This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Quickee Reviews: Cub and Co. Shooter Strap; Peak Design Leash and Cuff Straps

Discussion in 'Lens and Accessory Reviews' started by makster, Sep 13, 2013.

1. makster

makster Staff Contributor

-Return to Top-

[SIZE=14pt]If there is one thing that haunts a photographer, that makes him wake in the middle of the night in a cold sweat, it is the never ending search for the perfect strap.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Is there even such a thing? I am sitting here looking at various straps I have laying about:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]-- one that works well in the 100 degree heat of central Texas.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]-- a narrow, flexible strap that easily doubles as a wrist strap.[/SIZE]

-- another with a wide shoulder pad that helps when shooting with a heavy legacy lens attached.

[SIZE=14pt]Straps haunt me, entice me -- they will be my doom.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Today I wish to present three more of these enticing little creatures for your enjoyment.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]First up is a leather strap from a company called Cub and Company. The strap is their Shooter Camera Strap.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt][​IMG][/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]The Shooter is a hand-made, hand-stitched full-grain leather strap that is packaged in a cloth bag with the Cub & Co logo, and mantra: "Shoot to Live; Live to Shoot."[/SIZE]

DSC01418.jpg

[SIZE=14pt]High-quality construction and feel is what makes this strap stand out. I like the rustic design, with the stitching on the ends and matching cross stitch on the neck pad contrasting with the darker leather. The one piece strap is threaded through the neck pad and really enhances the looks of the Shooter. The leather in just a few days of use took on an aged patina that gave it a vintage look. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]The leather is waterproofed with bees wax, as are the linen threads.[/SIZE]

DSC01419.jpg

[SIZE=14pt]The one caveat with the strap is the thickness of the leather lug guards. They are slightly too thick. It took a bit of work to get the rings thru the lugs on the camera due to the guards. This also somewhat inhibits the movement of the strap on the camera body.[/SIZE]

DSC01420.jpg

[SIZE=14pt]The movement will naturally free up with use, but I would have preferred just a little thinner leather. It would had provided the same protection but really made the installation and use of the strap more enjoyable. Joel Chavez, the owner of Cub and Co., indicates that new productions will have thinner leather pads for the rings.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]The Cub and Co. straps have proven to be popular, and due to nature of hand-made artistry, they are currently sold out. I am told new production is underway and more should be available soon. It's priced at a very reasonable $65, excellent for a hand-made product.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Next up is a strap system that has been out for a while from Peak Design (a kickstarter.com graduate) called the Leash and Cuff. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]https://peakdesignltd.com/leash-cuff/[/SIZE]

DSC01422.jpg

[SIZE=14pt]This camera strap/wrist strap system is unique in the method it connects to the camera. You attach an "Anchor" to the camera either using the eyelet on each side of the camera or to an optional tripod plate. This anchor quick-connects to either the Leash camera strap or to the Cuff wrist strap.[/SIZE]

DSC01424.jpg

DSC01423.jpg

[SIZE=14pt]The beauty of this system is an almost instant change from neck strap to wrist strap to no strap. A simple push on the Anchor release to from the clip on Leach or Cuff. The Anchor when inserted is impossible to pull loose. No fear here of it coming loose as long as it is snapped into place. The Leash and Cuff are both made from nylon webbing. Each are very lightweight. This makes it easy to carry the other part of the system in your pocket or camera bag. The Leach is adjustable from 19"/48cm to 60"/152 cm. Peak Designs says the Anchors are rated to hold up to 200lbs.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]There are 4 Anchors included with the Leash and two with the Cuff. One can have Anchors on multiple cameras and switch the Leach/Cuff between them. One of my desires is a system where I can quickly switch between a neck and wrist strap.The peak design meets all this but with one small problem. In use I found the Cuff system just to have one issue. The nylon webbing that goes around your wrist instead of being one solid piece is two that is joined half way in the wrist loop. I am not sure why it was designed in this manner, as this seam could possibility irritate the skin.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]The attachment system is wonderful, the general design great, it is just this one point that really prevented me from enjoying the Cuff as much as I wanted to. If that tiny thing was changed I would give this a definite 10.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]The Leash can be purchased here.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]The Cuff can be purchased here.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]That is it for this round of strap vs strap. [/SIZE]Until next time -- keep shooting!

K9GDT likes this.
  2. dorkface

dorkface Premium Member

-Return to Top-

3. makster

-Return to Top-

Thanks

Peak Design does have some great products and plates. Generally I try to review the items sent by the manufacturers and how those items can be used on the camera. But thanks for the feedback!

K9GDT likes this.
  4. dorkface

dorkface Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Sorry wasn't a criticism. It was a decent review from what you were sent. I just figured people might like to know about the plate options. I'd own one already myself but I've been trying to figure out how to mix-and-match my "ultimate strap" using parts from the peak design strap and this one from Luma Labs.

http://store.luma-labs.com/

I like the Luma Labs option to have the leather strip "membrane connector" on the bottom under the plate. But I may be worrying overmuch about the strength of the disc locks on the Peak. They say they are rated for 100 lbs.

