• Create Account

18-135mm now in stock!

Fuji USA Specials - EXTENDED! PLUS: 14mm, 23mm, 35mm specials coming soon!

Welcome to Fuji X Forum!

Welcome to the Fuji X Forum, the largest online community of Fujifilm X camera users!

Creating a forum account is FREE!

The primary benefit to registering is so you can post in the community, and be notified when discussions are updated.

Other benefits include uploading photos, creating a photo gallery, getting answers to technical questions and assistance with trouble-shooting, communicate with other members via private messages, elgibility for contests, and more!

Registering is a simple process that requires minimal information. Become a part of the forum by signing in or creating an account. For your convenience you can sign in using Facebook, Twitter or Google.

We take pride in being the friendliest photo forum on the net.

Come on in join the fun!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

alternatives to fuji ef-x20

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mark b

mark b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Local time: 07:05 AM

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:34 AM

I currently have a rather large flash left over from my DSLR usage which I use mainly off camera. it's very useful but also very large/heavy now that I've downsized the camera/lenses.

I like the look/size of the EF-X20 flash, but I don't really like the price. Does anyone know of any small flash alternatives? I don't need TTL as I usually use off camera flash in manual mode and it doesn't need to tilt as I use it off camera so can tilt the entire unit.

What are the options?

#2 Zoidberg

Zoidberg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Local time: 08:05 AM
  • LocationItaly

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:08 AM

have a look at the Metz flashes

#3 mark b

mark b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:29 AM

So far the only thing I can find is the Sunpak pf20xd

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Does anyone have any experience with this? Or found anything else? Even this isn't as compact as the fuji!

#4 Roger May

Roger May

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • LocationGloucestershire UK

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:40 AM

The EF20 (no X in the name) is much cheaper and I see Amazon have them. Many of us have one and are very happy with it.

#5 mark b

mark b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:58 AM

The EF20 (no X in the name) is much cheaper and I see Amazon have them. Many of us have one and are very happy with it.

I have seen that (and the sunpak which lies under the fuji branding) and they are contenders, but I have read that these aren't as good for off camera manual use as you can't manually alter the power. They are also bigger than the X flash, though I haven't held one so maybe this wouldn't be an issue...

#6 Roger May

Roger May

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:40 AM

I have seen that (and the sunpak which lies under the fuji branding) and they are contenders, but I have read that these aren't as good for off camera manual use as you can't manually alter the power. They are also bigger than the X flash, though I haven't held one so maybe this wouldn't be an issue...

I don't think the EF20 is bigger than EFx-20 - smaller I feel sure. I agree it cannot be used off camera very easily although I believe there are cables which work - Canon? Don't hold me to the latter statement but it might be worth researching if cable connection would be adequate for your purposes.

#7 Arjay

Arjay

Admin

• Administrators
  • 8,146 posts
  • Local time: 09:05 AM
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:54 AM

I don't think the EF20 is bigger than EFx-20 - smaller I feel sure. I agree it cannot be used off camera very easily although I believe there are cables which work - Canon? Don't hold me to the latter statement but it might be worth researching if cable connection would be adequate for your purposes.

I have both flash units; the EF-X20 is about half the volume of an EF-20.

BTW, the Sunpak RD2000 which looks exactly like the EF-20, is NOT identical internally to the Fuji flash. The Sunpak unit is only available in Nikon and Canon versions, whereas the EF-20 is exclusively compatible with Fuji cameras. These flash units are TTL only, and do not have any manual modes.

The EF-X20 both offers TTL and manual mode, and also features a slave mode. In slave mode, the flash only works using a manual power setting, so there's no TTL in slave mode.

Off-camera TTL is possible both with the EF-20 and the EF-X20 in tethered operation, using a Canon OC-E3 cable or one of its Chinese aftermarket look-alike cables.

#8 Roger May

Roger May

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:19 AM

I have both flash units; the EF-X20 is about half the volume of an EF-20.

Thanks Arjay. I was not aware of that and really thought the EF20 was the smaller. Moral; I should research before I publish.

#9 mark b

mark b

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:46 AM

Well, I've bought the Sunpak pf20xd.

Lets hope it's small enough and performs well.

I will report back once it has arrived and I've got a few shots.

#10 Xtatic

Xtatic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Local time: 03:05 PM
  • LocationPasig City, Philippines

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:19 AM

Hi, mark b.

After reading this thread I became interested in getting the Sunpak PF20XD
instead of the EF-X20 which I still would love to have. :-)

Any chance we could hear your thoughts on the Sunpak soon? Thanks, mark b.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users