This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Dark EVF on my x100f

Discussion in 'X100F, X100T, X100S, X100, and X70' started by ian66, Mar 19, 2017.

1. ian66

ian66 Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

This morning my Fuji EVF has become quiet dark and contrasty, almost unusable inside and I notice a distinct switch (like a shutter sound) everytime I move from the lcd finder to the eye sensor and back again, never heard this on my 100T or xt1 - tried a reset but no difference. If I hold my eye away from the viewfinder so I can see the lcd and evf it is quite bright, but as soon as I get close it is like a blind comes over the evf and it darkens. Just noted that a blind does come up and covers the evf window? Any ideas what I have done?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  2. visorvet

visorvet Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The EVF screen normally moves into place when you lift the camera to your eye, doesn't it? I am still waiting for my F but this was the case for the S, T, and X-Pro2 I owned previously. The X-Pro2 in particular was quite loud when the EVF screen snicked into place. Is it possible that you have your exposure settings or EC dialed way down and it is simply previewing that low exposure? If you take a photo using the EVF this way what does it look like?

3. ian66

ian66 Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Yes, it does the same on my 100T just a lot quieter - and my EC was dialed down seemed to show up more in the EVF than the LCD - thanks for the suggestions.

4. Hammam

Hammam Active Member

-Return to Top-

Funny, I've had a similar problem occur just today. I was taking a shot outside the window, to this vast horizon over the house tops, on a very bright sunny day, with a lot of snow, and the EVF turned dark. No matter what f stop I dialed, it remained dark. And as soon as I turned around to shoot inside the living room, it got back to normal. The LCD behaved normally. My settings were Auto ISO 3200 (min. 200, min. speed 1/125th), aperture priority, central weighted exposure. And it did that in any of the two viewfinder view modes. Any idea what can cause this? It never happened before. Thanks.

5. Hammam

Hammam Active Member

-Return to Top-

In my case, I think it has something to do with Exp. Comp. dialed down. Stupid.

6. SpudX

SpudX Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Adjust your viewfinder brightness setting. If you have Auto set, it will darken automatically for bright scenes. I have mine set to 1.

7. Stephen Scharf

Stephen Scharf Premium Member

-Return to Top-

If you put the camera into spot-metering mode inadvertently, a lot of the time EVF will appear quite dark.

8. Beaumont

Beaumont Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Where is the Auto set located?

9. SpudX

SpudX Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Under Screen Setting

[EVF BRIGHTNESS]
    Adjust the brightness of the display in the electronic viewfinder. Select [MANUAL] to choose from 11 options from +5 (bright) to −5 (dark), or select [AUTO] for automatic brightness adjustment.

Hope this helps.

ian66 likes this.
  10. Beaumont

Beaumont Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks for getting back.
    Cheers