This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

LightRoom RAW support by end of May

Discussion in 'X-Pro1 and X-Pro2' started by Papa Lazarou, May 17, 2012.

1. Papa Lazarou

Papa Lazarou New Member

-Return to Top-

Was chatting with a Fuji rep today about all things X Pro 1 and he tells me LightRoom RAW support for Fuji X Pro 1 will be here by end of the month.

2. fourtogaraffia

fourtogaraffia Active Member

-Return to Top-

Ossum. Can't wait, thanks for posting that.

3. Roel

Roel Member

-Return to Top-

that is good news if it is true

4. gDallasK

gDallasK Member

-Return to Top-

I hope we get CS6 support at the same time. I've just paid £200 to upgrade from CS5 and I would prefer to avoid upgrading Lightroom - which I rarely use anyway. I've paid enough money to Adobe for one month.

5. borgein

borgein Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Camera RAW is Camera RAW. Once it is updated with X-Pro1 support all Adobe products that uses ACR for RAW will read the files.

Correction: All Adobe products that are eligiable for the new version of ACR that is (Lightroom 4, Photoshop CS6, etc. Not CS5.5 or LR3).

6. jlaronge

jlaronge Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Last month, I had a Fuji rep tell me ACR and LR support would come at the beginning of May. I don't think the Fuji reps really know. Adobe "officially" updates cameras for ACR and LR four times per year. The last "official" update was May 1. Based on the four per year schedule, I'd suspect the next "official" one will be around August 1. Hopefully, there will be a beta and/or release candidate before then but, I wouldn't count on it before the end of June or beginning of July.

7. jknights

jknights Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

Beta or whatever it would be nice to have it.

Mind you I would rather have Capture One or Aftershot Pro with the RAW support since these are my preferred RAW processors.

8. N2HHR

N2HHR Member

-Return to Top-

Do I ever agree with that! Capture one has been notified thousands of times via support requests for this! But, ACR will be fine until capture one is out!

9. Dick Quinn

Dick Quinn Member

-Return to Top-

This is NOT good news:

http://chromasoft.blogspot.de/2012/05/demosaicing-fuji-x-pro1-and-its-x-trans.html

flysurfer likes this.
  10. borgein

borgein Premium Member

-Return to Top-

That is the opinions of one software developer which develops a RAW converter that is largely unknown.
    Software engineers need to be creative with the new sensor layout, and get away from the "everything has been 2x2, so WTF am I supposed to do to solve this. It is impossible!!" mindset.

It will take time, yes. But the X-Trans really shows that it is a sensor that is way above the regular Bayer 2x2 sensor design. Just look at the jpeg's... The jpeg's are processed from RAW data as well.

One of the negative points from that developer is even that the 6x6 sensor array will take more processing power (duh), and it won't be able to run on an iPad... Like anyone cares? The iPad raw application he develops is even very badly rated on the AppStore... I guess that says everything.

11. Papa Lazarou

Papa Lazarou New Member

-Return to Top-

BETA version of Adobe camera RAW is already out for Photoshop.

12. Arjay

Arjay Admin Staff Member

-Return to Top-

Interesting information - it explains some of the comments I've read elsewhere about Fuji not having provided enough support to RAW file converter programmers other than Silkypix...

OTOH, it doesn't really come as a surprise that a different filter pattern requires new, innovative demosaicing algorithms. Naturally, developing powerful, high-performance algorithms involves a lot of trial and error, which in turn takes time and probably several design iterations.

13. jknights

-Return to Top-

I'm sure that Dave Coffin is available for consultancy if it is too difficult for them! Seems like a small price to pay for delivering the impossible. :lol:

14. Arjay

Arjay Admin Staff Member

-Return to Top-

This basically means that Fuji still has some edge over other software manufacturers, as their built-in RAW converter still seems to be a little better than that of the others (except for a slight loss in resolution).

If I have correctly understood part 2 of the Chromasoft blog (see link above), then Dave Coffin's DCRaw isn't the gold standard of X-Pro1 RAW converters either, and Dave's X-Pro1 demosaicing algorithm too could still use some tweaking...

15. Liquid Stereo

Liquid Stereo New Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks Dave!

16. Liquid Stereo

Liquid Stereo New Member

-Return to Top-

It is not good news. Some think this has to do with software, but really it has to do with interpolation. Specifically, interpolation of irregularly spaced data. You can call for all the innovation you want but looking at the literature it shows that such algorithms or mathematical techniques have not evolved much in the past 40 years.

17. Papa Lazarou

Papa Lazarou New Member

-Return to Top-

Liquid Stereo Your welcome ITS A SAGA NOW DAVE.

18. artuk

artuk Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I do agree with your comments. The purpose of a sensor is not to make the job of raw convertor developers "easy", or allow processing on low power devices. Frankly, Adobe already have "form" on rather lazy implementation of some raw formats. If the new Fuji sensor layout requires them to code new raw conversion routines, rather than just use the ones they wrote years ago, then frankly that is what we will all be paying for when we are forced to update our software versions to get the latest ACR engine. I only hope they do the job properly and that ACR will yield results better than out of camera, rather than some of their less-than-spectacular efforts on other raw files in the past.

19. jknights

-Return to Top-

That is because everyone apart from Sigma and Fuji have all plodded down the same Bayer route for sensor layout.
    Fuji have demonstrated that a different layout has great potential and if some software engineers cant work out what to do its because they have a lack of knowledge and creativity with respect to sensor design and layout not a lack of coding ability.
    Once you know the algorithm implementing the code is easy/easier.

20. daremoshiranai

daremoshiranai Member

-Return to Top-

I know better than to listen to fuji when they mention dates. :lol: