• Create Account

Welcome to Fuji X Forum!

Welcome to the Fuji X Forum, the largest online community of Fujifilm X camera users!

Creating a forum account is FREE!

The primary benefit to registering is so you can post in the community, and be notified when discussions are updated.

Other benefits include uploading photos, creating a photo gallery, getting answers to technical questions and assistance with trouble-shooting, communicate with other members via private messages, elgibility for contests, and more!

Registering is a simple process that requires minimal information. Become a part of the forum by signing in or creating an account. For your convenience you can sign in using Facebook, Twitter or Google.

We take pride in being the friendliest photo forum on the net.

Come on in join the fun!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

OVF/EVF/old eyes........

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bonedaddy

bonedaddy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Local time: 12:26 PM

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:41 PM

Saw the following posted on another forum as part of an X-Pro1 discussion.

"My problem is with the OVF/EVF combination. I have very good long vision, which means that I can look through an OVF without needing a diopter, but since I use reading glasses I need a diopter for the for using an EVF. If I get a diopter for the Fuji X-Pro1, I'll see through the EVF fine but will have a blurred view looking through the OVF. That is what I found when I tried out the X-Pro1 in a store."

For those "older" folks on the list who shoot with the X100, has this OVF/EVF switching been any type of problem for you?

TIA - geezer john

#2 Arjay

Arjay

Admin

• Administrators
  • 7,997 posts
  • Local time: 08:26 PM
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:55 PM

Not really. I adjusted the diopter correction for a good OVF data overlay display. This will also be good for the EVF. In this setting, my vision for distant objects is still sufficient for OVF scene viewing.

Note that I am slightly far-sighted with strong astigmatism, which in total combines to the need for a ~ +2dpt correction. YMMV, especially if you tend to be near-sighted.

#3 pait

pait

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Local time: 01:26 PM
  • LocationS Paulo, Brazil, and Brookline, Massachusetts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:56 AM

I am short sighted as well as far sighted, and a little astigmatic. My experience is the same as Arjay - note that I am by no means implying that I am as experienced as he is, just that diopter correction works fine for me.

After I adjust the diopter, both the electronic and the optic viewfinders in the X100 give me a fine view.

#4 perlovsky

perlovsky

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Local time: 11:26 AM

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:02 PM

one the things I like best about the x100 is that I can adjust it to use with reading glasses indoors t close range and With distance glasses outdoors or at greater working distance. I did not get an xpro for just that reason.

#5 delibius

delibius

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Local time: 07:26 PM

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:09 PM

I would like having my eye closer to the viewfinder than wearing glasses let me do now, but I wonder how you manage the inconvenience of putting glasses on and off while shooting.

#6 marchyman

marchyman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:38 PM

Flip glasses up to forehead? Works for me when they get in the way.

#7 thepostman

thepostman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Local time: 04:26 AM

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:33 PM

two eyes

#8 delibius

delibius

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:40 AM

Flip glasses up to forehead? Works for me when they get in the way.

Of course you can flip glasses up to forehead, but I'm not sure I would find it more convenient than shooting trough glasses. What is the main advantage of shooting without glasses according to you?

#9 marchyman

marchyman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:25 AM

Of course you can flip glasses up to forehead, but I'm not sure I would find it more convenient than shooting trough glasses. What is the main advantage of shooting without glasses according to you?

This question confuses me. You were the one asking how to shoot without glasses. I quote: "I would like having my eye closer to the viewfinder than wearing glasses let me do now, but I wonder how you manage the inconvenience of putting glasses on and off while shooting." My answer -- flipping glasses up to forehead -- reduces that inconvenience.

With my normal progressive lens glasses I usually just shoot. Even with the glasses on my eye is close enough to the viewfinder to see everything I need to see. I need to flip glasses out of the way if I'm wearing my "reading" glasses that have a fixed focal distance of about 18 inches.

#10 delibius

delibius

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:09 PM

Sorry having confused you. I see that you, like me, prefer to shoot with glasses on.

I understand that people shooting without glasses gain a more intimate view trough the viewfinder, and probably camera stability. But for me this advantage is overcome by the great incovenience of removing the glasses each time I want to shoot.
This is so evident to me that I sincerely wonder how can people prefer shooting with diopters, to the point that I think I am missing something.

In no way I want to convince anybody that shooting with diopters is a bad thing, just wondering.

#11 Larry N. Bolch

Larry N. Bolch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • Local time: 12:26 PM
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta Canada

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

When the X-Pro1 arrived, I had fully planned on finding the eyepiece to match my vision. However, out of curiosity, I looked into it with my reading glasses and saw perfectly. The glasses cost more than $8.00 at the supermarket, so they must be pretty good. :rolleyes:

I realized that when shooting with the X100 and D700—both with adjustable eyepieces—I was constantly dragging the glasses up for shooting and down for checking results. With the X-Pro1, this was no longer necessary. Bright idea #2, adjust the X100 and D700 so I could use them as well with the reading glasses. Now I can easily move between cameras and between viewfinder and LCD.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users