years of coverage with the standard plan you choose 1018

1202 - 3 Year Digital Cameras Under $2000 - you get this one already

1011 - This is a different level of cover - it's a PRO contract - the minimum contract cover under a PRO contract is $6000

Professional Coverage

This Service Contract is designed for individuals who use high end equipment for business or recreation. Your Mack Camera Extended Service Contract covers manufacturer defects that can result in the loss of operation to your equipment. The Mack Camera Extended Service Contract will cover parts and labor for the life of the Extended Service Contract plan at no additional charge to you, truly making this Extended Service Contract a smart investment for your equipment. Professional coverage also provides you with expedited repair service.

So none of the plans offered are in any way misleading. You have multiple options, all of which are appropriate based on your required level of coverage and/or place of residence.

You can find additional info on MACK warranty here:

and under the WARRANTY tab on the T-Dimension website

#20 curveship

curveship

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:22 AM

cdodkin -- Really, I'm not looking for a quarrel. I'm just trying to help other buyers of the X-E1. I found the options confusing when I placed my order with T-Dimension, and thought I'd pass on the information here in case it proved useful to anyone else. I'm not trying to malign T-Dimension, either. I assume the weird options are just a mistake.

Good catch on the 5 year. You're right, there isn't an option b/w $1k and $3k. I missed that. So yes, that ones makes perfect sense.

I am, of course, fully aware that there are non-US buyers. Can you explain what it was made you think otherwise? I was pretty explicit that my warning was for US buyers in my original post.

When you're a US buyer of a Japanese camera from a Hong Kong retailer, the context of "International" is a little vague. Ergo, the clarification: "international" does not mean "world-wide" but specifically "not US", and hence US buyers should avoid it (and it's fine for others). Since I want the "Diamond" level of coverage, I needed clarity on this.

The $6k "Pro" warranty isn't a different coverage. Check the T&C. "Pro" is just what Mack calls a Standard warranty for >$6k. I still don't see the purpose in overbuying insurance.

One more bit of experience that might prove useful to other buyers. I just got contacted by Fedex asking me to fill out an FCC form 740 for my camera. I found the info here useful for doing that:

#21 Steven K

Steven K

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:15 PM

Well my X-E1 Silver with 35/1.4 came today fedex from T-Dimension, Incredible considering I ordered it this past weekend.
I live in Colorado. I didn't have to pay any customs fees either.
In the X-E1 Box there is some T-Dimension warranty stuff, but I would never send it back to them for service.
Overall I am a very happy camper. Total cost USD$1283.00

Steven

#22 Cinders

Cinders

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:51 PM

Wow that was incredibly fast. I feel ok now about buying it from T-Dimension last night because I was sick of waiting for Amazon lol.

#23 89andy

89andy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:57 PM

anyone from Canada bought from this store? Worried about the excessive customs fees here. Are they marking down the value of their products or something?

#24 zen

zen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Locationnew jersey

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:23 PM

those cameras wont be covered under the USA warranty, its good that you gave the link to Mack cameras extended warranty so nobody will lose out if they purchase the camera online from an overseas dealer.

#25 Weasel_Loader

Weasel_Loader

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationEdwards AFB, Ca

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:41 PM

Ordered X-E1 kit w/35mm f/1.4 from t-dimension3 at 11pm Sunday night and arrived exactly 36 hours later at my door via FedEx in Southern California. How crazy is that??? I've NEVER had anything come that fast including a letter from a nearby town.

Only had it a few hours and so far, I'm very happy with the speed compared to the first version firmware X100 that I owned. EVF is only very slightly more laggy compared to my OM-D. OM-D feels a little more rugged (weather sealed) and has a better grip out of the box. I owned the OM-D batter/grip combo and it made the camera too big for my taste. Button and controls are much better on the X-E1. Menus on both are equally decent design. Can't wait to get out and take some photos!
USAF Ret

#26 Cinders

Cinders

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:46 AM

Just got my tracking number. So excited.

#27 Cinders

Cinders

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:17 AM

It just arrived this morning. Sooo fast.

It's the most beautiful camera I've ever held in my hands. The metal is so amazing. I love it already. It's telling me the lens firmware needs to be updates. I don't see the AF speed being too slow on this old fw, so I can't wait to see if it gets faster. The AF has missed once or twice, but I'm sure the new fw will help it out. (35mm)

I tested it with my Pentax 50mm with adapter, but I can't seem to find the option to turn on the EVF's magnification.

edit: sorry for the double post before, anyways just updated the lens firmware and the lens is now noticeably faster, I'm very pleased, it's almost on par with my Pentax K-r, so I'm happy I made the switch.

#28 torn

torn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:32 PM

Been watching the price for this; it was as low as 9200 HKD two weeks ago now its up to 10200 HKD (Black) <_<
Fuck it i'll just buy it next year

#29 torn

torn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:36 PM

It just arrived this morning. Sooo fast.

It's the most beautiful camera I've ever held in my hands. The metal is so amazing. I love it already. It's telling me the lens firmware needs to be updates. I don't see the AF speed being too slow on this old fw, so I can't wait to see if it gets faster. The AF has missed once or twice, but I'm sure the new fw will help it out. (35mm)

I tested it with my Pentax 50mm with adapter, but I can't seem to find the option to turn on the EVF's magnification.

edit: sorry for the double post before, anyways just updated the lens firmware and the lens is now noticeably faster, I'm very pleased, it's almost on par with my Pentax K-r, so I'm happy I made the switch.

Does it include the lens hood? I've asked the staff all I got was mixed up english and vague answers

#30 Weasel_Loader

Weasel_Loader

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationEdwards AFB, Ca

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:16 PM

Lens hood is included.

I found the focus just fine. Yes, it is slower than my OM-D, but I knew it going into the Fuji. The only time is it a problem is in low light. It stuggles quite a bit to focus in low light.
USAF Ret

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: X-E1

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users