• Create Account

Current Fujifilm Rebates

Posting tip: click on 'Add to Post' when attaching an image. This way it will appear on the What's New page.

Welcome to Fuji X Forum!

Welcome to the Fuji X Forum, the largest online community of Fujifilm X camera users!

Creating a forum account is FREE!

The primary benefit to registering is so you can post in the community, and be notified when discussions are updated.

Other benefits include uploading photos, creating a photo gallery, getting answers to technical questions and assistance with trouble-shooting, communicate with other members via private messages, elgibility for contests, and more!

Registering is a simple process that requires minimal information. Become a part of the forum by signing in or creating an account. For your convenience you can sign in using Facebook, Twitter or Google.

We take pride in being the friendliest photo forum on the net.

Come on in join the fun!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Afl Button Focus Method

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 RichC

RichC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Local time: 12:29 PM

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:45 PM

Hi all.

I haven't used my 60mm much lately, in fact I don't think I have used it since the last firmware update!

So, I thought I would take it out and give it a good thrashing last Sunday as the weather and light was pretty good. I have always used AF by half pressing the shutter button, finding the process to be quite adequate with a good/acceptable success rate.

This didn't seem to be the case on Sunday. I always shoot several pictures of the same scene to make sure I get at least one useable picture. Previously, ie. pre firmware update, pretty well all of the shots would be keepers. I was somewhat disappointed to find that in some cases I was struggling to find 1 shot from a sequence that I could use.

With the 60mm I always use the EVF.

I have done a bit of fiddling around and "I think", I might be getting a slightly quicker, and more reliable focus lock by using the camera set to MF and focussing with the AFL button.

Am I kidding myself here, or is anyone else finding the same?

I intend to go out tomorrow and shoot a whole load more using the AFL button method to see what happens.

Rich.

• Topsy likes this

#2 RichC

RichC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:06 PM

mmmmm.........thought that might have resulted in some thoughts from the experts.

It's ok, I have answered my own question. I took the 60mm out again today and used the AFL button for all shots. Focus lock was quicker and virtually all shots were in focus.

Happy days!  :rolleyes:

#3 Topsy

Topsy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:21 PM

I have done a bit of fiddling around and "I think", I might be getting a slightly quicker, and more reliable focus lock by using the camera set to MF and focussing with the AFL button.

Am I kidding myself here, or is anyone else finding the same?

Hi RichC, I have just tried your suggested method and I think you are right, I hit focus more successfully in poor light or close up than in normal AF. Thanks for the tip.

#4 Al Downie

Al Downie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationCambridge UK

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:53 PM

I'm seeing exactly the same results every time - shoot one frame with autofocus, and one frame with manual/AFL, and the manual/AFL shot is noticeably sharper. This is great - I've been struggling with poor autofocus for the last few days, thinking that either I must have been expecting too much from my X-Pro1 & 35mm, or that there must be something wrong with my technique despite a month's worth of experience with the X100 and an awareness of the foibles of the X-system focussing. Finally I can clearly see that the system is capable of producing good results, but just not by the normal autofocus method. 

Thank you VERY much for this tip!

Al

#5 RichC

RichC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:29 PM

Thanks Guys. Glad I'm not the only one to find this.

I am certain I had read this, or something like it in another thread some time ago, but I couldn't find it, it might have been on another forum.

It seems strange to me as I was getting really good, and I mean, really good results by using the shutter release button to focus pre fw 2.01(?)

The 35mm still seems to give good results using the old method though. That said I think I will now just use the AFL button with all lenses.

Thanks again for your replies.

All the best.

Rich

#6 RichC

RichC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:32 PM

I'm seeing exactly the same results every time - shoot one frame with autofocus, and one frame with manual/AFL, and the manual/AFL shot is noticeably sharper. This is great - I've been struggling with poor autofocus for the last few days, thinking that either I must have been expecting too much from my X-Pro1 & 35mm, or that there must be something wrong with my technique despite a month's worth of experience with the X100 and an awareness of the foibles of the X-system focussing. Finally I can clearly see that the system is capable of producing good results, but just not by the normal autofocus method. 

Thank you VERY much for this tip!

