This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Wrong exposure

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Thue, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Thue

Thue New Member

-Return to Top-

Hey.
    Hope you can help, because my pictures are getting way to bright. I have a X100 with an update 2.21. In Auto-mode it works perfect and if I adjust the shutter speed, it will regulate with the aperture and ISO, for making a right exposed picture. The problem is when I go manual at my aperture ring, then the pictures get too bright.

I've added five pictures, where I go from
    1) "Auto Aperture, ISO 800, Auto Shuttter"
    2) "2.0, ISO 800, A"
    3) "2.8, ISO 800, A"
    4) "4, ISO 800, A"
    5) 8, ISO 800, A

Shouldn't my camera take a slower shutter speed, but expose the picture correct (+0)??? What could be wrong? my settings? or something mecanical?

Hope you can help, thanks!

DSCF1138.jpg

DSCF1139.jpeg

DSCF1140.jpeg

DSCF1141.jpeg

DSCF1142.jpeg

2. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric

-Return to Top-

If you go to manual the camera will use whatever settings you select. That is what manual is - manual.
    I think you are choosing settings that over expose.

lawsofphysics likes this.
  3. Goldingd

Goldingd Premium Member

-Return to Top-

(Edited for spelling embarrassments and an follow-up)Actually, he is not the n manual, he is allowing the camera to adjust the shutter.

Question, without me saving the images and then looking at the metadata, not at a pic just now, what were the resultant shutter speeds?

Follow-up

Ok got off by butt, got on a PC to look at metadata, but, nope, metadata striped, no F-stop, ISO or Shutter speed info.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  4. JD_Bugs

JD_Bugs Active Member

-Return to Top-

Yes, check the exif data for each image and see if the shutter speed is changing.

5. Goldingd

Goldingd Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Someone with an x100, is bracketing limited to 3 shots? (Ok, read a manual, only 3 shots, so not bracketing ) Somehow the progression of the above shots seems wrong, why indeed would an overexposure be occurring. If somehow the shutter is not changing then an underexposure would occur, my logic all screwy? Hmmm, something is being overlooked.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  6. Goldingd

Goldingd Premium Member

-Return to Top-

OP, please open your images in LR (or whatever post processing app you use) and write down the f-stop, ISO, and shutter speed for each image, and report back. Somehow this all looks a bit backwards. Scratch head.

7. DanGleabols

DanGleabols Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Isn't there a batch of x100 with aperture problems, oil or something.... An aperture that was stuck and not closing down would cause this issue. The camera would be setting the shutter speed and iso for the set aperture but then the picture is taken at f2. I can't tell on my phone if the dof increases across the set of pics. Technically, it should also happen in full auto mode too. However, if you use the x100 anything like I used to then 9/10 times the camera would set the aperture wide open if left to its own devices!

Goldingd likes this.
  8. dem

dem Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Looks like SAB - sticky aperture blades. The camera needs to be serviced.

Goldingd likes this.
  9. Goldingd

Goldingd Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Ahh, interesting, that leads to the following link via google searching:

Buying a Used X100 – How to Avoid Sticky Aperture Blade

Note that the article talks about some possible copies that mighty have a problem based on S/N

and

10. streetsntravel

streetsntravel Premium Member

-Return to Top-

This has the look of the SAB, Sticky Aperture Blade, syndrome that plagued the early X100. We would need to see the pertinent EXIF data to be sure but Dan is on the right track. This looks like a fortuitous choice of f/2 to begin the sequence and the camera does it right, now continually setting the camera at smaller apertures and the camera is increasing shutter speed to compensate for the user setting, but the lens is unable to perform the stopping down action to make it all right. My X100 was beset by SAB on an important trip and I was able to salvage some photo ops by setting the camera to f/2, appropriate ISO and hoping max shutter speed would get it right, later realized you could also use the built in ND filter to extend the picture taking conditions. It wasn't till after that trip when I was "back on the net" that I discovered that my camera was one of the chosen.

