This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

X-E1 Firmware Update Wishlist

Discussion in 'X-E1, X-E2, and X-E2S' started by Rodchenko, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Rodchenko

Rodchenko Member

-Return to Top-

I'm having a blast with the X-E1, it really is the kind of camera I was waiting for. Then again, there are some things that I would like to see changed or updated. So I thought we could share in this thread what updates or changes we would like to see in future firmware releases for the camera. Remember, just things that you believe can actually be done via firmware. Who knows, maybe Fuji is listening...

I'll start:

• Proper exposure preview: now it only updates when you half-press the release and you can't change exposure like that. Why not just show in real time the exposure adjustments?
    • Focus confirmation when you use AutoFocus (AE-L / AF-L button) in Manual Focus mode. Why doesn't the box flash in green as in AutoFocus mode?
    • Here's a big one (for me at least): updated Auto-ISO. Let us select a minimum shutter speed and ideally set a selectable Shutter speed to focal length ratio.
    • The viewfinder has a much higher refresh rate when you keep the release button half-pressed. Give us that performance full-time!
    • The AF in AF-C performs much better in low light than in AF-S. I know that probably involves losing some precision but I'm willing to accept that (or give us the option to choose).
    • Flash compensation... I'd like to be able to go to 2 full stops.

Let's see your ideas!

Westmill likes this.
  2. mccalltd

mccalltd New Member

-Return to Top-

I'll add and reinforce some:

• Setting auto ISO min shutter is a must!
    • Would like the FN button to be able to bring the AF point selection screen; and would like to spin the control wheel in the back to change focus point.
    • Allowing exposure shift after locking with the AE-L button; e.g.: I lock exposure, then turn the shutter or aperture rings and the camera adjusts the other param. Maybe this is tricky for Fuji engineers because of auto ISO.
    • If using auto ISO in manual mode (I set aperture and shutter), let the exposure compensation dial affect the ISO the camera selects.

Frankly, I think the camera is pretty good as is. It has its quirks, but it's just a camera after all. Learn to work with it and the problems go away.

The biggest improvement Fuji can make to the system is to use the new linear motor in all their new lenses and in a mark ii of their current lenses. Those noisy primes make the camera feel cheap, IMO. I have the 18-55 and the silent focusing not only leaves a nicer impression, but it makes me, the photographer, much less conspicuous around the house or in quiet spaces.

3. mrgooch

mrgooch Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Were overdue for an update.

4. Arjay

Arjay Admin Staff Member

-Return to Top-

All of this is very much dependent on Fuji's point of view. The camera has barely been available in larger numbers in all stores. I'm fairly sure that Fuji will at least wait until there really are enough cameras out with users before they'll start evaluating customer feedback.

Let's collect ideas, but not expect any FW update before the camera has been available on the market for at least three months.

5. m.hermann

m.hermann Member

-Return to Top-

I like the in-camera Raw conversion a lot but the process could easily (?) be streamlined:
    • I would love to load my custom settings into the Raw converter instead of having to go through each menu item to adjust my image.
    • I want to be able to apply my settings to a number of images at once (selecting them like in the Erase function).
    • After I have previewed a developed picture and press back, i want the menu selection to be at the parameter I last changed.
    • After I press OK to accept the developed picture it should be saved with a filename that puts it right after the original Raw image, not at the end, so I can move on on to the next picture.
    Marc

stando and earthpulse like this.
  6. philg

philg Member

-Return to Top-

Focus peaking please,would make using my Konica AR lens a nicer experience.

zephyr2013 likes this.
  7. mccalltd

mccalltd New Member

-Return to Top-

So to amend this somewhat, what would be an amazingly useful feature would be:
    • Have a nine point AF selection mode like in older Canon DSLRs, in addition to the big grid mode. http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/tech/report/2010/03/img/zu_01.gif
    • Use the FN button to bring up this nine point selection mode.
    • Use the control wheel to select from these points by spinning right to move clockwise around the outer points, spinning left to move counterclockwise, and pushing in to select the center point.
    This would be an amazing enhancement, IMO. I could select the most useful point (for me) without taking my eye from the finder or my hands out of position, and I could do so in a fraction of a second. This could also work with the OVF in the X-Pro.

earthpulse likes this.
  8. Gary S.

Gary S. New Member

-Return to Top-

Nice feature: the electrical release through a 2.5mm jack, simply compatible with Canon and Pentax remotes.
    Less nice: you can control focusing alone, but you can’t release the shutter without focusing again. Not always what you wish.

What is the point in having separate functions if you can't use them separately? That looks like a bug, which should be easily corrected in the next firmware release.

9. Tony C.

Tony C. New Member

-Return to Top-

Fix the auto-focus so that it doesn't hunt to no avail when viewing the sky.

10. robk47

robk47 New Member

-Return to Top-

When in drive mode, I would like to not see the images I just shot flash through the EVF, but rather be able to start on my next shot immediately.

11. rattymouse

rattymouse Premium Member

-Return to Top-

your last point above is absolutely mandatory to make the in-camera RAW converter even slightly useful. It is stunning that Fujifilm did not design this software as you suggest. Processing many images in-camera as it currently is, is a terrible experience.

The in-camera converter produces excellent results and I really love using it, but I shoot a lot of images and the pain from all that cycling through them makes me curse Fujifilm's name a LOT.

