• Create Account

Welcome to Fuji X Forum!

Welcome to the Fuji X Forum, the largest online community of Fujifilm X camera users!

Creating a forum account is FREE!

The primary benefit to registering is so you can post in the community, and be notified when discussions are updated.

Other benefits include uploading photos, creating a photo gallery, getting answers to technical questions and assistance with trouble-shooting, communicate with other members via private messages, elgibility for contests, and more!

Registering is a simple process that requires minimal information. Become a part of the forum by signing in or creating an account. For your convenience you can sign in using Facebook, Twitter or Google.

We take pride in being the friendliest photo forum on the net.

Come on in join the fun!
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

X-E1 Firmware Update Wishlist

X-E1

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Rodchenko

Rodchenko

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Local time: 06:14 AM
  • LocationSpain

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:34 AM

I'm having a blast with the X-E1, it really is the kind of camera I was waiting for. Then again, there are some things that I would like to see changed or updated. So I thought we could share in this thread what updates or changes we would like to see in future firmware releases for the camera. Remember, just things that you believe can actually be done via firmware. Who knows, maybe Fuji is listening...

I'll start:

• Proper exposure preview: now it only updates when you half-press the release and you can't change exposure like that. Why not just show in real time the exposure adjustments?
  • Focus confirmation when you use AutoFocus (AE-L / AF-L button) in Manual Focus mode. Why doesn't the box flash in green as in AutoFocus mode?
  • Here's a big one (for me at least): updated Auto-ISO. Let us select a minimum shutter speed and ideally set a selectable Shutter speed to focal length ratio.
  • The viewfinder has a much higher refresh rate when you keep the release button half-pressed. Give us that performance full-time!
  • The AF in AF-C performs much better in low light than in AF-S. I know that probably involves losing some precision but I'm willing to accept that (or give us the option to choose).
  • Flash compensation... I'd like to be able to go to 2 full stops.

Let's see your ideas!

• WESTMILL likes this

#2 mccalltd

mccalltd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Local time: 10:14 PM

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:18 AM

I'll add and reinforce some:

• Setting auto ISO min shutter is a must!
  • Would like the FN button to be able to bring the AF point selection screen; and would like to spin the control wheel in the back to change focus point.
  • Allowing exposure shift after locking with the AE-L button; e.g.: I lock exposure, then turn the shutter or aperture rings and the camera adjusts the other param. Maybe this is tricky for Fuji engineers because of auto ISO.
  • If using auto ISO in manual mode (I set aperture and shutter), let the exposure compensation dial affect the ISO the camera selects.

Frankly, I think the camera is pretty good as is. It has its quirks, but it's just a camera after all. Learn to work with it and the problems go away.

The biggest improvement Fuji can make to the system is to use the new linear motor in all their new lenses and in a mark ii of their current lenses. Those noisy primes make the camera feel cheap, IMO. I have the 18-55 and the silent focusing not only leaves a nicer impression, but it makes me, the photographer, much less conspicuous around the house or in quiet spaces. 

#3 mrgooch

mrgooch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Local time: 12:14 AM
  • LocationToms River NJ

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:36 PM

Were overdue for an update.

#4 Arjay

Arjay

Admin

• Administrators
  • 8,168 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 12 December 2012 - 02:47 PM

All of this is very much dependent on Fuji's point of view. The camera has barely been available in larger numbers in all stores. I'm fairly sure that Fuji will at least wait until there really are enough cameras out with users before they'll start evaluating customer feedback.

Let's collect ideas, but not expect any FW update before the camera has been available on the market for at least three months.

#5 themarcside

themarcside

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Local time: 05:14 AM

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:19 PM

I like the in-camera Raw conversion a lot but the process could easily (?) be streamlined:

• I would love to load my custom settings into the Raw converter instead of having to go through each menu item to adjust my image. 
  • I want to be able to apply my settings to a number of images at once (selecting them like in the Erase function).
  • After I have previewed a developed picture and press back, i want the menu selection to be at the parameter I last changed.
  • After I press OK to accept the developed picture it should be saved with a filename that puts it right after the original Raw image, not at the end, so I can move on on to the next picture.

