This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Fuji XF 56 f/1.2 or XF 90mm For Portraits

Discussion in 'Fuji X-Mount Lens Forum' started by rollsman4, Apr 20, 2017.

1. bobbyzfx

bobbyzfx Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have 50-140mm, 56mm f1.2, and 90mm f2. When I had canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS II was my go to lens, whether studio or outside. Now with Fuji I am using 50-140mm the least. Maybe getting spoiled by the look of 56mm and 90mm. For outside I am also using 56mm more than the 90mm. Both are nice, inside studio, even 56mm means I am at the back wall if trying to do full length. For headshots I prefer 90mm and even longer.

2. starlights

starlights Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have both and use both extensively, however if for some reason I would only be allowed to keep one, I would choose 56. Although 90 is just superb, as has been said before, its more specialized. 56 offers a lot of flexibility, closer working distance (esp for portraits) and has a bit more 3D rendering due to wider FOV. Get 56 first and then add 90

3. liggy

liggy Camera Fondler

-Return to Top-

Piling on here. I've got both and while the 90 is fantastic I use the 56mm way more often.

4. FJ LOVE

FJ LOVE Member

-Return to Top-

I used to have the 90 but the 56 and the 50-140 are the two I used most often for portraits so I sold it, I found it to be an awkward length, too long in the studio and too short for sports, although very nice rendering

5. Bud Weiser

Bud Weiser Member

-Return to Top-

I use the 27mm and 90mm combo for portrait/walk around. I tried the 50-140 in the camera store but it was just so large on the X-T1 I couldn't wrap my brain around it :)

I used to have a Pentax 50-135 that I used exclusively for portraits and it worked out great. But then again the camera and grip were much larger so it "fit" the lens well.

6. Mike_S

Mike_S Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Quality of image is not a question with either lens, really. It is a question of what type of shot you want to achieve. The 56 allows a portrait that has contextual elements, specific clues to the person by their surroundings, where the 90 tends to isolate the person. This is not to say the 56 cannot do a headshot or the 90 cannot have context, but I strongly feel they are two different animals.