This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

X-E2

Discussion in 'X-E1, X-E2, and X-E2S' started by Warwick, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Warwick

Warwick Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

So, how long do we think before an X-E2 or an XPro2, with the X100s's hybrid focussing, focus peaking etc? A year? Less? And who's planning to put their existing cameras on EBay when that happens?

2. Jesper Frickmann

Jesper Frickmann New Member

-Return to Top-

I was exactly one week away from ordering an X-E1 so I could have it for my b-day. I have been wanting to upgrade to something better than my Sony superzoom, and I have been watching the mirrorless market for a while. It was between NEX 6 and X-E1. I had finally decided that the superb IQ, sweet glass and nice retro design + handling was worth the slower AF and less video quality + $400 extra. Then X100s comes out, showing that they already have the technology for addressing the weak points of XE1! I guess I will just wait a little longer and let the good engineers at Fuji port this brave new tech to the X-E1 succesor. Can we hope for September maybe?

3. David Schneider

David Schneider Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Like most, I have no idea, but I would put my name on a list to purchase an X-E2 without much hesitation. And X-E2 can only be better than an X-E1 and that's a pretty good little camera. But at the moment, I'd rather Fuji concentrate on getting the longer zoom on the market.

4. pkincy

pkincy Member

-Return to Top-

X-E2 is vaporware. If you want an incredible interchangeable lens camera buy the X-E1. You will be able to shoot 10,000 images with it before the X-E2 comes out. And after 10,000 images you will have learned how a CDAF camera focuses and you won't need PDAF as a focusing crutch any longer.

The camera and lens are here. Use them and enjoy.

5. philg

philg Member

-Return to Top-

That was quick,I`ve just pick up my X-E1.
    Mind you it`s already back in the shop,turned up with a very dirty sensor and something is definitely wrong as the image quality was,well how can I say it,not good.
    I have just changed from Canon to Fuji,so I will be buying the X-E2 when she comes along.

6. AsylumPHoto

AsylumPHoto Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I think we'll see X-Pro2 at the end of the year. And X-E2 early next year.

Those are just guesses on my part. :)

7. Westmill

Westmill Premium Member

-Return to Top-

X E2 lol XE1 is a new camera. Some folk are still waiting on delivery I think :) Im not sure if thats funny or a little sad lol. I for one do not intend holding my breath waiting :)

stefano60 and philg like this.
  8. Warwick

Warwick Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

It's what you get for being an early adopter of a rapidly-evolving technology. Mirrorless cameras themselves are pretty new, and Fuji seems to be storming ahead with innovation now, to the extent that a lot of people still haven't got their eagerly-awaited new model yet and a lot of what it does has been superseded already. Which is mildly irritating one one level, when you've just paid out your hard-earned money - but on another level it confirms your faith in having bought into the system, when there are so many advances coming out so quickly. And the interesting thing is, Fuji seem to be directly answering users' questions and issues. Look at any list of niggles on the XPro1 or X-E1 published in the last few months, and then look at the new spec-list for the X100s: spooky, eh? So I'm glad I got my X-E1. Whereas my Nikon1 V1 before it was just a mistake. My last film camera was an Olympus OM4. Then when the Nikon D100 came out I got that, and then upgraded to the D200 the first week they were out. Then I saw Nikon were moving into mirrorless, and I imagined I'd get the same sort of performance in a pocketable package. I was wrong. And then they had no lens roadmap or product roadmap to speak of, and didn't seem to pay any attention to what ex-DSLR users wanted, or supporting their early adopters, and in the end I sold up, just in time for the X-E1, with its superb lenses and proper aperture ring and shutter-speed dial. And just as Nikon came out with the pig-ugly Nikon1 V2 - and still no decent prime lenses! I'm rambling. But I think what I'm saying is that Illl upgrade when new models come along, but I really like and believe in the Fuji Xsystem and I think I'll be with it for quite some time.My only consolation for the Nikon 1 was that I got it and its lenses and flash for free: I bought it on the first day it came out and put my name into a raffle in the shop, and my name came up and so I got all my money back.

9. Westmill

Westmill Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I know and understand what you are saying. The E1 is a great bit of kit though. There maybe a few improvements to come via downloads but I dont think there will be an E2 for quite some time. As it stands it will be the entry point in a great and fast becoming an even greater system. The Xpro 2 will be outstanding. There will be a very large price difference in the E1 and Pro 2 when it comes out. My E1 will make a perfect and great backup camera to the Pro 2. Look how long the D300 has been around. This I think will be the E1s role. The Pro 2 is obviously going to be the flagship. My plan at the moment is to invest in fuji lenses etc. I am happy enough with the E1 at the moment. This way I will not ever feel any money was waisted anywhere. :)

DavidReid likes this.
  10. Tailwagger

Tailwagger Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The moment I consider any camera with interchangeable lens capability, I'm not buying a body, I'm buying into a system and a fairly long term commitment. This has happened only 4 times in my life. The last change occurred when I dropped Nikon for Canon at the dawn of the digital age. The real motivation wasn't the bodies, though at the time Canon's were superior, but rather the lens family which offered far more flexibility and value than did Nikon. Now all my Canon bodies are all on the block, though I'm keeping the lenses to see if they produce a 'medium format 35mm similar to the D800E. As tempting as that camera might be, its a non-starter given buying it would mean yet another very expensive family switch.