Marc

• earthpulse and stando like this

You don't agree with the post above? Click here.

#6 philg

philg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Local time: 03:14 PM
  • LocationBarwon Head,Australia.

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:11 AM

Focus peaking please,would make using my Konica AR lens a nicer experience.

• zephyr2013 likes this

#7 mccalltd

mccalltd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Local time: 10:14 PM

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:44 PM

• Would like the FN button to be able to bring the AF point selection screen; and would like to spin the control wheel in the back to change focus point.

So to amend this somewhat, what would be an amazingly useful feature would be:

• Have a nine point AF selection mode like in older Canon DSLRs, in addition to the big grid mode. 

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

• Use the FN button to bring up this nine point selection mode.
  • Use the control wheel to select from these points by spinning right to move clockwise around the outer points, spinning left to move counterclockwise, and pushing in to select the center point.

This would be an amazing enhancement, IMO. I could select the most useful point (for me) without taking my eye from the finder or my hands out of position, and I could do so in a fraction of a second. This could also work with the OVF in the X-Pro.

• earthpulse likes this

#8 Gary S.

Gary S.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:34 AM

Nice feature: the electrical release through a 2.5mm jack, simply compatible with Canon and Pentax remotes.
Less nice: you can control focusing alone, but you can’t release the shutter without focusing again. Not always what you wish.

What is the point in having separate functions if you can't use them separately? That looks like a bug, which should be easily corrected in the next firmware release.

#9 Tony C.

Tony C.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Local time: 06:14 PM

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:49 AM

Fix the auto-focus so that it doesn't hunt to no avail when viewing the sky. 

#10 robk47

robk47

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Local time: 11:14 PM
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:22 PM

When in drive mode, I would like to not see the images I just shot flash through the EVF, but rather be able to start on my next shot immediately.

#11 Ratty Mouse

Ratty Mouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Local time: 12:14 PM

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:52 PM

I like the in-camera Raw conversion a lot but the process could easily (?) be streamlined:

• I would love to load my custom settings into the Raw converter instead of having to go through each menu item to adjust my image. 
  • I want to be able to apply my settings to a number of images at once (selecting them like in the Erase function).
  • After I have previewed a developed picture and press back, i want the menu selection to be at the parameter I last changed.
  • After I press OK to accept the developed picture it should be saved with a filename that puts it right after the original Raw image, not at the end, so I can move on on to the next picture.

Marc

your last point above is absolutely mandatory to make the in-camera RAW converter even slightly useful. It is stunning that Fujifilm did not design this software as you suggest.  Processing many images in-camera as it currently is, is a terrible experience.  

The in-camera converter produces excellent results and I really love using it, but I shoot a lot of images and the pain from all that cycling through them makes me curse Fujifilm's name a LOT.  

I'll never believe Fuji is serious about their cameras when glaring errors such as this are allowed to exist for years (the X100 has this problem too).

• earthpulse likes this
Fujifilm cameras currently owned: F10, F20, F70EXR, X10, XF1, X100, S5 Pro (with Nikkor 24mm f/1.4), GA645, and Instax 7S.

#12 Digi1

Digi1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Local time: 02:14 PM

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:31 PM

I think that camera manufacturers, not only Fuji, are a bit cynical when releasing new models.  Their testing must surely show up at least some of the deficiencies listed here but they go ahead anyway and release the camera "prematurely".  It seems to me that they rely on the early buyers to be testers and discover the problems for which they then cobble together fixes and updates. The X-E1 seems to have a larger-than-reasonable number of issues in my own experience and in the views of others here.  It's a good camera but somewhat frustrating, and could have been great with a bit more work from Fuji. In fairness, the Fuji colour management is great, far better than the 4/3 Panasonics I have owned.

#13 mkovaliv

mkovaliv

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationWindsor, ON

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:33 PM

I've only had my X-E1 a few weeks but would like to see a couple of changes in the firmware:

1 - I agree it would be very usefull to be able to activate the AF point selection with your right hand. Pressing the rear wheel would be my first choice as right now it does nothing in shooting mode and this would leave the function button free. With the 18-55 attached you have to remove your hand from zooming to select an AF point. Not a big deal with a prime but inconvenient with a zoom.