One thing I'd really like to know is how NOISY the discs are when they aren't connected to a strap?

5. robert

robert Administrator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

Noisy? They are silent

6. Markoe

Markoe Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I just ordered the Leash and the Cuff. Thanks, now maybe I can get some sleep.

7. makster

-Return to Top-

Dantesan

No need to apologize. I am always open for feedback and input. The more I hear from our readers the better I can make the reviews. Thank you for the taking the time to respond. Have a great weekend and keep shooting!

8. 44kumasan

44kumasan New Member

-Return to Top-

I have both the leash and the cuff. One potentially small problem regarding the latter -- if you have a large hand/wrist it can be difficult to get the loop over your hand. The design is such that, when not in use with a camera, the cuff may be worn like a bracelet. An extra anchor can be attached to the slider buckle and then snapped into the anchor receptacle to keep it from dangling until needed. Again, however, with a large wrist the anchor cord is not long enough to reach the receptacle. I solved that problem by adding an extra length of cord. I agree with the reviewer's comment about the seam, although in practice I have not found it to be irritating. All in all I have been very pleased with both components.

9. wyknot

wyknot Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I haven't been able to get anything at the Cub and Co. website other than a blank page. All the links go to the right place, there just doesn't seem to be anything there.

10. Drturf

Drturf Member

-Return to Top-

Gentlemen,

Through Kickstarter, I have both V1 and V2 Capture as well as the Leash and Cuff. They are used constantly. The clips are silent and seem to be able to withstand my wear and tear. I have rather large hands, which makes the X100S difficult to handle but find no problems with the Cuff. Mind you my wrists are not overly large. The V2 Capture is great. The improvement from V1 are well founded. I have on order the POV and ProPad which I understand will be shipped in October.
    The Peak Design fellows are extremely customer orientated and will bend over backwards to make a great product.
    btw I have had many different camera slings/straps over the years and this is by far the simplest, lightest and easiest to use.

I use V1 on the X700s, V2 on my Nikon D700 and the leash/cuff on both.

11. pipetman

pipetman Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I've looked into the leash and cuff, but eventually opted for a BlackRapid strap, since I had already the sling.
    But I'm interested in the Capture V2. Would it work well with a X100 or X-E1, since the bracket seems to be rather large? Can it be comfortably worn on a regular belt (standard use case seems to be backpack strap)?

12. Drturf

Drturf Member

-Return to Top-

I also have the BlackRapid strap and the Sun-Sniper (uncuttable) and find the Leash simpler. I think I have bought and tried most of those available. Each to the own. :)

As far as the Capture; I find it great on a belt. I don't use a backpack so I wouldn't know about its use. Its not really that large. Its about 1/2 the length of the X100S so I don't consider it to be too large. You have to angle the Capture so the X100S sits comfortabley but it looks better that way IMO.

13. Joel Chavez

Joel Chavez New Member

-Return to Top-

Hey My apologies for the technical difficulties, thats strange and the first I've heard of that issue. Just wanted to let you know that the shooter straps are back in stock and available at cubandcompany.com

Thanks for the review!

Swazicar likes this.
  14. makster

-Return to Top-

Great looking strap! I recommend you looking into one.

Joel Chavez likes this.
  15. OregonGal

OregonGal Member

-Return to Top-

I haven't seen these before, thanks for posting the link. This would be a great addition to my X100.

16. Perrycas

Perrycas Member

-Return to Top-

one of the problems i have found with the xpro1 is the use of a wrist strap. In the past i had a cheap one I bought on ebay on my canon that worked fine. It attached to the right/starb'd slot for the strap and had a padded cover that went over your the back of you hand, and the strap cont'd under the camera and did up on an adjustable plate that attached to the tripod mount. Had a another thread in the bolt to attach to the tripod. It lived on my wrist and one has that big bulge on the Starb'd side of the camera where your fingers just folded around. Very comfortable, very secure. Functional.

The Xpro1, however, even with the extra grip still doesnt have much of a bulge to get your fingers around with the same wrist strap. On top of that it just isn't that functional - when wearing it, to be able to get y'r fingers up to the speed dial or across the the diaphragm ring, well it is possible if you slack the thing right off, but then it isnt secure.

This one might work, but the lack of the bulge/grip makes it a bit difficult.

17. agfa100

agfa100 New Member

-Return to Top-

Too many straps and not enough cameras, I need to fix that problem.....

18. Fujimoto

Fujimoto Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Where has this been all my life?

19. pipetman

pipetman Premium Member

-Return to Top-

A while ago, I ordered a Leash together with the Capture v2. Since the later is still backordered, the whole order didn't ship yet. I wrote them, that I'll be going on trip soon for which I'll need at least the Leash and they shipped that out right away. So, kudos to their customer service!

20. Photog310

Photog310 New Member

-Return to Top-

This would look great on my X20.