• Create Account

Welcome to Fuji X Forum!

Welcome to the Fuji X Forum, the world's largest online community of Fujifilm X camera users!

Creating a forum account is FREE! or CLICK HERE TO LOG IN

Registration enables you to post in the community, and be notified to replies.

Other benefits: sharing photos, creating a photo gallery, get answers to technical questions, assistance with trouble-shooting, elgibility for contests, and more!

Registering is easy and simple. Become a part of the forum by creating an account. You can also log in using Facebook, Twitter or Google.

We take pride in being the friendliest photo forum on the net.

Come on in join the fun!

Note: after registering if you don't see the validation email, check your spam folder.
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

X-E1 Firmware Update Wishlist

X-E1

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Rodchenko

Rodchenko
  • 93 posts
  • Local time: 01:40 AM
  • LocationSpain

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:34 AM

I'm having a blast with the X-E1, it really is the kind of camera I was waiting for. Then again, there are some things that I would like to see changed or updated. So I thought we could share in this thread what updates or changes we would like to see in future firmware releases for the camera. Remember, just things that you believe can actually be done via firmware. Who knows, maybe Fuji is listening...

I'll start:

• Proper exposure preview: now it only updates when you half-press the release and you can't change exposure like that. Why not just show in real time the exposure adjustments?
  • Focus confirmation when you use AutoFocus (AE-L / AF-L button) in Manual Focus mode. Why doesn't the box flash in green as in AutoFocus mode?
  • Here's a big one (for me at least): updated Auto-ISO. Let us select a minimum shutter speed and ideally set a selectable Shutter speed to focal length ratio.
  • The viewfinder has a much higher refresh rate when you keep the release button half-pressed. Give us that performance full-time!
  • The AF in AF-C performs much better in low light than in AF-S. I know that probably involves losing some precision but I'm willing to accept that (or give us the option to choose).
  • Flash compensation... I'd like to be able to go to 2 full stops.

Let's see your ideas!

#2 mccalltd

mccalltd
  • 14 posts
  • Local time: 05:40 PM

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:18 AM

I'll add and reinforce some:

• Setting auto ISO min shutter is a must!
  • Would like the FN button to be able to bring the AF point selection screen; and would like to spin the control wheel in the back to change focus point.
  • Allowing exposure shift after locking with the AE-L button; e.g.: I lock exposure, then turn the shutter or aperture rings and the camera adjusts the other param. Maybe this is tricky for Fuji engineers because of auto ISO.
  • If using auto ISO in manual mode (I set aperture and shutter), let the exposure compensation dial affect the ISO the camera selects.

Frankly, I think the camera is pretty good as is. It has its quirks, but it's just a camera after all. Learn to work with it and the problems go away.

The biggest improvement Fuji can make to the system is to use the new linear motor in all their new lenses and in a mark ii of their current lenses. Those noisy primes make the camera feel cheap, IMO. I have the 18-55 and the silent focusing not only leaves a nicer impression, but it makes me, the photographer, much less conspicuous around the house or in quiet spaces. 

#3 mrgooch

mrgooch
  • 236 posts
  • Local time: 07:40 PM
  • LocationToms River NJ

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:36 PM

Were overdue for an update.

#4 Arjay

Arjay

Admin

• Admin
  • 10,456 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:47 PM

All of this is very much dependent on Fuji's point of view. The camera has barely been available in larger numbers in all stores. I'm fairly sure that Fuji will at least wait until there really are enough cameras out with users before they'll start evaluating customer feedback.

Let's collect ideas, but not expect any FW update before the camera has been available on the market for at least three months.

#5 themarcside

themarcside
  • 25 posts
  • Local time: 12:40 AM

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:19 PM

I like the in-camera Raw conversion a lot but the process could easily (?) be streamlined:

• I would love to load my custom settings into the Raw converter instead of having to go through each menu item to adjust my image. 
  • I want to be able to apply my settings to a number of images at once (selecting them like in the Erase function).
  • After I have previewed a developed picture and press back, i want the menu selection to be at the parameter I last changed.
  • After I press OK to accept the developed picture it should be saved with a filename that puts it right after the original Raw image, not at the end, so I can move on on to the next picture.

Marc

#6 philg

philg
  • 51 posts
  • Local time: 11:40 AM
  • LocationBarwon Head,Australia.

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:11 AM

Focus peaking please,would make using my Konica AR lens a nicer experience.

#7 mccalltd

mccalltd
  • 14 posts
  • Local time: 05:40 PM

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:44 PM

• Would like the FN button to be able to bring the AF point selection screen; and would like to spin the control wheel in the back to change focus point.

So to amend this somewhat, what would be an amazingly useful feature would be:

• Have a nine point AF selection mode like in older Canon DSLRs, in addition to the big grid mode. 

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

• Use the FN button to bring up this nine point selection mode.
  • Use the control wheel to select from these points by spinning right to move clockwise around the outer points, spinning left to move counterclockwise, and pushing in to select the center point.

