This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

My First Camera

Discussion in 'Forum Cafe - Everything Off Topic' started by Dr.S, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Dr.S

Dr.S Premium Member

-Return to Top-

cca 1969 image.jpg

DGS and Indopunk like this.
  2. Cinders00

Cinders00 New Member

-Return to Top-

I don't remember my very first point and shoots back when a camera was just a camera.
    But I remember the first camera I bought because I was interested in photography, was a bridge camera from 2004. The Panasonic Lumix FZ20.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz20/

I still have some photos I took from it on my flickr. It was a great camera at the time.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cinders/sets/72157594301976787/

3. Arjay

Arjay Admin Staff Member

-Return to Top-

I don't precisely remember my first camera. It must have been an Agfa box camera designed for type 120 film, and I got it at the age of 8. My second camera which I got when I was 12 was more interesting: It was a Praktiflex built in Dresden in 1942 - the world's first SLR for 135mm film with interchangeable lenses, which I inherited from my mother who used to be a professional photographer.

Dr.S, DGS and Indopunk like this.
  4. gojira

gojira Member

-Return to Top-

The first camera I was given was a Kodak Brownie Six-20, which was at least 20-30 years old when I got it at 8 years old! I was also given a camera a few years later that looked like a SLR, but was a fixed lens/shutter speed 127 roll film camera. My aunt gave me her 127 Brownie camera at some point (which I still have - I even still have a few original flashbulbs for it!)

The first high-quality camera was a Yashicamat 124G I used in high school, shooting for the school paper and yearbook. It was my constant companion for 4 years, until I graduated. It was also when I learned to develop and print my own film, as the school couldn't afford to have film commercially processed.

5. BarryFairclough

BarryFairclough Premium Member

-Return to Top-

My first was a Kodak Box Brownie, 120 roll film I believe, when I was around 10 years old. Not for another 15 years did I own another - then it was a 35 mm Olympus Trip. My first SLR was a Canon EOS 600, 11 years after the Olympus.

Barry

6. Skulmoski

Skulmoski Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Zenit E in the late 1960's.

GJS

7. blacksheep

blacksheep Member

-Return to Top-

Don't remember the brand of the first camera given to me as a child but it was definitely a film point and shoot--110 or 126. The first camera I ever bought for myself was a Nikon N50 with a 35-70mm kit lens.

8. lnbolch

lnbolch Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Target Brownie which used 620 film. Electricity had not reached our ranch at that time, so I did time exposures of my toys with flashlights as studio lights. My big birthday gift was a close-up lens when I was nine or ten years old.

9. joe aka back alley

joe aka back alley Premium Member

-Return to Top-

my first 'good' camera and the one that i paid for myself was an olympus 35rc...i still have it, complete with oly haze filter and hood...great little cam!

10. denis.lincoln

denis.lincoln Apartment Smells of Rich Mahogany

-Return to Top-

My first camera is this K1000. My dad gave it to me on my 16th birthday. It was SO complicated!

Dials, wheels, things on the lens that moved around. A needle that moved as you pointed the camera into different light conditions.

You even had to remember to put the lens cap back on it or the light meter would meter whatever the camera was pointed at until the battery died.

Now it sits on my shelf with the battery removed and watches me type. :)

[​IMG]
    k1000 by gimletsandfilm, on Flickr

11. Andrew Beveridge

Andrew Beveridge Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

agfa optima rangefinder

12. Westmill

Westmill Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Oh dear.... age on display lol.... My first camera was the Practica MTL3 with 50mm and 135mm plus a little sunpak flash unit all kept in a alloy case lol
    I was 16 and bought it with my first ever pay packet :) WOW ! it even had a built in meter :)

Indopunk likes this.
  13. GTech

GTech Active Member

-Return to Top-

Black Zenit TTL, bought in 1978..............did my first ever motocross event with it and still have the negs somewhere! Sold it a year later and got a shiny new OM10 off my mates mum's catalogue.....it was the most unreliable piece of junk Olympus ever produced :rolleyes:

14. DrSommer

DrSommer New Member

-Return to Top-

oh man, got that om10 too, with an 50mm f1.8. It were real harsh, even the film seamed not to lay flat in its place.

15. David Schneider

David Schneider Premium Member

-Return to Top-

First real camera was a used Petri Flex V. It had shutter release in the front, like the Praktica. Then used college yearbook staff Nikon F. Then Nikon Ftn plus a Rollie 35. Then Olympus OM 1, then 2. Then Mamya C330. Then a Mamiya RB67. Then Bronica Etrs. Then Canon EOs1. Then Kodak 520 digital and Canon 2000 (same camera really), then Canon 60D, 20d, 5d. Now Canon 5Dmk2 and Hasselblad H3D2-39 and XE--1. I remember the cameras like old girl friends..... some more exciting and memorable than others, but I loved them all!

Westmill likes this.
  16. Indopunk

Indopunk New Member

-Return to Top-

Mine was a Keystone Everfash 10 or 20 that I inherited from my older brother in the late 70s. I recall that the box had a hot-looking blonde holding the camera to part of her face. After that, my father gave me an old Leica range finder with a leather case when I was twelve. In high school, I got a Canon Snappy 50 and then in the 1990s went through a series of auto-focus 35 mm zoom units that included brands like Minolta, Pentax, and of course, Fujifilm. Those things were quite unreliable.

I know my 90 year old father has that Leica somewhere in his closet...

17. DGS

DGS Member

-Return to Top-

My first camera was a roll-film box camera given to me as a gift when I was about 8 years old. A few years later I received a Kodak Instamatic 126, which I used through junior high school. When I was in high school I bought my first camera, a Canon FTBn. I still have it, although the meter is dead. When I was in college, my father gave me his Leica M3 (very early serial number, double stroke, with "old" speeds), along with 50mm Summarit lens and 135mm Canon Serenar (which was like a solid brick of metal), and assorted Leica accessories (flash gun, meter, meter booster). I fell in love with the M3 and used it extensively. I later "traded up" for a converted single stroke M3 and dual-range Summicron, which I still have, along with a 35mm Summaron RF (with the "eyes" for the M3) and an old Hektor 135. A few years later I bought a second M body (an M4) along with a 35mm Summicron and a 90mm Elmarit-M, and a Voigtlander 15mm. I continued to use the Ms alongside a digital Canon 20D. Nowadays, however, it seems too inconvenient to try to find film and processing, especially with the XE-1 at hand and the ability to use my Leica glass with the adapter. The XE-1 reminds me alot of the Leicas in terms of size and handling, and I like having to use my brain a bit to make decisions, unlike a simple point-and-shoot. But for some reason, I can't bear to part with the Leicas.

18. Peebee

Peebee Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Zenit EM, bought in 1979 for a trip to Canada. Part-exchanged on the trip for Pentax MX. MX was about £200 in UK at that time, bought it in Canada for equivalent of £100. Still have it, in working order 30'odd years later.
    Wonder if my X100 will still be working in 30 years time.

19. pait

pait Member

S Paulo, Brazil, and Brookline, Massachusetts

-Return to Top-

Minolta 16, a mini camera. Gift from my father. That says my age is about in the middle of you guys. It also marks my skill level, which continues to be rank amateur ;-)

20. MIGpilot

MIGpilot Premium Member

-Return to Top-

It was 1966, At $9 it was my KODAK HAWKEYE I bought it at FORT BUCKNER PX in Okinawa, JAPAN At 13 years old. Now I was a competitor to my Dads CANON FP. Ha, ha, My first POINT and SHOOT come to think of it. What memories!-----RAF