This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

X-T1 Altitude Issues

Discussion in 'X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10' started by Monako, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Monako

Monako New Member

-Return to Top-

Hi all,

new to this forum because I have an altitude issue with my X-T1.
    Starting at about 1.500 meters above sea level, the Q-button and OK-button become unreliable.
    At higher altitudes the buttons do not respond at all.
    The phenomena vanishes again at lower altitudes.
    Camera has seen a repair into the matter but the problem persists.

Does anybody know of similar experiences?

Thanks in advance for any input,
    Dirk.

2. ZaltysZ

ZaltysZ Member

-Return to Top-

Have you tried removing lens at that altitude? Maybe your XT1 is really well sealed with all these gaskets, and they don't allow air pressure inside the camera to equalize with outside of it, making buttons hard to press.

3. Monako

Monako New Member

-Return to Top-

Yes, have tried lens removal and opening all lids but it did not help. Is there maybe a very tightly sealed core unit that lacks an opening?

4. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric

-Return to Top-

I have used my X--T1 at about 1850 meters (as high as you can go in this state) with no problems. I have also used my X100s at the same altitude with no issues.

5. rod.kendall

rod.kendall Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I am not sure how much this will help you, but it certainly helps me...

Let me explain: Years ago I had a Minolta camera and at high altitude (above 3000m or so) the jpegs were increasingly saved just as a frame of black/white noise. Raw images were fine. Whenever I returned to lower altitudes, the problem went away. I thought I was going crazy. However it did not bother me much as I was mostly shooting raw even then.

Cameras are complex machines and the atmospheric pressure can affect their circuits and components if they are not properly sealed. A very difficult problem to debug, especially since the repair would be best performed on a high mountain :).

As I said at the beginning, this helps me more than you. At least now I know that I am not alone and that I was not seeing things.

The problem is probably with some circuit component and not with any switch or button. Hard to demonstrate to the repair technician. Good luck with the repair if you decide to follow this route.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  6. JeffLiban

JeffLiban Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

No problems with my X-T10 at 2400m, perhaps your X-T1 was too warm compared to the environment? I followed people advice in this forum for skiing with a Fuji x camera, just put it in a backpack so the temperature difference is minimal when you take it out.

7. Monako

Monako New Member

-Return to Top-

Camera will finally travel to Fuji service tomorrow.
    Will keep this forum informed on the outcome.

8. TheEmrys

TheEmrys Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I live at about 5,000 feet (about 1500m), and the delete button has issues when I try to format cards. Mever thought it was altitude related. I will try more out when I am at 8,000-12,000 feet this weekend.

This is on an XT-2.

9. YogiMik

YogiMik Premium Member

-Return to Top-

No prob with x-pro 2 on 5.500 m. Appart from Wasabi battery swell and causing mulfunction of the cam. OEM & ExPro white edition batts performed well. Did not use Delete button.

10. Arjay

Arjay Admin Staff Member

-Return to Top-

I wonder if the OP's altitude problem isn't related with ambient temperature. Low temperatures can affect the elasticity of the rubber material which makes the buttons click*. If the temperature is low enough, these switch components can in extreme cases become hard and make switch actuation impossible.

* Did you ever disassemble a computer keyboard? Most of these keyboards are based on the same functional principle as your camera's clicky buttons: They use an elastic plastic material to provide both the spring and the click function. Being plastic, the elasticity of this material is very much dependent on ambient temperature. The same is true for the buttons on your camera.

11. Richard_R

-Return to Top-

The manual lists an operating temperature range of -10C to +40C (+14F - +104F). I suspect that at 1500 metres the OP was well within that range otherwise he would have mentioned temperature as a factor. 1500 metres above sea level is not particularly high. Even here on the flattest continent on the planet we have quite a large area of land (1.2 million acres or 5200 square km) between 1500 metres 2200 metres which is the highest point. I would be very concerned to think that any camera had an inherent operating issue at such a low altitude.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  12. JeffLiban

-Return to Top-

Yep!
    Cars starts to struggle starting 2000m, this was the case at the Cedars road in Mount Lebanon between 2000 and 2500m, my car was struggling so I had to change gear to 2 to get a reasonable rpm, so perhaps all mechanic parts can behave differently given the air pressure, but at 1500m there are no problem at all, it's like high altitude sickness for humans above 2200m all of a sudden

13. Richard_R

-Return to Top-

Must have been a car with a carburetor rather than fuel injection.

14. JeffLiban

-Return to Top-

Hahaha no it happened with all my previous injection cars too, now I don't have a +150hp or US muscle car just a Citroen DS3 120hp but it's a small and light car like the Mini Cooper (and same engine btw)

15. TheEmrys

TheEmrys Premium Member

-Return to Top-

At elevation, the oxygen level is so low,that it causes a massive reduction in power. The lower oxygen level causes for lower fuel amounts to be mixed to maintain a proper ratio mix. My +200 HP Subaru on super unleaded will be down to 40hp or so. My 175 hp Subaru gets down around 30hp at 12,000 feet.