This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

POLL: Has Your X100 Failed With Sticky Aperture Blades?

Discussion in 'X100F, X100T, X100S, X100, and X70' started by adanac, Sep 2, 2011.

?
  1. No, my camera is quite new (under 500 exposures) and all seems well at present

126 vote(s)
    17.7%
  2. No, my camera has some mileage on it (over 500 but under 5,000 exposures) and all is still well

240 vote(s)
    33.7%
  3. No, my camera is a work horse with more than 5,000 exposures and still work perfectly

69 vote(s)
    9.7%
  4. Yes, the aperture blades suffered from the sticky blade issue and the camera was fixed under warrant

121 vote(s)
    17.0%
  5. Yes, the camera appears to suffer from this issue but hasn't yet been sent or returned from service

135 vote(s)
    18.9%
  6. Yes, the camera had the issue, was repaired, and the repair also has the issue. (lets hope this one

22 vote(s)
    3.1%
  1. adanac

adanac Active Member

-Return to Top-

Readers of this forum and other gathering places where the X100 is being discussed in earnest may have read that some users cameras have developed a problem that appears to be a manufacturing defect in origin. After a certain amount of use, the aperture blades start to stick. Initially this appears to the user as a curious over-exposure problem, particularly noticeable when the lens is stopped down some. For example, if in aperture priority mode and the indicated exposure is 1/1000 of a second, stopping down one stop should result in an exposure of 1/500th of a second and indeed the camera's informational display will indicate as much.

But since the aperture blades are either fully or partially stuck wide open, setting the aperture ring to any value than wide open results in no actual change in aperture at the time of exposure due to the sticky blade issue. Thus the image will be overexposed, instead of properly exposed, by one EV. Stop the lens down one more stop and the image will now be over exposed by 2 EV, and so on.

You can visually inspect your lens - depress the shutter half way when the aperture control is set to various settings.

Cameras afflicted with this issue may partially function - occasionally aperture blades will move as they should. There does seem to be indication that the condition worsens over time - blades that once moved fully eventually stop moving completely.

There seem to be a sizeable number of afflicted owners/cameras - this poll is an attempt to determine how many cameras have been afflicted.

DavidReid likes this.
  2. adanac

adanac Active Member

-Return to Top-

If users are comfortable posting the first part of their serial number, it might help identify a pattern.

My camera suffers from the sticky aperture blade issue; had 4000 exposures on it when I sent it in (hopefully is back in my hands tomorrow or Monday latest); my serial number starts with 12A05.

3. kermaier

kermaier New Member

-Return to Top-

S/N 12A0xxxx has the problem but has not yet been sent in for service.
    ::Ari

4. KirkFuga

KirkFuga Member

-Return to Top-

S/N 12M0xxxxxx does NOT have a problem (yet). It's a few months old. I'm hoping that if it does develop this problem that at least it does it while still under warranty. This camera is too expensive to stop working soon after warranty expires...

5. StanfordEMoore

StanfordEMoore Member

-Return to Top-

S/N 12A0xxxx with 2k shots.. no problem...

6. rogmay

rogmay Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have voted - no problems so far. May I suggest that this poll needs bumping or some other way of giving it wider publicity among the many members of the forum so as to achieve fully representative results?

7. My X100 is over two months old and started overexposing two weeks ago. Sent it to New Jersy 13 days ago and have not heard anything yet. Delay was caused by Hurricane Irene and Labor Day weekend. I also asked them to tightin up the Exposure Compensation dial if possible. I found it was easy to get moved accidentally. In fact I thought at first that that was causing the overexposures.

Hope to hear something soon.

8. eeldig

eeldig New Member

-Return to Top-

I just started to have this problem this week. I've taken about 900 pictures before this started to happen to me.

Do I contact Fuji directly or bring it to the shop and ask them to get it fixed?

My serial is 13Axxxx

9. Azimuth

Azimuth Member

-Return to Top-

My serial number: 12M0xxxx
    Its been sent to Fuji Australia for repair, but they are waiting on parts and say it could take weeks.

10. adanac

adanac Active Member

-Return to Top-

Depends on which country you are in, regardless I would contact fuji directly to confirm the procedure for your locale. My camera was repaired and back in a courier within two days, hopefully your experience will be more like mine than Glenn's.

11. DavidX

DavidX New Member

-Return to Top-

Yes - serial No 12M0xxxx. After 4 months 1400 shots
    Australia - sent in yesterday

12. cathy51

cathy51 New Member

-Return to Top-

sent and returned fixed

ser# 13A.....

13. adanac

adanac Active Member

-Return to Top-

So far 32% of respondents have received an X100 cursed with the sticky aperture blade issue. It seems unlikely the actual percentage of affected cameras is anywhere near that high, so if you have a camera not affected and haven't registered your situation in this poll, please consider adding your vote!

14. rogmay

rogmay Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I wish I could share that fairly optimistic view. My fear is that the sticky shutter results from a fundamental manufacturing or design fault and that all X100s have it, initially latent but appearing sooner or later depending on the amount of camera use and possibly other factors. In brief, we will all suffer at some point.

If later rather than sooner, we may be out of guarantee and find ourselves having to convince Fujifilm that the problem existed from new.

15. adanac

adanac Active Member

-Return to Top-

Yes I am at the least cautiously optimistic and am giving Fujifilm the benefit of doubt at this point although as the numbers climb I'm less certain that positive outlook is warranted. From what I have read - all second hand mind you - Fujifilm seems to claim the problem is limited to certain production batches. The few serial number prefixes people have shared *seems* to contradict that assertion but we don't know how the serial numbers are assigned.

The specter of a chronic problem plaguing all or most all of the current production is what prompted me to do a poll which attempted to understand how much use cameras have had. It'll be very interesting to see how these repairs / replaced lens assemblies fare once they hit 500, 1000, 5000 exposures.

Certainly we are seeing problems occur as cameras are used more, so hopefully most users will reach the problem threshold of exposure count long before their two years warranty are up. It'd also be nice to see Fujifilm step up to the plate and unambiguously announce extended warranty support for that specific issue.

16. Arjay

Arjay Admin Staff Member

-Return to Top-

If that should be true (which I don't believe), then there's only one advice you should follow:

GO OUT AND SHOOT AS MUCH AS YOU CAN!

17. rogmay

rogmay Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I do hope you are right as far as your belief is concerned Arjay. That said, I would much prefer to see Fujifilm follow the course suggested by Adanac, i.e. extended warranty for this issue.

Incidentally, I have just noticed that Adanac refers to the "two-year" warranty. For some curious reason, the warranty varies according to the country of the owner, and, in my case (and presumably that of other UK owners), it is only a one-year period. I have verified this on line.

18. adanac

adanac Active Member

-Return to Top-

Unfortunate, but interesting. A country-specific warranty yet the warranty information is maintained globally via the myfinepix.com site.

19. ruicnog

ruicnog Member

-Return to Top-

2 years of warranty here in Portugal. I have shot about 500 times and I have done the check you advised here and so far so good. Serial # 12L00474

20. adanac

adanac Active Member

-Return to Top-

Changed my vote to Yes, had the issue, now back from warranty repair and works perfectly although I wonder if it works a little differently.

The ticket which accompanied my camera indicated that the entire lens assembly had been replaced.