This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

BAH! Rant/Testimonial. But Fuji is solid.

Discussion in 'General X Camera Forum' started by mugmedia, Apr 20, 2017.

1. mugmedia

mugmedia Premium Member

-Return to Top-

A few days ago when I was out driving in search of ghost signs (pix in a different thread), I had both my black X-E2 cameras at the ready on the passenger seat. Many Madison drivers are not exactly courteous. I was in the left lane on a two-lane one way street because I noticed the right lane was closed ahead for repair. In spite of the advance MERGE LEFT sign (with flashing arrows too), at the last second the impatient and downright prickish driver to my right gunned it to get in front of me, forcing me to tromp the brakes hard (yes, there was screeching of tires). Both cameras literally launched off the seat and landed on the floor, hard… seriously, they both took a pretty good hit. And they didn’t land on soft carpet either… I have those hard plastic WeatherTech floor mats. After some loud and quite “colorful” language, I stopped for a very close inspection of the cameras and lenses/mounts. One body was fitted with the XF100-400, so I was especially worried about that, and the other body had the XF55-200, another favorite lens. Well, I couldn’t find even a scratch or nick anywhere on either body or lens (both lenses had hoods on them, which stayed in place). Subsequently, I stopped for photos with both cameras, and looking at the images very closely on the computer, I find nothing wrong. While I hate that this happened, in the end, I must say I am thankful for Fuji build quality!

bcirwin likes this.
  2. runswithsizzers

runswithsizzers Active Member

-Return to Top-

That's encouraging to know!

Just got my X-E2, and it feels kind of light compared to my Pentax - which is a good thing, and which is the very reason I bought the Fuji. Still, in the back of my mind I was wondering if maybe the X-E2 is too light - as in fragile. Thanks for testing your X-E2, so I don't have to test mine! [Dang English language - how do I write the plural of X-E2 without turning it into a single X-E2s?]

Now let's figure out how to get those babies behind seat belts.

3. Primes4ever

Primes4ever Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

When out by myself, I put them on the floor on the passenger side. That way, they have nowhere to fall.

4. Goldingd

Goldingd Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Neck straps onto seat back.

5. YogiMik

YogiMik Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Nah, keeping'em on the seat is too risky. I never do that.

6. mugmedia

mugmedia Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Primes4ever, Goldingd, YogiMik, and all those of you who are thinking, “Fool, you should’ve employed some protective measures.” ;) Most of the time I am more careful, usually keeping the camera(s) in my padded day-pack on the passenger seat, held in place with a strap through the carrying loop and around the headrest. Downtown, especially to shoot things that require a certain angle, I often stop in private lots, no-parking zones, etc. in order to get the shot quick and get out of there ASAP. For putting stuff on the floor, the trouble with WeatherTech floor liners is that they are rather slippery (being waterproof plastic), so things on the floor tend to slide all over, bang against the door, etc. In my truck, I dare say more scuffs and nicks would probably happen that way than some other method. And well, if that other car hadn’t cut me off the way it did, everything would’ve been fine! :D

YogiMik likes this.
  7. Lumens

Lumens Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

What he said! :) I have a little compartment between the seats that they sit in - keeps them from flying. Cameras were not meant to fly!

YogiMik likes this.
  8. mugmedia

mugmedia Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Addressed in previous post, but of course that doesn't justify my behavior. ;) My X-E1/2 (with the 55-200 or 50-230, plus lens hood) fit in that console compartment and I do use it, but longer lenses like the 100-400 w/hood... no way.

9. YogiMik

YogiMik Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Happens, sometimes we are off guard for no apparent reason, and shit happens, and sometimes we get away with it