This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Fuji 100-400 or wait for Fuji 200 2.0 ?

Discussion in 'Fuji X-Mount Lens Forum' started by Bud Weiser, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Bud Weiser

Bud Weiser Member

-Return to Top-

I'm contemplating whether or not to wait for the as yet to be released Fuji 200mm F2.0 in 2018 sometime or go with the 100-400. My question is since the 100-400 has OIS, shooting indoors should be fine at 4.5 and a minimum shutter speed of say 60? My guess is the 200mm will Not have OIS so even though it's a fast lens, you're still going to have to bump the shutter speed up there which would negate any advantage it had over the 100-400 anyway. Or maybe I'm not thinking correctly here?

I've owned a Pentax fast 200mm F2.8 so I know what it's limitations are. I would normally shoot at least 4.0 indoors with shutter speed of 200 and ISO 2500, but my Pentax body has image stabilization. Fuji does not.

Since I want this lens to be used not only for occasional, again "occasional" indoor shots and the remainder fast sporting events outdoors that maybe the 100-400 might be the way to go. Yea I know the size will be gargantuan compared to the 200mm but I'm willing to sacrifice that.

My current set up is the Fuji X-T1 along with the 14mm, 27mm, and 90mm prime lenses.

2. MikeHuff

MikeHuff Member

-Return to Top-

I really think it would be nearly impossible for anyone to really say. You know your shooting style better than anyone else. But I will say these will be two completely different animals. You'll have half the reach of the 100-400 and obviously the lack of flexibility for focal length. If you are shooting sporting events, longer (imho) is always better. at the long end 5.6 or 8 with a tele is generally fine, but you won't have the softer backgrounds the 200 would surely provide.

*edit: I just looked at the Fuji roadmap. Get the big zoom. You have a LONG time to wait for that 200.

3. bobbyzfx

bobbyzfx Premium Member

-Return to Top-

What you trying to shoot indoors? To me f5.6 is too darn slow for indoors. I would take minimum of f2.8. Ideally f2 or faster.

4. adnan w

adnan w Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Indoor subjects that require a 200mm on an aps sensor (300mm equiv) ?
    Sports, Theatre/Performance art, events/parties wedding come to mind.
    All benefit more with a higher shutter speed vs OIS.
    Subject motion has taken away more keepers from me than camera motion.
    What sort of subjects will you be covering indoors with such lens reach ?

5. Bud Weiser

Bud Weiser Member

-Return to Top-

Just a few school events for nieces and nephews. Nothing serious.

6. Tilphot

Tilphot Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Consider the XF 50-140 with the 1.4 Teleconverter. That way you'll be more flexible and cover 50-140 cm at f/2.8, and if you really need the reach, you can still go to almost 200 at f/4. The OIS is excellent, I've been able to produce images with absolutely no motion blur (of static objects) at 1/5 s on the long end. It's magic!
    Check out the Flickr group for this lens - there's particularly one member, Gilles Baribeau (also a member of this forum), who covers all kinds of sports events with stunning results!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    fugu82 and Gaston like this.
  7. bobbyzfx

bobbyzfx Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Plain 50-140mm f2.8 IMHO, nothing else. Or even 90mm f2. Remember aperture first for indoor events and sports. Range first is when shooting things like birds, cars on track etc.

8. Iansky

Iansky Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Lens choice should depend on intended subjects and available money - I am very surprised you are considering the 100-400 for indoor shots ( it is a fairly large and heavy lens) so not the choice of many for indoor use, it is a perfect lens for sport / wildlife type photos where it excels.
    I agree with others that for versatility, you may want to consider the superb 50-140 with the 1.4 convertor so you have a lens that performs well for both indoor / outdoor use - it is a also a little cheaper than the 100-400 and considerably smaller and will internal zooming makes hand holding a lot easier.

fugu82 likes this.
  9. bobbyzfx

bobbyzfx Premium Member

-Return to Top-

To me it is wrong choice due to aperture more than size/weight. If one needs to shoot from back due to not being able to get close, one needs long focal length and due to indoors, it is going to be big and heavy. 70-200mm f2.8 without any extenders is bread and butter lens. Speciality lenses are 200mm f1.8 or the 200mm f2, even 300mm f2.8 for things like gymnastics.

To me 100-400 is slower for outdoor sports also due to f5.6. I would use it if I had to as there is no other choice with Fuji. I don't have this lens but do have 400mm f5.6 for canon and even afternoon, evening on cloudy day when shooting outdoor field sports I need to be pretty high ISOs due to f5.6. My 300mm f2.8 works so much better. I just wish Fuji will offer some long prime for us folks who still have to keep two separate systems.

10. bobbyzfx

bobbyzfx Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Sorry hit double reply, don't know how to delete it.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  11. nu2digital

nu2digital Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

It depends on the lighting. For well lit venues (e.g., stage lights), f/5.6 is enough to get you 1/250 sec at ISO6400. For poorly lit venues (e.g., typical high school gymnasium), you will more likely need f/2.8 to get 1/500 ISOs at ISO 6400.

John

12. Bud Weiser

Bud Weiser Member

-Return to Top-

Ok you have convinced me that the 50-140 is the way to go and add a TC if needed. I have the 90mm already and want to make sure it does not become a "shelf queen" once I purchase the 50-140.

13. Gilles Baribeau

Gilles Baribeau Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Hi Bud !

I think you made the right choice to go with the 50-140, it's a really versatile and fast focusing zoom, the ios is great, and it works very well with the 1.4tc too. Indoor you will like the constant f2.8 aperture.
    I just bought a very nice used XF100-400 (did not have the opportunity shoot much with it yet), but as other members of the forum mention, it would not be my first choice indoor.

And dont worry about your XF90mm, she'll be your "bokeh queen" !

Gilles