2 - When the playback display is set to "Detail Information", it would be more usefull if one press of the "Drive or Zoom In button" took you to 100% zoom instead of what it does now, 100% then jumps to 110% or so. I'd like to see the detailed view and then with one click see the actual framing full screen.

3 - Adding a "My Menu" like Canon has to assign your favorite six or seven menu items to one press of the "Menu" button. This would make it much easier to get to items like Multi Exposure and Flash Exposure Compensation for example.

4 - Allow you to set a Custom and Kelvin WB from the "Q" menu. Again, pressing the rear wheel could do this as it's currently not assigned.

These are small things that would be great additions to the user experience. Overall though I'm extremely happy with the X system, the images are rich and dynamic and the camera is a joy to carry and use. In fact it's with me all the time!

Edited by mkovaliv, 31 December 2012 - 05:35 PM.

#14 SausalitoDog

SausalitoDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Local time: 09:14 PM
  • LocationSausalito, CA USA

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

Fix the *&^% camera raw only so it will convert properly with photoshop! 

It is totally inexcusable to allow this to go even this long without a fix - it's obviously a  lame mistake on Fuji's end and should be fixed immediately.

Tom O'Connell

-- If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between a dog and a man. - Mark Twain

#15 AsylumPhoto

AsylumPhoto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

My only two wants, other than the general "better this, or that"

- Auto ISO min shutter settings. Even if it's just a slider like on some Nikons

- WYSIWYG EVF, specifically during manual exposure

--- 

Re RAW, that won't be effected by firmware updates. Fuji needs to hand over their demosaicing calculations to Adobe, etc. Which, reportedly they have, but we have yet to see any results. 

#16 Kit_L

Kit_L

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:10 AM

I did not realise that this thread already existed, so perhaps the moderator cold delete my new post from today on this subject. I will repost it here:

Love the camera. Three items will benefit from urgent revision, IMHO:

1. capacity to set in-camera flash output to -2.0EV, in 1/3EV increments, as most other cameras can (the E-E1 is limited to a minimum of -2/3 EV, which is still too much for even harsh sunlight, if a natural look is desired. I usually use -1.3EV as fill on other camera, and (IIRC) the X-100's fill works perfectly on AUTO; I do not recall if the fill flash ratio can be set.

2. The self timer controls need to be added to the Drive menu (presently it lives on the first page of the Camera menu and the bottom left of the Quick button's options). No problem with that, but button selected options appeal to me.

3. Small JPEG plus RAW as an additional option in Image Size.

Apart form that, all good.

• earthpulse likes this
Kit

My work site here

Images (snaps and commercial work)

#17 bigal1000

bigal1000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts
  • LocationU.S.A

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:46 AM

What is WYSIWYG EVF

#18 Dean Messenger

Dean Messenger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationSurry/Kent Border, UK

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:52 AM

agree about the rear wheel, far to underused in shooting mode. option to select by click. ISO, bracketing, etc then scroll left or right to change the chosen parameter, its in ideal spot for the thumb and poorly used. also dof preview on this would be better option on this, image preview on the LCD would be nice too, through the evf to small to really se eand having to switch to play mode isnt really great.

and ISO down to at least 100 in RAW please both manual and auto option.

#19 aweidenhammer

aweidenhammer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:51 AM

My biggest request would be expanded bracketing options, to include shutter speed bracketing with 5 or 7 exposures at +-2EV per step.  I'm into hdr panos, and would love to have the option to use this camera for my work, but as it stands, I am forced back to my older canon dslr for this one thing.  My dslr is hooked into my android tablet to have a fully automated set of exposures.  Unfortunately, the ole eos is nowhere close to as sharp as my X-E1.

Other than that, having a min shutter speed in Auto would be my 2nd place.

