This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

27mm and manual shooting

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Alderney, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Alderney

Alderney Member

-Return to Top-

I have a question that concerns the command dial on my X-E1.
    In manual mode (M), I can press the command dial to access focus peaking. By rotating the dial, I can access two levels of view.
    I am thinking of buying the 27mm f2.8, which has no aperture ring.
    Aperture is set by rotating the command dial.
    Here's the question: When using the 27mm in manual mode (M), does the command dial still control focus peaking and also control the aperture setting? Or does it default to one or the other? If it's the former, how do I adjust aperture?
    Rico Pfirstinger doesn't address the question in his book.
    Since the AF on the 27mm is so loud, in certain situations, it would be nice to be able to focus silently in manual mode (M) with the focus peaking feature.
    Many thanks for your help.

2. Brad Sarno

Brad Sarno Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I just tested this. It behaves normally, you'll be happy. When in manual focus mode with the XF 27mm lens, you can turn the command dial to set aperture, but as soon as you press the dial it zooms in to help magnify your focus area and see the peaking even better. When in that zoomed-in mode, turning the dial toggles between the two different zoom levels. Then you can press the dial again and it pops back out to normal view and the dial controls aperture again.

lawsofphysics likes this.
  3. Alderney

Alderney Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks Brad. That's fantastic!

4. Blazer

Blazer Fuji Commander

-Return to Top-

...and you're gonna love the 27!

5. Primes4ever

Primes4ever Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Yes you will love it. I do not in any way find it loud to autofocus either.

6. Alderney

Alderney Member

-Return to Top-

Thank you Primes4ever. My 27mm arrived and I've had it out for a couple of days now. You're right. It's not so loud. Which makes me wonder about the online comments and the YouTube videos. Clearly there are some examples of this lens that are noisier than others. Mine has been a pleasant surprise.

7. Primes4ever

Primes4ever Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Make sure you get some great pictures with it. I use mine hiking all the time keeping my weight to a minimum. You certainly have lots of places to use it ( I was born in the Annapolis Valley).