Al

Al

I've come to realise that there is nothing normal about Fuji  :D

#7 Sapphie

Sapphie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • LocationDevon, UK

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:15 AM

The 2.01 FW update says it improves AF accuracy using the AFL button. Are you guys saying that they have effectively made 'normal' AF process worse, perhaps by introducing some newly introduced bug?

Lee

#8 Al Downie

Al Downie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationCambridge UK

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:43 AM

I can't answer that question I'm afraid, because v2.01 is all I've known. But it certainly seems to me that the 'normal' autofocus method is much less reliable than the manual/AF-L method, on my camera.

#9 RichC

RichC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:38 AM

The 2.01 FW update says it improves AF accuracy using the AFL button. Are you guys saying that they have effectively made 'normal' AF process worse, perhaps by introducing some newly introduced bug?

Lee

Hi Lee.

I can't really say for sure. My 35mm seems ok with the "normal" focus method, but the 60mm is definitely not the same. It was fine before fw 2.01.

Rich.

#10 Uniball

Uniball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Local time: 07:29 AM
  • LocationUSA & Switzerland

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:06 AM

This is day 3 of an X-E1 with 35/1.4 on 2.01.  Although I'm still new with the camera, I've had an X100 for a year.  Yesterday I was not impressed with the focus accuracy I was getting.  So went at it again today.

I just took 20 shots of an octopus in the kitchen (not close) and all the shutter button would do is hunt forever, never reach focus and flash up red boxes.  An octopus, with its gelatinous skin may be difficult but I could not achieve focus on anything within 3 feet of the lens.  Going to M and pressing the AF button worked every time, and quickly.

Also shot some shots in the garden at about 4 feet.  No question I'm getting better and faster focus in M.

Am I correct that the minimum focusing distance with the 35 is 28cm?  

Here's an update.  I had the focus square set to the smallest square.  Putting it back to the default square helps (that's one size up from minimum and the same size that's displayed in manual focus mode) somewhat but it still pales compared to using manual focus mode.  In a nutshell, I can lock focus after about 5 attempts in S.  I can lock focus just about every time in M.  M achieves more accurate focus.  

I just pulled out the X100.  A cakewalk in S.  Same shots (other than the octopus which is now in the pot), no problem at all achieving accurate focus and quicker than the X-E1/35.  Viewing off the lcd suggests I'm also getting better focus accuracy with the X100.

#11 jzzmusician

jzzmusician

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Local time: 04:29 AM

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:33 PM

I like using manual focus and the AF button as well but the lack of corrected focus boxes in manual mode puts me off when shooting close.  It works when using the electonic viewfinder but not OVF.

#12 jknights

jknights

• Moderators
  • 7,004 posts
  • Local time: 01:29 PM
  • LocationOliva, Valencia, Spain

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:45 AM

I prefer to use EVF with the 60mm and make sure that I can see everything I want in sharp focus.
With the 35 and 18mm lenses there are different issues.
I find the 18mm doesnt focus accurately where the focus point is on screen but that is easy to get round by shooting at f8-11 everything is in focus.
The 35mm behaves perfectly!

I will be very interested to see how life changes with the 18-55mm zoom.

Always Nikon and Fuji cameras.

Still learning after all these years!
Website http://www.jmknights.com

#13 John_N

John_N

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:47 AM

I must admit that using the AFL button (back button focus) method this weekend did improve the hit rate on both the 35 and 60mm, moreso when using the EVF. It's funny, I've used the back button focus method for years on Canon dSLRs, so its quite natural.
The only downside is the lack of visual confirmation (illuminated green box) and the need to rely upon an audible beep (I hate beeps)....now there's a another firmware update to consider.

#14 denissf

denissf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • Local time: 04:29 AM
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:04 AM

I've slowly been training myself to focus using this method and fine focusing with the focus ring if necessary.  As I spend a lot of my time with legacy lenses on my X Pro 1, I will have to reserve judgement as far as keepers with the 35, but the initial 'feel' of the exercise is that the camera is snappier and more accurate when doing things this way.

www.redcentphotography.com http://www.flickr.com/photos/wupjak/

#15 gambofoto

gambofoto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Local time: 01:29 PM

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:30 PM

A friend and myself have both been using the AF-L even before the last several updates with better success then with the cmaera in AF-S mode.  It also seems to me that my 35mm hunts more now in AF-S then it did before firmware 2.0.

Sorry I did not respond earlier, been off for a few days.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users