Andrew

#20 Dean Messenger

Dean Messenger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationSurry/Kent Border, UK

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:29 AM

It is totally inexcusable to allow this to go even this long without a fix - it's obviously a  lame mistake on Fuji's end and should be fixed immediately.

seems your blaming fuji for what is clearly adobes problem. The Xtrans Sensor is fantastic and produces amazing image quality but as DSLR's have used the Bayer sensor format since day 1 , the new Trans-X sensor is going to require a total rewrite from the likes of adobe to ensure true RAF compatibility. hardly fuji's fault for releasing a sensor of this innovative quality and Adobe have been aware and had the sensors shematics for a couple of years now but have been loathe to spend 100's of man hours of programming on a sensor format that could just as easily within 6 months sunk into obscurity.

seems you have no grasp of the issues regarding the Xtrans Sensor and software coding

forgot to add, built in intervalometer would be awesome!

#21 legolize_it

legolize_it

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

What is WYSIWYG EVF

What you see is what you get

Basically: a real-time preview

#22 Jkorn

Jkorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

Most of these have been listed, I'm just adding my +1:

1. Add AF point selection to Fn button menu (if I could just have this, I'd be thrilled)

2. Minimum Shutter Speed setting for Auto ISO

3. WYSIWYG EVF

And, has anyone mentioned this one?

4. In manual focus, turning the focus ring automatically triggers x3/x10 preview.

• earthpulse likes this

#23 MikeS

MikeS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationSomewhere warm.

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:16 PM

This issue is deeply rooted in the Adobe end of things. The "problem" is a maths problem for the most part and the fact that Adobe's imbedded demosaicking software is (way) "behind the curve". It is very difficult for Adobe - they cannot improve what they have and it is a major task to rewrite with new maths to overcome this basic problem. It has been mentioned several places on this site.

You might read here: 

for a long, but informative discussion.

also, 

Post #62.

#24 Marty

Marty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Local time: 11:14 AM

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

My only two wants, other than the general "better this, or that"

- Auto ISO min shutter settings. Even if it's just a slider like on some Nikons

- WYSIWYG EVF, specifically during manual exposure

Yep I agree 100% These are the two most important things that would have a positive impact on the photography aspect of owning this camera. I may be corrected but I'm 99% sure that my old X100 had minimum shutter-speed selectable in the set-up of Auto-ISO... can anyone confirm that?

As for WYSIWYG in manual mode, the absence of this is a real disappointment. OK, I agree that it might not always be what you want, depending on shooting conditions but why not have it selectable as on or off in a setup menu, or even activated upon first pressure on the release button? It's such a pity it's not there! Even my 2008 Leica D-Lux 4 (same as Lumix LX3) P&S has this feature and it's soooooo useful!

• earthpulse likes this

#25 decineper

decineper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:25 PM

The 5 minute auto power off option isn't long enough for my Eye-Fi SD card to transfer a bunch of RAFs over a decent ~30 Mbps wifi LAN. It would be great to have an additional long 20 minute auto power off setting. I keep turning off auto power down and burning through a battery charge.
  • earthpulse likes this
X-E1, 35mm/ƒ1.4, 18–55mm, flickr

#26 Gary S.

Gary S.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:14 AM

I may be corrected but I'm 99% sure that my old X100 had minimum shutter-speed selectable in the set-up of Auto-ISO... can anyone confirm that?

Nothing to correct. You're 100% right.

#27 MikeS

MikeS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationSomewhere warm.

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:44 PM

Two requests that go hand in hand, They apply to both the X-E1 and X-Pro1. There was much discussion in a thread started by Arjay: 

on exposure compensation. The lack of a wide fill flash compensation range is a corollary subject.  

1)  Offer +/- 4 or 5 stops compensation. I would suggest a dual range menu selection for this, so the the normal +/- 2 stops dial remains as is, but that it can be set from the rear screen and dial to a 2x wider range, or perhaps as just a menu selection, where the dial does +/-2 and the menu does +/- 5. Can't say which would be best, the safe menu setting way or the easier expanded dial method. In any even, from experience I would want the existing +/-2 knob to remain as it is for most all other shooting conditions.