If that is indeed the problem, it is fixable. Mine was fixed under warranty and is still working, but failing for other reasons now after 1000s of pictures. It may be now that repair is certainly out of warranty and costs may be more than a replacement camera.

I don't want to cause angst to the OP, but full info could help sort this out.

Roger

11. tbhv55

tbhv55 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Yes, I agree with the previous comments ... this looks like SAB. It's pretty much identical to the behaviour displayed by my x100, which resulted in it going back to Fuji for a SAB repair around four years ago.

12. bjorke

bjorke Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I didn't realize this was a tech discussion, I looked at the pix and thought you were downing Guinness until blind....

13. roalk

roalk Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The depth of field in all the images appears to be identical. To me this supports the theory about it being a sticky aperture blade problem!

tbhv55 likes this.
  14. tbhv55

tbhv55 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Yes, the identical DoF was something that I observed when I was testing my x100 for SAB - and the OP's images show the same characteristics.

15. Thue

Thue New Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks a lot for the answers! There is no doubt it's the sticky aperture blade issue..
    My camera doesn't move the blade at all :/ only works in auto mode, where it typical chooses 2.0.

Here are the shutter numbers: (all shot in auto shutterspeed)

1) "Auto Aperture, ISO 800, Auto Shuttter" - 1/90
    2) "2.0, ISO 800, A" - 1/90
    3) "2.8, ISO 800, A" - 1/50
    4) "4, ISO 800, A" - 1/25
    5) 8, ISO 800, A - 1/6

The question is if I only can use it in Auto mode from now on or if it can be fixed (a tutorial or something) or the only way is past the fuji office??? Getting it fixed by Fuji, would cost a lot of money, right?
    I have the receipt, but from the old owner.. maybe its possible for him to hand in and get the warranty

16. Ozarks

Ozarks Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

@streetsntravel is correct. That looks like what I experienced with sticky aperture blades on my X100. I bought it from KEH and they quickly accepted a return.
    Repair could be costly, @Thue, so you're left with getting it repaired or using it at f/2 and faster shutter speeds and/or the neutral density filter. It's still good at f/2, but what a bummer. If you just bought it recently may you can get a refund.

17. streetsntravel

streetsntravel Premium Member

-Return to Top-

IIRC, the problem showed up around 2000 frames. At the time the net was abuzz with a search of serial numbers, shutter counts, etc. It was a while before Fuji acknowledged the problem, but then there was that preponderance of data.

At this point, maybe a phone call to Fuji. Not all Fuji locations are as friendly as others. I'm really sorry you have to thread yourself through all this, so much uncertainty and my experience is unfortunately tainted by one particularly unpleasant individual - someone who shouldn't be working in any customer interfacing position, anywhere. I wish you the best, but if it is going to require the cooperation of someone else, I'd try to do it as quickly and as openly as possible. If there are any roadblock discoveries to be made, it might as well be now than later.

Roger

18. tbhv55

tbhv55 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

On a more positive note - and counter to the service that streetsntravel suffered - Fuji UK's response was commendable when I sent my x100 in for SAB... I couldn't fault them.

This doesn't, of course, alter the facts of streetsntravel's experience, and I have certainly heard some horror stories elsewhere on this matter, so the situation is not uniform across all Fuji locations.

19. DanGleabols

DanGleabols Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

@Thue it's definitely worth contacting Fuji about getting an idea about the price of repair.

Using it in the mean time, your better off using a setting where you control the aperture (aperture priority/manual etc) but leave the aperture set at f2. Auto isn't going to be reliable, as soon as you try and use the x100 in good lighting (outside) you'll probably find it'll then try and use smaller aperture sizes and your exposure goes astray.

20. Thue

Thue New Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks for the help. I'm going to repair it at Fuji. Just want to tell you that in Denmark the cost for SAB is 1000DK and it's around 133€. Thanks again!