Beyond the obvious goodness that called to me emotionally to Fuji, my intellectual side was willing to make the jump to the X System because all the drawbacks and criticisms level at these cameras has been mostly about the bodies. While the lens system might not be the finest nor most wide ranging optics obtainable, you can make a pretty strong argument that the X system certainly takes the prize for best price/performance tradeoff available today. Good lenses are forever; bodies, at least digital ones, are for trash cans. How many people are seriously using digital cameras that are over 5 years old? Yet quite a few people have bought X bodies to mount lenses that in some cases are well over 50 years old.

So will I jump on the next XE? Perhaps. I tend to skip a generation so it might be an X-E3, but certainly, assuming their commitment to excellence and improvement continues, there's not a shred of doubt that I will be moving along with the Fuji APS-C based systems for some time to come.

gregro, ddb, spivey and 1 other person like this.
  11. Fabian Schindler

Fabian Schindler New Member

-Return to Top-

We will have to wait for quite some time until we will see an X-E1s or X-E2. The X-E1 is pretty new and Fuji has to earn the money, they invested into the development of the X-E1 before even considering to launch a successor. Thus they probably will sell the X-E1 for as long as possible. Furthermore, they will have to concentrate on their lens-roadmap now - the 14mm is overdue, other lenses are on the horizon. Thus I don't think that there will be any successor anounced before summer 2014.

12. joe aka back alley

joe aka back alley Premium Member

-Return to Top-

the x100s isn't even available yet..
    buy what you want now and enjoy it...the x-e1 is a great camera, better than most photographers...and there will likely be some firmware upgrades, like focus peaking, coming soon.

stefano60 and archi*dss like this.
  13. Pixor

Pixor Member

-Return to Top-

I don't understand why anyone would wait for an XE-2. That's a year or more without a great camera, for what? Different autofocus that might not be any faster with he X mount lenses?

Djarot Sumantri and stefano60 like this.
  14. deanmessenger

deanmessenger Active Member

-Return to Top-

if fuji were to release an x-e2 within less than a year i would just return to them my xe-1 and demand a free upgrade to the x-e2. i havent just spent over £1100 on a camera only to have it blown outa the water by shiny new version before ive even had a chance to fire off a few shots. Fuji would be up the neck in complaints if any kind of xe1 upgrade came out within a year. maybe 2-3 years down the line, with the xpro 1 getting upgrade in 1 year -18 months first as this been out for a year or so now

Bijan likes this.
  15. Arjay

Arjay Admin Staff Member

-Return to Top-

Oh my - this argumentation has been around ever since manufacturers introduced product evolution via successive hardware versions.

Any new product's price includes some cost of opportunity. If you don't use the opportunity (i.e. use your camera to take pictures), you'll one day be surprised by some better model at a comparable price, and you'll be wondering if you haven't wasted your money. You're creating value by using it - if you don't, don't blame the manufacturer.

Of course, you could always wait for the next - presumed better - model. But since there will always be a next, better model, you might wait forever.

Or in other words: Don't buy a new camera if you don't need it. If you need it, buy it AND use it. It won't gain value by sitting on your shelf.

16. iPretz

iPretz New Member

-Return to Top-

Well said.

17. rocky cosmos

rocky cosmos New Member

-Return to Top-

The argument about buying into a system and investing in lenses makes a lot of sense to me. I'm not really sweating about an X-E2 coming out after I just bought an X-E1. But I am wondering if Fuji eventually offers an X camera with a full-frame sensor (which seems like a distinct possibility), whether the existing XF lenses will work on a FF sensor camera (with the obvious adjustment in focal length). And would they work optimally?

18. joe aka back alley

joe aka back alley Premium Member

-Return to Top-

fuji has said that the current x lenses are not suitable for full frame...i doubt that they will add a full frame body ever.
    one of the reasons for the trans x sensor is to match ff quality...

Westmill likes this.
  19. Westmill

Westmill Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The lenses are too small to work on full frame. However its possable that the full frame could have a DX feature like Nikon full frame cameras. I have doubts that fuji has even thought of full frame though. I think it will be a few years yet if they do. Although I am happy with the quality of the X APSC for now. :)

20. MCG

MCG New Member

-Return to Top-

I'm buying a new x-e1 on my lunch break tomorrow. I can't wait for a year for a possible feature bumped x-e2, without a proper camera (sold my x100 two weeks ago) and trying to everything with my iPhone.