This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Hello from Kingston, Ontario

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Sean Hardie, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Sean Hardie

Sean Hardie New Member

-Return to Top-

Hello all,

I have been using Fujifilm cameras for some time now, initially with a Fujifilm X100 and now with an X-T2. I am gradually scaling down the use of my Nikon D810, but I find the two cameras complement each other as each has uses that the other isn't capable of. I write about that here for those who are interested:

Nikon D810 and Fujifilm X-T2 compared – sort of…

My primary interest with the X-T2 has been with the use of vintage lenses, although not exclusively so.
    If anyone is curious about vintage lenses my collection is slowly growing and consists of the following:

Asahi Pentax Takumar 200mm F3.5 Pre-Set M42
    Asahi Pentax Super Takumar 135mm f/2.5
    Asahi Pentax Takumar SMC 28mm f/3.5
    Asahi Pentax Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4

Carl Zeiss PANCOLAR 50mm f1.8 MC

Fujinon XF35mm f1.4
    Fujinon XF18mm f2
    Fujinon XF23mm f2 WR (just arrived today)
    Fujinon XF18-55mm f2.8-4 R LM OIS (got it with the X-T2 as a kit)

Helios 58mm 44m-4 f2

Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f1.4 (arriving this week)

Nice to meet you guys, and looking forward to talking about Fuji stuff!

Sean

2. pandoraefretum

pandoraefretum Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Hi there : I reckon XF35 f/1.4 is your best lens

3. Shadowside

Shadowside Good Glass is Forever...

-Return to Top-

Welcome Sean :)

There are a few others that also have a solid collection of old glass, you should find yourself in good company.

4. Sean Hardie

Sean Hardie New Member

-Return to Top-

I like the 35/1.4 and I know it's a very popular lens and I've gotten good results with it:

But for some reason I just keep going back to my Super Takumar 50mm:

I am hoping to make some tracks with the Voigtlander I ordered since the SC models lend themselves especially well to B&W.

5. Sean Hardie

Sean Hardie New Member

-Return to Top-

I notice you've got some Rokkors, I intend to acquire a few.

Shadowside likes this.
  6. Shadowside

Shadowside Good Glass is Forever...

-Return to Top-

True, but I have hung onto them more for sentimental reasons. I don't use them as my aging eyes benefit too much from AF.

@dixeyk has a good cross section of legacy glass and has posted several short essays on his results and preferences based on his shooting style & subjects. He has some awesome B&W shots that really beg for us to revisit some of these old lenses.

:)

dixeyk likes this.
  7. dixeyk

dixeyk Dabbler

-Return to Top-

o_O

Shadowside likes this.
  8. dixeyk

dixeyk Dabbler

-Return to Top-

Well, I do like my adapted lenses. I've recently picked up a few native lenses and appreciate the AF but I find the feel of using them to be very enjoyable. I also think that they are a lot more capable than they sometimes get credit for. I've used Konicas, Minoltas, Pentax (Super Takumar and K mount), Canon FD, Olympus OM and Nikon over the years and to be quite honest you can find some really nice lenses no matter where you look. Those of us that shoot adapted lenses all have our favorites and I'm not any different...it has also changed depending on what body I shoot and the kinds of images I am looking to produce. For instance, I like Minolta's color but I find them to be a bit better match to Sony bodies (for my taste). I like Olympus OM lenses because they are so compact, Konicas for their wonderful sharpness and so forth.

The best part however is that generally speaking the cost of adapted lenses is low enough that experimenting with a bunch of lenses isn't too tough on the checkbook.

Nikkor-P 105/2.5
    [​IMG]
    last years flag
    by kevin dixey, on Flickr

Canon FD 24/2.8 SSC
    [​IMG]
    pose

Olympus OM 24/2.8
    [​IMG]
    standing in the fields of the dead

Shadowside likes this.
  9. G.K.Jnr.

G.K.Jnr. Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Hi Sean, And welcome aboard Fuji-X, looking forward to hearing from you and maybe seeing some of your images on the various forums. "Enjoy".

10. camprl1

camprl1 Member

-Return to Top-

Hello Sean. Welcome from the other (that I'm aware of) Kingstonian on here! I only have the lowly X-A1 and its kit lens, but use that along with a few Minolta lenses (2 copies of the MD 50mm f/2 that came with my XD and XG-M cameras and a recently purchased 40-year old Rokkor-QF 50mm f3.5 Macro as well as the Autobellows).

Rob

11. Sean Hardie

Sean Hardie New Member

-Return to Top-

hi Rob, nice to meet you. I was lucky to get an X-T2 because I travel to Japan now and then and pick up cameras/lenses duty free while I'm there. I have been looking hard at Minolta Rokkor lenses, but first I have to get to grips with the Voigtlander I just got. I have looked on with a lot of envy at Jonas Rask's site, he has a lot of great legacy lenses (and is obviously loaded, he's got some pretty choice Leica lenses too). I've only been in Kingston for a few months, but I'm slowly starting to find a couple of good places to shoot. Do you have any particular favourites? I miss living in a larger city because of the amount of street shooting that can be done, but Kingston has a lot of nice wooded parks and trails to explore.