This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

GFX View Camera Adapter G

Discussion in 'GFX 50S' started by robert, Apr 19, 2017.

1. robert

robert Administrator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

[​IMG]
    Features
    • The view camera adapter can be used when shooting with the FUJIFILM GFX 50S when using older FUJINON large format camera lenses, such as the CM FUJINON, etc. The adapter is mounted in the film camera loading position of the view camera which adopts the film format of the 4x5 size.
    • The shutter can be used from either the lens side or the body side, allowing the user to choose the optimum method depending on shooting conditions.
    • The large image circle of the large format lens and variable optical axis functions according to the unique bellows of the view camera can be used to perform tilt shooting photography, effective for product shooting and architectural photography.
    • *There may be instances in which the adapter cannot be mounted depending on the shape of the view camera.
    Compatibility
    FUJIFILM GFX 50S $399.99

mnflycaster and jknights like this.
  2. Narsuitus

Narsuitus Premium Member

-Return to Top-

From what I understand, the adapter attaches to the lens mount of the Fuji GFX 50S medium format camera and allows the photographer to mount the Fuji GFX to the back of a large format view camera.

The large format lens mounted on the front of the large format view camera can then project images to the medium format GFX.

The photographer has the option of using the shutter on the large format lens or the shutter in the GFX digital to take the picture.

The photographer should be able to use older Fujinon large format camera lenses or any other brand of large format camera lens to project an image to the medium format GFX.

Am I correct in my understanding?

3. robert

-Return to Top-

I believe that is correct

Narsuitus likes this.
  4. jknights

jknights Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

MeCruncher likes this.
  5. robert

-Return to Top-

The same way it focuses on a view camera, the GFX just replaces the film back

6. mnflycaster

mnflycaster Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have seen small snippets on the internet on folks using this adapter... Mainly photos of setups... Has anyone found something that goes into which large format lens focal lengths work best?
    I got one of these with the GFX system I bought for my multimedia program at the college I teach at. It comes in about a week.
    At this point I will just experiment and see what works... Thinking the longer the better??? 210 on up?
    Will be using an old cambo 4X5 system and I will give an old speedgraphic a try for fun.

7. Narsuitus

Narsuitus Premium Member

-Return to Top-

It probably depends on what one is trying to accomplish.

Due to the crop factor, a telephoto lens for a large format camera would perform like a super telephoto on the medium format GFX body.

A normal lens for the large format camera would perform like a telephoto on the medium format GFX body.

A wide angle lens for the large format camera would perform like a normal lens on the medium format GFX body.

Personally, I would first try my Schneider 65mm Super-Angulon wide angle.

mnflycaster likes this.
  8. beakhammer

beakhammer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

To me this looks like an adapter that mounts directly to the Graflok back of most 4x5 view cameras. As such this allows you to use your GFX with any lens that can be mounted on the large format lens board that goes with the view camera. The most useful way to use this device is in stitching together a series of shots made from different positions within the image circle of a MF or LF lens.

Here is another link: Fujifilm View Camera Adapter G 16551312 B&H Photo Video

This is different than the way I use my Fotodiox Vizelex Rhinocam to mount Mamiya 645 medium format lenses in front of my Fuji-X cameras. The Vizelex Rhinocam is also sized to fit a Graflok back, but Fotodiox negected to add the grooves that would be needed to engage the sliding-tabs that lock the film carrier or whatever to the Graflok back. I plan to machine these grooves into my Vizelex Rhinocam myself, which will allow me to use my X-Trans cameras to make stitched images within the image circle of LF lenses.

Fotodiox also makes adapters like the one shown above, that simply slide horizontally within a framework that mounts to a 4x5 Graflok back. These are available in Pentax K, Nikon and Canon mounts. The Fotodiox Vizelex Rhinocam device that I have slides vertically as well as horizontally, and has a bayonet mount for Fuji-X on the back, and a bayonet for Mamiya 645 lenses on the front. The MF lens mount can be swopped for other mounts (Pentax 645, Hasselblad). Other adapters can be added into the system to fit larger MF lenses as well. The FX- Bayonet mount can also be rotated 90 degrees for more ways to orient the Fuji cameras sensor in relation to the devices movements.

Simple Horizontally sliding Graflok-Back mounts like the one shown here can be used to quickly shoot a row of images in order to make a panoramic file with a large-format view camera, but they can also be moved vertically using the movements of the view camera's rear standard, and so can be made to cover the entire 4x5 area, if the lens being used has a large enough image circle. If the adapter is fixed (and it would be easy to make a fixed adapter yourself) then all of the movements can be accomplished using the rise and fall as well as horizontal shift of the rear standard.

I am building a new design of field camera with full movements in the rear standard for exactly this reason.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017 at 6:04 PM
    mnflycaster likes this.