This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Nikkor 55 Macro 3.5…Older Model Still a Favorite

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Forum' started by ScottyMac, Mar 30, 2017.

1. ScottyMac

ScottyMac Member

-Return to Top-

I'm a bit apprehensive about posting my first photo here…definitely not a flower photog, and I just started in mirror less photography about 2 months ago. One of the things that I'm enjoying most is being able to use glass that is familiar to me from decades gone by.

This old pre-ai 55 macro seems to be getting a lot of my attention lately…and not a bad portrait lens either. This was shot at f8, and still I managed to be a little soft at the tip of the flower. But its a fun lens…light weight, reasonably sharp, and not expensive.

Anyway, the occasion is our first gardenia flower. Living in Colorado, it's not normally grown here, but this is an inside pet, and its first flower called for a photo.

Gardenia-2.jpg

2. robert

robert Administrator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

The gardenia fragrance is wafting through my browser...

:)

FranFL likes this.
  3. ScottyMac

ScottyMac Member

-Return to Top-

This photo was taken with an older 55 Nikkor macro than the one used in the above Gardenia shot. I inherited this old Nikkormat camera from someone, and it came with a very early serial number 55 on it. In spite of all the dust and crud accumulated on the Nikkormat, it still functions.

Old55.jpg

Knapdale likes this.
  4. mnhoj

mnhoj Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Nice first post here.

The Nikkor 55mms are great.
    There are quite a few versions in pre-AI alone.
    Which one do you have?

5. ScottyMac

ScottyMac Member

-Return to Top-

Actually, I have two older ones. The oldest has the scalloped focus ring, and I guess it to be early 60s. The photo of the old Nikkormat was taken with that one. The 'newer' one is the Nikkor P, and has the diamond focus ring. It is far smoother focusing, and that is the one used for the Gardenia flower. I'd like to get one of the newer ai or ai-s variants, believing them to have better coatings, etc.

Recently I started using some old Takumar M42 lenses as well. They have wonderful bokeh, but the Nikkor 55 impresses me with sharpness even in the viewfinder.

6. Knapdale

Knapdale Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Excellent! I have one of those and use it alot, and not only for macro. It's the Nikkor-P.C version, which has been ai'd, though that's not really relevent for it's use on an adapter. So far, it's one of the few legacy lenses I haven't needed to be that worried about flaring; whether that's something to do with the extra coating of the "P.C", or the deeply recessed objective lens, I'm not sure...
    Schistisium maritimum - Faery Isles - Micro-Nikkor 55mm - 1a.jpg

Adam Woodhouse and ScottyMac like this.
  7. ScottyMac

ScottyMac Member

-Return to Top-

I've experienced the same lack of flare, and have always thought it was because of the recessed front element. Nice photos. I see you're from my ancestral land.

Knapdale likes this.
  8. mnhoj

mnhoj Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The scalloped is hinted at being the sharpest of all Nikkor 55mms at 1:2.
    I've owned a half dozen different 55s including the AI-S and the scallop - all perform quite well. I just can't seem to keep one. My fault not lens.
    I do have a Takumar 55mm 1.8 that has survived a few different system changes. Dirt cheap and such a lovely focus feel.
    This reminds me to dust it off and shoot with it.

Looking forward to seeing more of your posts. ( :

9. Knapdale

Knapdale Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Yes! We were in Colorado a few years ago for a month's family holiday - it's also a special place...