This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Lens personal dilemma

Discussion in 'GFX 50S' started by dtiger, Mar 10, 2017.

1. dtiger

dtiger Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I love my GFX with the 32-64mm... But I want something longer.. that 110mm f/2 sounds like a dream lens.. but that 120mm f/4 OIS is available now... but its F4 and has OIS.. damn decisions..

2. kerrydeare

kerrydeare X-T1 Diehard

-Return to Top-

Heartfelt sympathy.

I had a similar painful experience last week while trying to decide on a new kitchen stove. Traumatic, fer shure.

3. F2Bthere

F2Bthere Premium Member

-Return to Top-

First world problems...

OIS can be turned off, no?

Hold out for the dream lens or buy both. Or buy the one and sell it when the other comes out to trade up.

If you are really making this decision, you clearly don't "need" the longer lens now and can wait.

4. ru2far2c

ru2far2c Active Member

-Return to Top-

Most MF lenses are f4. There a few f2.8's out there. Most hasselblad lenses were f4 or slower and their normal 80mm was f2.8 and I think a 100mm was 2.8. Fuji may have some legacy glass that is faster. Don't know fuji's MF lens line that well. For my needs using MF I'd be very happy with f2.8/4 glass and ISO of 100.

5. mikegee

mikegee Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The GFX is a overrated piece of junk, you should sell it to me for $500.00o_O

6. Topsy

Topsy Premium Member

-Return to Top-

What do you want longer for? If general longer reach for landscapes etc the 120 is your best option with it's macro and all, if you are a portrait shooter you might want to wait for the 110 with it's ridiculously narrow DoF? I have the 120 and amhappy but I'm not a portrait shooter. Your zoom is f4 anyway and with MF that's plenty wide enough remember the DoF is much narrower. Both the zoom and 120 go to f32 which means f22 will be fine without diffraction, not sure what the min aperture is for the 110 might be f22.

7. tallone6ft5us

tallone6ft5us Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

The 120 f4 OIS would be more useful due to the OIS and the F4 won't be a big deal since depth of field will be narrow even at F4. The 110 f2 will be an extremely good piece of glass and quite costly compared to the 120mm. Also the 110 F2 will be a dream lens for bokeh but images shot at F2 will have an extremely small focus zone. Just look at some images shot with the 120 macro and depth of field is quite narrow already even at F4. The 110 F2 will be a legendary piece of glass for certain and if one shoots portraits will provide a look that will be hard to replicate using other glass. I'd say if money isn't an issue go for the 120mm F4 now. Then sell it to fund the 110mm F2 if you decide to go for it. Having OIS in a lens can't be overlooked for the GFX. It is the same as comparing the APSC Fuji 90mm and the 50-140 the OIS makes the zoom much more useable.

8. bobbyzfx

bobbyzfx Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I typically shoot 85L at f2, so I don't think f4 will give that shallow DoF. Even the 110 f2 will not match FF equivalents. BTW - Why no IS on that 110 mm f2?

9. rfkiii

rfkiii New Member

-Return to Top-

The 120 would be equivalent to a 94mm f3.16, then step closer one foot. :)

10. johndizzo15

johndizzo15 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

For long and wide lens options, I'm starting out with adapted stuff first. Picked up the Mamiya 645 to GF adapter so I can use my old Mamiya 80/1.9 and 110/2.8 for now. Picked up the EF to GF to use the 24 TSE2 as the wide option. These adapters can be had for 150-170 USD which is not bad to be able to use stuff I already had. The 63 is the only native option I'll have for now.

If you are interested in trying out the Mamiya stuff, it might be a good idea to pick up what you can now before prices started to creep up (potentially).

11. monst

monst Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

why shoot the 85L at f2, the 1.8 is much sharper at f2 and shed loads cheaper.

12. bobbyzfx

bobbyzfx Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Well I had Canon 85mm f1.8, 85L, Sigma 85mm f1.4 and 85mm f1.8 was not comparison to 85L or the Siggy 85mm f1.4. Trust me. Now if I was more in basketball 85mm f1.8 would be the best for AF. Other than that 85L. I sold Sigma as I was moving to Fuji and didn't want two lenses with same focal length.