2) Flash compensation needs to be wider as well. +/- 2 stops by thirds seems enough from my experience. This way we have control over the fill flash when it needs to be very subtle. Now of course, "The Committee" at Fuji set the range to +/-1 (too narrow!) so you would purchase one of their flash units! This is my only true aggravating discovery about the camera so far. Fill flash is to control contrast ratios - it needs a wider adjustment range. Hopefully there is not some dingo capacitor circuit that prevents having such a wide range via a firmware tweak.

3) DO NOT abandon the Q-menu setup in favour of a touch screen setup. That will slow the camera down and here is why: We have the up/down and L/R arrow routine mastered plus how many clicks with the wheel. This we can do by touch already, AND we do not have to take our eye off the eyepiece, because we already have visual conformation in the EVF.  When taking candid shots, lack of extra motion by the photographer is key. If I have to take the camera away from my face and put it up again, that motion attracts the peripheral vision sensors of the other humans nearby. Perhaps just what is not wanted for that moment. Better to point the camera away, quickly make the adjustment in mind, focus for distance, turn and fire. Much quicker, as needs be.

#28 Kit_L

Kit_L

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:26 AM

@ MikeS: agree 110% (as we say here) re. not going touch screen. The Q menu gets daily use from me, and works fine as is.

I posted on the narrow flash comp. options too; -2/3rds EV maximum is plain silly. Otherwise, great camera as is; some of the suggest FW updates would be icing on the cake.

Kit

My work site here

Images (snaps and commercial work)

#29 nixda

nixda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:35 AM

I support everything anyone else wishes. Even if I won't use the requested feature. But since others might find it useful, I will support them. It could be that I will find these features useful eventually too.

Having said that, I support any of the feature requests, as long as I am not forced to use those features. I would like to have the option to use them or not.

Case in point: WYSIWYG EVF (LCD/EVF priority). Great to have that, but only under certain circumstances. I would like to have the option of toggling between WYSIWYG EVF and brightness-adjusted EVF.

Also, it's good to discuss feature requests here, but ultimately, the list needs to be sent to Fuji, and it should be stressed that the thousands and thousands of X-E1/X-Pro1 users participating in this forum are behind it  :)

Here are some additions to what others have written (forgive me if some of it was already mentioned):

Q-menu

Needs to be expanded to include other parameters, and it should be user selectable what shows up in the menu

Custom settings

Expand to include other parameters. Currently, it's mostly about RAW development aspects, not so much about shooting aspects

AE-L/AF-L behavior

When engaging AF-L, everything else should still be adjustable (aperture, shutter speed, EC)

Intervalometer

Shutter speed

Allow setting precise values beyond 30 sec.

EVF/LCD

Introduce fourth display mode: LCD off + EVF with eye sensor

DoF/distance scale

Allow user to set circle of confusion value for DoF calculations; also show numerical values for the limits; most importantly: fix that feature so that it works correctly

Histogram

Live-view histogram in all shooting modes with RGB+L channels; ideally also RAW histogram, so that it's visible when the sensor has been overloaded (as opposed to the bit-reduced JPG image); after having taken a shot, the image, its histogram and blinkies should be immediately displayed, and a push of the ">" button should freeze that state for further review.

Hyperfocal Distance
Menu item to set focus to the HFD depending on chosen aperture

#30 ergoforce

ergoforce

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:52 AM

1. Min shutter speed with auto ISO

2. Selecting AF point with right thumb.

Both highly desirable but wake me up when Fujifilm implement them in X-E1 or X-Pro1.

You already get all that in coming X100S so why would they bother? Fujifilm has not implemented nr. 2 for X100 and neither nr. 1 nor nr. 2 for X-Pro1.

X100 has been around for 2 years and going out of production, X-Pro1 roughly 1 year.

You won't see them in X-E1 firmware unless they are also are introduced in X-Pro1, which Fujifilm has not for a year. That is to say, we'll never see them included.

I have stopped hoping for these feature(s) for X100 and X-Pro1.

Edited by ergoforce, 03 February 2013 - 08:21 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: X-E1

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users