This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Advanced Yellow filter artifact

Discussion in 'About the Fuji X Forum' started by dselby, Mar 19, 2017.

1. dselby

dselby New Member

-Return to Top-

Hi All - I took this photo with Fujifilm XT-2 using the Advanced Filter: Yellow at a glass blowing factory. The worker had normal color skin but on this filter it looks like he has ash on his hands. Has anyone experienced this or can explain what this is? Thanks.

unnamed.jpg

2. beakhammer

beakhammer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The torch being used to flash the hot glass on the punty throws a very strong light in an unusual set of wavelengths (colors). Your digital yellow filter removes colors not in the yellow range: because the torch threw very strong light that was outside this yellow range the resulting image has the apearance you see. Stop using the yellow filter. Even with RAW files you may have to do some color-correcting when you shoot subjects in these peculiar and intense lighting conditions. I do a lot of shooting around torches, forges, and welders.

There may be other factors at work as well. I never use these "advanced" filters myself. The advanced filters only allow Jpg output, so you are stuck with the white balance as-shot.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017