I'll never believe Fuji is serious about their cameras when glaring errors such as this are allowed to exist for years (the X100 has this problem too).

earthpulse likes this.
  12. Digi1

Digi1 Member

-Return to Top-

I think that camera manufacturers, not only Fuji, are a bit cynical when releasing new models. Their testing must surely show up at least some of the deficiencies listed here but they go ahead anyway and release the camera "prematurely". It seems to me that they rely on the early buyers to be testers and discover the problems for which they then cobble together fixes and updates. The X-E1 seems to have a larger-than-reasonable number of issues in my own experience and in the views of others here. It's a good camera but somewhat frustrating, and could have been great with a bit more work from Fuji. In fairness, the Fuji colour management is great, far better than the 4/3 Panasonics I have owned.

13. mkovaliv

mkovaliv New Member

-Return to Top-

I've only had my X-E1 a few weeks but would like to see a couple of changes in the firmware:

1 - I agree it would be very usefull to be able to activate the AF point selection with your right hand. Pressing the rear wheel would be my first choice as right now it does nothing in shooting mode and this would leave the function button free. With the 18-55 attached you have to remove your hand from zooming to select an AF point. Not a big deal with a prime but inconvenient with a zoom.

2 - When the playback display is set to "Detail Information", it would be more usefull if one press of the "Drive or Zoom In button" took you to 100% zoom instead of what it does now, 100% then jumps to 110% or so. I'd like to see the detailed view and then with one click see the actual framing full screen.

3 - Adding a "My Menu" like Canon has to assign your favorite six or seven menu items to one press of the "Menu" button. This would make it much easier to get to items like Multi Exposure and Flash Exposure Compensation for example.

4 - Allow you to set a Custom and Kelvin WB from the "Q" menu. Again, pressing the rear wheel could do this as it's currently not assigned.

These are small things that would be great additions to the user experience. Overall though I'm extremely happy with the X system, the images are rich and dynamic and the camera is a joy to carry and use. In fact it's with me all the time!

14. SausalitoDog

SausalitoDog Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Fix the *&^% camera raw only so it will convert properly with photoshop!

It is totally inexcusable to allow this to go even this long without a fix - it's obviously a lame mistake on Fuji's end and should be fixed immediately.

15. AsylumPHoto

AsylumPHoto Premium Member

-Return to Top-

My only two wants, other than the general "better this, or that"

- Auto ISO min shutter settings. Even if it's just a slider like on some Nikons
    - WYSIWYG EVF, specifically during manual exposure

---

Re RAW, that won't be effected by firmware updates. Fuji needs to hand over their demosaicing calculations to Adobe, etc. Which, reportedly they have, but we have yet to see any results.

16. Kit_L

Kit_L Member

-Return to Top-

I did not realise that this thread already existed, so perhaps the moderator cold delete my new post from today on this subject. I will repost it here:

Love the camera. Three items will benefit from urgent revision, IMHO:

1. capacity to set in-camera flash output to -2.0EV, in 1/3EV increments, as most other cameras can (the E-E1 is limited to a minimum of -2/3 EV, which is still too much for even harsh sunlight, if a natural look is desired. I usually use -1.3EV as fill on other camera, and (IIRC) the X-100's fill works perfectly on AUTO; I do not recall if the fill flash ratio can be set.

2. The self timer controls need to be added to the Drive menu (presently it lives on the first page of the Camera menu and the bottom left of the Quick button's options). No problem with that, but button selected options appeal to me.

3. Small JPEG plus RAW as an additional option in Image Size.

Apart form that, all good.

earthpulse likes this.
  17. bigal1000

bigal1000 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

What is WYSIWYG EVF

18. deanmessenger

deanmessenger Active Member

-Return to Top-

agree about the rear wheel, far to underused in shooting mode. option to select by click. ISO, bracketing, etc then scroll left or right to change the chosen parameter, its in ideal spot for the thumb and poorly used. also dof preview on this would be better option on this, image preview on the LCD would be nice too, through the evf to small to really se eand having to switch to play mode isnt really great.
    and ISO down to at least 100 in RAW please both manual and auto option.

19. aweidenhammer

aweidenhammer New Member

-Return to Top-

My biggest request would be expanded bracketing options, to include shutter speed bracketing with 5 or 7 exposures at +-2EV per step. I'm into hdr panos, and would love to have the option to use this camera for my work, but as it stands, I am forced back to my older canon dslr for this one thing. My dslr is hooked into my android tablet to have a fully automated set of exposures. Unfortunately, the ole eos is nowhere close to as sharp as my X-E1.

Other than that, having a min shutter speed in Auto would be my 2nd place.

Andrew

20. deanmessenger

deanmessenger Active Member

-Return to Top-

seems your blaming fuji for what is clearly adobes problem. The Xtrans Sensor is fantastic and produces amazing image quality but as DSLR's have used the Bayer sensor format since day 1 , the new Trans-X sensor is going to require a total rewrite from the likes of adobe to ensure true RAF compatibility. hardly fuji's fault for releasing a sensor of this innovative quality and Adobe have been aware and had the sensors shematics for a couple of years now but have been loathe to spend 100's of man hours of programming on a sensor format that could just as easily within 6 months sunk into obscurity.

seems you have no grasp of the issues regarding the Xtrans Sensor and software coding

forgot to add, built in intervalometer would be awesome!