This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Ratings for Fuji files in Photo Mechanic missing in Lightroom after import.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by googlephonics, Nov 16, 2016.

1. googlephonics

googlephonics New Member

-Return to Top-

Ok, I really hope somebody can help me out. I'm phasing out of Canon and into Fuji. My workflow is: Ingest/Rate in Photo Mechanic, then import to Lightroom and do editing there. Never had a problem with this setup.

I recently bought a Fuji XT-1 and I ingest/rate the RAF files in PM but the ratings are not in Lightroom after I import to LR. I tried the "Read metadata from file" option and that didn't bring any changes whatsoever. Canon's CR2 files behave normally and ratings are all there.

I noticed that when I rate in PM, a xmp file is created with my ratings etc. Then when I import to LR the following happens:

For Canon files: the existing xmp file gets rewritten by LR, adding stuff about camera, lens, etc. Ratings that were there are left intact.

For Fuji files: the existing xmp file is left untouched. Instead, LR creates a different xmp file with info about camera, lens, etc but no "rating" value.

I have no idea where the problem lays (LR, PM or some setting in the camera itself). I've tried googling but no luck.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Beto.

2. Goldingd

Goldingd Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Ok, I was going to ask why you use PM then go to LR, but before I would embarrass myshelf, I figured I should google PM and see what it does.

So, I will not go there. Hmm, cull images before entering LR, time saver.

Looking at some articles on PM use, I see they drag files in PM to an icon for LR within the programs gUI.

You used the words "import to LR". Are you importing using LR, or are you exporting to LR using PM?

Not a PM user, first I have ever herd of it.

Some PM gurus out their?

googlephonics likes this.
  3. F2Bthere

F2Bthere Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Is it the same catalog you are using?

I suspect you have not set the preference to have LR write metadata to XMP files.

It IS working for me, so it is probably a setting issue in any case.

4. jknights

jknights Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

I found this can occur with imports into LR where there is metadata from another program.
    You need to make sure the PM metadata is exported in standard xmp format.

Have you tried a Resync Metadata command in LR?

5. googlephonics

googlephonics New Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks so much for your replies. In the end the culprit was a case-sensitive formatted hard drive.

PM creates an XMP file (all caps) while LR creates a small caps xmp. A case-sensitive volume will not let LR modify the PM XMP.

Thread that solved it: Ratings for Fuji files in Photo Mechanic missin... |Adobe Community

Posting in case it helps someone else in the future.

Thanks again!

F2Bthere and jknights like this.
  6. jknights

jknights Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

Useful information.
    I will check how things are on my Mac when I get home as I am in Asia at present. I havent noticed this problem so I guess that I have a Mac journaled case in-senstive formatted set of drives.

7. yendikeno

yendikeno Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thank you for taking the time to follow up with the answer. That may prove helpful for someone else.