This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

recent xpro1 purchase and auto focus

Discussion in 'X-Pro2 and X-Pro1' started by mark young, Mar 19, 2017.

1. mark young

mark young New Member

-Return to Top-

I made the firmware upgrades to present. Did an auto focus test. Put the 35mm 2.0 on f2 began walking toward a still subject at 3fps. To my surprise all the frames were in focus from the first to the last. This indicates that there is some focusing happening between frames at continuous shooting?, and with drive set to single shot, not continuous (on camera body). Hmmmm maybe that was part of the firmware updates at some point in the firmware history. Obviously a huge discovery for the street shooting i do.

2. beakhammer

beakhammer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

With some of the Fuji models I know that focusing between frames works at 3fps and does not at 6fps. I never had much luck with continuous AF on my X-Pro1, but single frame AF is decent, especially with newer lenses.

3. beakhammer

-Return to Top-

A good tip for using AF in street shooting is to set the single-point AF square so it is aimed at the ground at the feet of the subject(s) when the scene is framed more or less as you want it. This avoids the problem of the camera mistakenly focusing on the background, as may happen when you focus on a torso or head, by forcing the camera to focus on the background, but at the correct distance. I find that this trick makes AF sometimes faster, less prone to error, and it frees me up to adjust the framing a bit on the fly without worrying about missing focus badly. Often the contrast provided by the subject's feet against the street gives the CDAF something to bite into when the light gets low or flat.

Immanuel likes this.
  4. mark young

mark young New Member

-Return to Top-

That focusing between frames is amazing, wonder why this doesn't get much mention ...extremely useful for me.

5. beakhammer

-Return to Top-

The people that pay a lot of attention to these specifications are mostly interested in the newest models of camera. When the X-Pro1 was a brand new camera it had some AF issues and so people who cared a lot about AF ignored the X-Pro1, or heaped scorn on it. I am not one of those people. I bought an X-Pro1 around 4 years ago, but it had already had a significant firmware upgrade by then and seemed pretty good to me because it replaced my 10 year old DSLRs, which weren't any faster, and were nowhere near as precise. In addition, coming from an old-school mechanical film-camera background, I tend to use manual modes a lot. I don't choose a camera based on it's AF performance. Fast AF is nice, but it is way down on the list of things I look for in a camera.

6. boulevardier

boulevardier Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I agree, being a manual focus and exposure type of photographer, when I use AF it's centre spot only. I would like to see Fuji lenses with a focusing tab, like rangefinder lenses. Street and candid photographers usually work in a couple of zones, and the tab position intuitively tells the user whether he's close up or focused further away. I'm not sure focus by wire systems with their continuous orbit are suitable for fixed position tabs.

7. Threaded

Threaded Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

This is a very interesting find - I don't have any of the newer f2 lenses to try, but I did experiment with my 35 f1.4 to see if I could repeat this (with my X-Pro1 updated to 3.70, on 3fps) and unfortunately it was quite obvious there was no focussing between frames whatsoever, either on single shot or continuous AF. So I wonder whether this is something that's only possible with the later lenses?

8. mark young

mark young New Member

-Return to Top-

if you have a chance to experiment with other lenses you have...let me know, thanks.