This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

12mm Rokinon/Samyang Milky Way Over Dyer Point Maine

Discussion in 'Lens-Specific Photo Archive' started by Wintersong, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Wintersong

Wintersong Active Member

-Return to Top-

One of the nice things about living in Maine is having things shots like this nearby. I've been super happy with my 12mm f2 Rokinon on my X-T1 for both astrophotography and all sorts of other kinds of work.

Dyer stars aligned_FB.jpg

The stars in this photo are 10 shots at 13 seconds each, taken one right after another at f2/ISO6400, then aligned and blended in Photoshop (the smudging on the right being the result of blending clouds). I took a longer shot at slightly lower ISO (without moving the camera), to get some detail in the rocks and breaking wave. The glow is due to clouds and the significant light pollution found in this part of Maine.

EDIT: I uploaded a not-so-high-resolution photo of 1600px on the long edge, which looks a bit soft in the thread on my large monitor, but it really is a pretty sharp image seen without monitor upscaling.

Ish, atmoplasm, trainer and 9 others like this.
  2. Eddie43

Eddie43 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Very nice. I don't think I've seen the Milky Way in thirty years or so.

3. apsphoto

apsphoto Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Beautiful shot, well composed.

Alan

4. ruvy

ruvy Active Member

-Return to Top-

Very nice shot, composed well with edge of town, stars and clouds. I never photographed the milky way but I do like to shoot passing clouds but they usually take a good part of my frame. What I like in your composition is the combination of three separate entities ground (with ocean), clouds (with motion and light) and a very clear "other world" of stars. Very well seen and processed.

5. rammichawla

rammichawla Active Member

-Return to Top-

Nice shot, really. But mind telling why so many exposures? Answer is optional.

6. morhafren

morhafren Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Nice image from a very useful and reasonably-priced lens. Urban lighting within the same frame with long astro exposures is always an exposure problem in my own efforts with the Samyang 12mm but it's well controlled here.

7. Wintersong

Wintersong Active Member

-Return to Top-

By doing a larger number of exposures at high-ISO, aligning the stars in photoshop, and then blending them using the smart-object "median" blend mode, you can minimize the noise one gets in high-ISO images. You can't just shoot longer exposure at lower-ISO because the stars move too fast, even at 12mm. At this latitude and angle to the horizon, much more than 15 seconds and you've got too much motion blur in the stars for a sharp image. There's no way to keep the time down without using a high-ISO and introducing problematic noise, especially since the post-processing needed to bring out the stars and Milky Way also emphasizes noise.

You can probably get a better idea of the sharpness on this image looking at it on my 500px page

8. rammichawla

rammichawla Active Member

-Return to Top-

Thank you so much for your reply. It's really educating. I am certainly going to dig deep into smart-object "median" blend mode, something entirely new for me. My quest for learning something new just got some fodder. Thanks.

9. Mischa

Mischa Vintage lover

-Return to Top-

I don't get why you needed 10 exposures at iso 6400..
    iso 2000 should be more than enough to already SEE the milky way in one image.
    Especially if you intend on stacking images, I would probably go even lower.

It's important to shoot when the moon hasn't risen yet (or already set)

This was shot with the Samyang too: 25s, f/2 and iso 3200, no stacking
    MBP03203.jpg

LionSpeed, atmoplasm and orchard like this.
  10. atmoplasm

atmoplasm photon freak

-Return to Top-

I prefer the OP's image in the context of art. It has an artistic rendering to it that suits. I think he had a vision in mind, and knew how to get it, or at least got it.

MBP03203[1].jpg

11. atmoplasm

atmoplasm photon freak

-Return to Top-

As you can see, the above image could have done with a few seconds more exposure for colour capture with no smear that was in excess of given coma.

If we are not imaging for scientific purposes then people pressing creative options is a good thing.

12. Mischa

Mischa Vintage lover

-Return to Top-

HOW did you do that?
    I tried loads of stuff and couldn't figure out how to get rid of those friggin purple stars!

Obviously, my image was just a first try/chance to ever take a picture of the Milky Way, with no "artistic vision" in mind.
    But my point was that there's no need to set the iso THAT high and even stack photographs for the Milky Way on a clear night.. :p

This is witchcraft!
    Now the purple stars in my image are gone too.. :confused:

ps: longer than 25s resulted in star trails.. 20s would've been better.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  13. atmoplasm

atmoplasm photon freak

-Return to Top-

I dun nothing, nothing! eek!

Yes I do like your image too, just a different kettle of fish.

14. Mischa

Mischa Vintage lover

-Return to Top-

If you didn't edit my image, I don't get the remark:
    ??? :p

15. atmoplasm

atmoplasm photon freak

-Return to Top-

I would have asked first. We always do that, or should.

Perhaps you are getting on a bit, and your eyes are not what they once were. Maybe the mods....

16. Mischa

Mischa Vintage lover

-Return to Top-

Nah, can't be my eyes.. they suck since primary school..
    No, in my image most of the stars were purple-ish.. and then you quoted it and they looked as intended, sharp, pinpoint stars.. amazing :D

17. Wintersong

Wintersong Active Member

-Return to Top-

Your photo appears to have been taken in quite a dark environment, while mine was shot in the presence of a LOT of light pollution, those are two utterly different kettle of fish. ISO 2000 here, especially at the shorter shutter time, nets me next to nothing usable. Hell, there's a flipping lighthouse not all that far out of frame. I haven't ever gotten to shoot someplace really dark, though I've been thinking about a trip to the deep of the Maine woods up north of me, near the 100 Mile Wilderness where it's quite empty and dark.

Also, I don't remember if it has to do with my latitude or my angle to the horizon (being on the seacoast, I tend to have my camera pointed nearly level to the ground), but I find that I get too much star movement at 25 seconds. 15 is about the limit for pinprick stars. I asked about it awhile back in an astrophotography forum, but the answer went a bit over my head, other than that I'm not seeing things.

18. SRFOTO.SE

SRFOTO.SE Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Today I ordered this lens. Will see if it will become a family member or not :)

19. Ish

Ish Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The light glow may not be what you want scientifically, but artistically, this is beautiful.

20. SRFOTO.SE

SRFOTO.SE Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Now it's home. Tomorrow I'll test it. :) any tips?
    20170103_215718-01.jpg