• Create Account

Rebates Extended! New Rebate on 18-135mm

Black Friday/Cyber Monday Links!

Popflash - special instant rebate pricing on all new Fuji items, call Tony or Alex for details 805-492-6444 or 805-492-6548
Cameraland - call Jeff 212-753-5128 for pricing too low to advertise
Best Buy
Apple
B&H -- B&H Deal Zone
Amazon
Amazon UK
Adorama
Newegg

Clicking on these links helps offset the operational costs of the forum at no cost to you! Your support is much appreciated!

Welcome to Fuji X Forum!

Welcome to the Fuji X Forum, the largest online community of Fujifilm X camera users!

Creating a forum account is FREE!

The primary benefit to registering is so you can post in the community, and be notified when discussions are updated.

Other benefits include uploading photos, creating a photo gallery, getting answers to technical questions and assistance with trouble-shooting, communicate with other members via private messages, elgibility for contests, and more!

Registering is a simple process that requires minimal information. Become a part of the forum by signing in or creating an account. For your convenience you can sign in using Facebook, Twitter or Google.

We take pride in being the friendliest photo forum on the net.

Come on in join the fun!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

XPro1 in sub zero climate

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 AusPhotoHiker

AusPhotoHiker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • Local time: 01:50 PM
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:07 AM

Hi,

Just got back from a trip into the Central Plateau region of Tasmania, all 1200m+. We were camped and the nights all went sub zero [C] but probably not below -4C. (the water on the ground was frozen first thing in the morning)

The XPro1 was in my daypack and a couple of the nights it sat in the vestibule of my tent, so must have been close to ambient when I took it out to take dawn shots each day. On the days it was left in the vestibule, it took a couple of tries to get it to fire up - when flicking the switch to 'on' it would make a noise from the lens as it normally does on power up, but the VF would remain blank and the camera would not respond to any controls. Turning it off and then on again resulted in a normal usable camera.

After the first experience of this, I brought the camera inside the tent at night and it was fine the next morning. I left it in the vestibule one more night to see if the problem was temperature related, and it played up again the following morning.

Interested to hear if anyone else has seen this behaviour?

Cheers, Mike.

X-Pro1 X-T1 14 18 27 35 60 18-55 50-230

#2 M4cr0s

M4cr0s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Local time: 04:20 AM

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:40 AM

I've seen that behavior in room temperature too, especially when the battery is starting to run low which could be similar to a cold battery. Likely the battery isn't able to quite output the juice needed to boot the camera up so it hangs before it comes to turning the screen on, but it still manages to complete some of the steps in the booting process. Most likely the camera needs a little more power when booting than when running, so there you go. Since the first booting attempt have generated a little heat in the battery and got the internal chemistry working, it could be fine on the next attempt.

Mac

#3 artuk

artuk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Local time: 03:20 AM

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:29 AM

I know the general advice for cold weather is to keep the camera, and particularly the batteries, somewhere warm (like inside your coat) until needed.

I am sure you are aware of the issues of taking a camera from a cold to a warm environment, and vice versa.

#4 fearofhummingbird

fearofhummingbird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Local time: 08:20 PM

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:52 AM

Lithium battery chemistry is least impacted by cold weather relative to other commercially available formulations. That's why Li batteries are favored by mountaineers for their night lights.

#5 TropicalYankee

TropicalYankee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  • Local time: 10:20 PM

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:45 PM

I know the general advice for cold weather is to keep the camera, and particularly the batteries, somewhere warm (like inside your coat) until needed.

I am sure you are aware of the issues of taking a camera from a cold to a warm environment, and vice versa.

This advice is a misnomer. When you shoot in weather below freezing, once your camera is in the cold, you should keep it there. Bringing a camera that is cold into your parka will introduce moisture due to condensation when going from a cold dry environment to a warm moist one. When you bring the camera back out into the cold you risk the moisture freezing in the camera before it evaporates.

The best thing to do is to bring fully charged extra batteries. As said earlier Li-on batts are favored over other types in cold weather. While Fuji says 0°C, you're probably safe down to -8° to —10°C where you rick the LCD freezing. There may also be an issue with the viscosity of the lubricants in the lenses at these temps.

#6 kufel

kufel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationMississauga, ON, Canada

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:47 PM

Operating temperature low limit at 0 degrees Celsius is part of specs for every camera nowadays, including Canon 7D and 1 series cameras. I was able to shoot at -30 degrees Celsius without any problems using 1DmkII and 7D and LCD did not freeze. Main issue is batteries, have 2 or 3 with you in sub-zero conditions and keep switching them between the camera and the pocket close to your body

This advice is a misnomer. When you shoot in weather below freezing, once your camera is in the cold, you should keep it there. Bringing a camera that is cold into your parka will introduce moisture due to condensation when going from a cold dry environment to a warm moist one. When you bring the camera back out into the cold you risk the moisture freezing in the camera before it evaporates.

The best thing to do is to bring fully charged extra batteries. As said earlier Li-on batts are favored over other types in cold weather. While Fuji says 0°C, you're probably safe down to -8° to —10°C where you rick the LCD freezing. There may also be an issue with the viscosity of the lubricants in the lenses at these temps.

#7 esromorse

esromorse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Local time: 01:20 PM
  • LocationSunshine Coast, Australia

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:29 PM

I was wandering around in poland in the snow for a couple of hours last week taking pics and it was supposed to be -7. camera slowed a little, but no more than my hands and brain did! (i am from Brisbane, Australia though so have never been anywhere near that cold before haha)
Posted Image

#8 kufel

kufel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationMississauga, ON, Canada

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:40 PM

Once the over-advertised Canadian winter kicks in I will try to get some real sub-zero action frozen ( :) ) in the images

I was wandering around in poland in the snow for a couple of hours last week taking pics and it was supposed to be -7. camera slowed a little, but no more than my hands and brain did! (i am from Brisbane, Australia though so have never been anywhere near that cold before haha)
Posted Image

#9 AusPhotoHiker

AusPhotoHiker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:26 PM

Yes, fully aware of the issues with condensation, which is one of the reasons I generally keep the camera close to ambient when out hiking. Keeping the camera warm in a cold environment is asking for trouble IMO.