This would be an amazing enhancement, IMO. I could select the most useful point (for me) without taking my eye from the finder or my hands out of position, and I could do so in a fraction of a second. This could also work with the OVF in the X-Pro.

#8 Gary S.

Gary S.
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:34 AM

Nice feature: the electrical release through a 2.5mm jack, simply compatible with Canon and Pentax remotes.
Less nice: you can control focusing alone, but you can’t release the shutter without focusing again. Not always what you wish.

What is the point in having separate functions if you can't use them separately? That looks like a bug, which should be easily corrected in the next firmware release.

#9 Tony C.

Tony C.
  • 7 posts
  • Local time: 12:40 PM

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:49 AM

Fix the auto-focus so that it doesn't hunt to no avail when viewing the sky. 

#10 robk47

robk47
  • 26 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:22 PM

When in drive mode, I would like to not see the images I just shot flash through the EVF, but rather be able to start on my next shot immediately.

#11 Ratty Mouse

Ratty Mouse
  • Premium Member
  • 311 posts
  • Local time: 07:40 AM

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:52 PM

I like the in-camera Raw conversion a lot but the process could easily (?) be streamlined:

• I would love to load my custom settings into the Raw converter instead of having to go through each menu item to adjust my image. 
  • I want to be able to apply my settings to a number of images at once (selecting them like in the Erase function).
  • After I have previewed a developed picture and press back, i want the menu selection to be at the parameter I last changed.
  • After I press OK to accept the developed picture it should be saved with a filename that puts it right after the original Raw image, not at the end, so I can move on on to the next picture.

Marc

your last point above is absolutely mandatory to make the in-camera RAW converter even slightly useful. It is stunning that Fujifilm did not design this software as you suggest.  Processing many images in-camera as it currently is, is a terrible experience.  

The in-camera converter produces excellent results and I really love using it, but I shoot a lot of images and the pain from all that cycling through them makes me curse Fujifilm's name a LOT.  

I'll never believe Fuji is serious about their cameras when glaring errors such as this are allowed to exist for years (the X100 has this problem too).

#12 Digi1

Digi1
  • 13 posts
  • Local time: 09:40 AM

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:31 PM

I think that camera manufacturers, not only Fuji, are a bit cynical when releasing new models.  Their testing must surely show up at least some of the deficiencies listed here but they go ahead anyway and release the camera "prematurely".  It seems to me that they rely on the early buyers to be testers and discover the problems for which they then cobble together fixes and updates. The X-E1 seems to have a larger-than-reasonable number of issues in my own experience and in the views of others here.  It's a good camera but somewhat frustrating, and could have been great with a bit more work from Fuji. In fairness, the Fuji colour management is great, far better than the 4/3 Panasonics I have owned.

#13 mkovaliv

mkovaliv
  • 22 posts
  • LocationWindsor, ON

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:33 PM

I've only had my X-E1 a few weeks but would like to see a couple of changes in the firmware:

1 - I agree it would be very usefull to be able to activate the AF point selection with your right hand. Pressing the rear wheel would be my first choice as right now it does nothing in shooting mode and this would leave the function button free. With the 18-55 attached you have to remove your hand from zooming to select an AF point. Not a big deal with a prime but inconvenient with a zoom.

2 - When the playback display is set to "Detail Information", it would be more usefull if one press of the "Drive or Zoom In button" took you to 100% zoom instead of what it does now, 100% then jumps to 110% or so. I'd like to see the detailed view and then with one click see the actual framing full screen.

3 - Adding a "My Menu" like Canon has to assign your favorite six or seven menu items to one press of the "Menu" button. This would make it much easier to get to items like Multi Exposure and Flash Exposure Compensation for example.

4 - Allow you to set a Custom and Kelvin WB from the "Q" menu. Again, pressing the rear wheel could do this as it's currently not assigned.

These are small things that would be great additions to the user experience. Overall though I'm extremely happy with the X system, the images are rich and dynamic and the camera is a joy to carry and use. In fact it's with me all the time!

Edited by mkovaliv, 31 December 2012 - 05:35 PM.

#14 SausalitoDog

SausalitoDog
  • Premium Member
  • 515 posts
  • Local time: 04:40 PM
  • LocationSausalito, CA USA

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

Fix the *&^% camera raw only so it will convert properly with photoshop! 

It is totally inexcusable to allow this to go even this long without a fix - it's obviously a  lame mistake on Fuji's end and should be fixed immediately.

#15 AsylumPhoto

AsylumPhoto
  • Premium Member
  • 630 posts
  • Local time: 06:40 PM

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

My only two wants, other than the general "better this, or that"

- Auto ISO min shutter settings. Even if it's just a slider like on some Nikons

- WYSIWYG EVF, specifically during manual exposure

--- 

Re RAW, that won't be effected by firmware updates. Fuji needs to hand over their demosaicing calculations to Adobe, etc. Which, reportedly they have, but we have yet to see any results. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: X-E1