The temperature difference between the vestibule and the inside of my tent would only be a few degrees at most, so on colder trips even bringing the camera inside the tent may not solve the problem. I could put the whole camera inside my sleeping bag at night, but that approach is likely to bring other problems with condensation. I have used the sleeping bag trick to dry out a dead and water soaked camera with success though.

Next trip, I will keep the spare batteries with me in the sleeping bag and see how things go then.

Cheers, Mike.

#10 jknights

jknights

• Moderators
  • 5,867 posts
  • LocationOliva, Valencia, Spain

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:02 PM

I think the best option is to keep just the batteries in a warm place.

Lion batteries should operate happily in the -10C to 40C range but with reduced output if temperature is below 0C.In fact the Lion batteries tend to work down to -20C but this is the limit of their designed operational temperature.
Always Nikon and Fuji cameras.

Still learning after all these years!
Website http://www.jmknights.com

#11 cloose

cloose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Local time: 09:20 PM

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:04 PM

I have shot with my X-Pro1 at -24C with no issues. The coldest that I have ever shot with any camera was with a Canon 1DIII @ -35C; again with no issues. (It's been in a suitcase at -40C and colder temperatures, however was not used at this)

Long story short, don't be afraid to use the camera. As mentioned above, just be sure to bring several batteries!

The user will most likely succumb to cold before the camera will.

#12 jknights

jknights

• Moderators
  • 5,867 posts
  • LocationOliva, Valencia, Spain

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:04 PM

Mike try a trip to Snowy Mountains next winter up on Mt. Kosi it gets very cold!!
Always Nikon and Fuji cameras.

Still learning after all these years!
Website http://www.jmknights.com

#13 AusPhotoHiker

AusPhotoHiker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:22 PM

jknights, yes it does :)

I was in Falls Creek in July but the camera does not get as cold in the Ski Lodge as it does in the tent. :)

Tasmania being a lot further south (~42 degrees vs ~36 degrees) and subject to the roaring fourties, gets very cold, especially in the central plateau.

Definitely not as cold as -24C or -35C though! :)

Cheers, Mike.

#14 15k

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Local time: 06:20 AM
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:00 PM

I live in Moscow :D :D :D
-15C is not something unusual
Posted Image
Some advices for -10C (now it is warm November in Moscow: +5C - -5C not a problem for x-pro1 at all):
1. Take any camera case with you (you need it later). Camera must be under your coat not in the case! Take it out to make a picture, and then put it back under your coat (not a problem with x-pro1 at all, I remember DSLR with 70-200 2,8 under my coat - I was like a pregnant cow!).
2. You need extra battery!!! Main problem - in sub zero temp: battery loses charge very-very quickly! Extra battery you must carry in your SHIRT pocket (in warm place).
3. If some snow falls on your camera never try to blow it away, use your glove or cold cloth (from external pocket) because camera is cold and your warm breath can turn some snow to water, which immediately froze inside, you can't see it, but later it'll became in to water.
4. After all, when you return to the warm place, take a case and put camera in. it must became warmer slowly, or you recive a lot of condensate water in your camera.

P.s. I used a lot of cameras in winter (Nikons: d5000, d7000, d300s, d3s, Canon 5d2) best of the best for winter is Nikon d7000 an hour or two in -10C - -15C not incide a coat at all is possible!!! Don't know about d800 and d600 if they have same sort of battery - may be...
  • Arjay likes this

#15 AusPhotoHiker

AusPhotoHiker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:51 PM

Thanks for the info and advice 15k.

I'm beginning to think that really cold is probably better than just around freezing point, at least you don't have to deal with rain.

Cheers.

Cheers, Mike.

#16 15k

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:11 PM

So... It was -15C today  :ph34r:. 40 minutes outside my coat and x-pro1 till can to shoot! 

I confirm that x-pro1 can shoot in -15 more then 40 minutes. It is very good result!   :D

she02o.jpg

she06.jpg

#17 15k

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:09 PM

Record!!! :o  -17C and a half hours and not under a jacket! The battery has lost only 25% of the charge with the continuous shooting! I do not understand how you did it, but it's a fact! :o  :D  Spare battery in an inside pocket was not required.

tube0042.jpg

#18 timtodd

timtodd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Local time: 08:20 PM
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:14 AM

Wintertime is my main camping season, I just returned from a week in the Olympic Mountains in Washington. It isn't too cold here but it does get down to around 17°f (-8°c) at night. Haven't had any issues with neither my X-Pro1 nor X-E1 yet. I always take the battery out of the camera at night and keep them wrapped up in the stuff sack I use as a pillow. The camera is put in a stuff sack inside the tent. My entire pack weight for 4 days is around 18lbs (8.17kg) so I never have so much gear that it has to sit in a vestibule. 

Before I switched away from DSLR's, I had a couple lenses that would make noise when focusing in the cold. But that wasn't until a few years of harsh outdoor use and abused by nature so it was to be expected. I'm interested to see how well my Fujifilm gear will hold up. I spend at least 3 days out of every week in the wilderness regardless of the weather.

The only time both my cameras fail to turn on is in warm summer weather and only when I take a photo, accidentally turn the camera off and then try to turn it back on again. That seems to lock them up once in awhile.

"Have a purpose that will outlive you..."

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users