This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

X-T1 L-Bracket?

Discussion in 'X-T1 and X-T10' started by RonSmith, Feb 9, 2014.

1. RonSmith

RonSmith Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Any word from RRS about an L-Bracket for the X-T1?

Alternatively, does any know if their L-Bracket for the X-E1 will work until they come out with one?

Thanks!

2. apsphoto

apsphoto Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I doubt the X-E2 will work, that is just a guess. I am sure they will make one, they seem to support the Fuji, so hopefully they will do one quickly, does not hurt to put in a request. The more requests they get, the more likely they will have incentive to get one done timely.

Alan

3. RonSmith

RonSmith Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Good idea, Alan. I just sent them an e-mail and received an automated response with a Case Number, indicating that someone from customer support will get back to me.

I'll post what I hear from them.

Ron

4. Richard_R

Richard_R Just me

-Return to Top-

There are plenty of generic ones around. All the OP has to do is some research.

5. etrigan63

etrigan63 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The real question is will they make one for the X-T1 + Grip? They have not done so for the E-M1 or A7/A7r. They only have a bottom plate for the A7/A7r + Grip with no option to "L" it.

6. sunnysideup

sunnysideup Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Do L brackets generally work well when the camera has bays on both sides? How does the vertical part of the bracket not block the bay door from opening?

7. RonSmith

RonSmith Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The vertical portion has an opening allowing access to the ports on the left side of the body.

8. etrigan63

etrigan63 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

L-brackets place the vertical part on the left side of the camera, not the right where the shutter release generally is. How it interferes with the door(s) on the left side of the camera depends on the design of the doors. I have seen U-shaped and C-shaped brackets (along with the more traditional O-shaped brackets) used for the vertical component. iShoot has a bracket for the X-E1/2 that allows the left side door to be opened but you have to slip something pretty thin in there to pop it open. How this can be done with an X-T1 remains to be seen.

9. Mapleleaf14

Mapleleaf14 Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I for one hope somebody out there makes an L-Bracket for the X-T1 with vertical grip. I have a Kirk Enterprises L-Bracket on my Nikon D4 and it is wonderful...gives me Arca-Swiss compatibily in both landscape and portrait formats, but doesn't interfere at all with shooting handheld in either format.

I'm going to contact both them and RRS to put a request in.

I also saw these two "Universal L-Brackets" from ProMediaGear that might work...I had one of theirs for my old Nikon D7000 and it was actually a pretty nice quality piece of kit...

a 3-inch version - http://www.promediagear.com/3-inch-Universal-L-Bracket_p_134.html

and a 4-inch version - http://www.promediagear.com/4-inch-Universal-L-Bracket-_p_135.html

10. etrigan63

etrigan63 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Tell me how and I will second that request.

11. Mapleleaf14

-Return to Top-

12. etrigan63

etrigan63 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

13. Mapleleaf14

-Return to Top-

Really Right Stuff's reply:

[SIZE=medium] [/SIZE][SIZE=medium]"[/SIZE][SIZE=medium] It doesn't look as though we currently offer a plate for that camera, and we have yet to make a decision.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium] If we decide to make a custom plate for that camera, you will see such an announcement on our Facebook page or in one of our newsletters. In the meantime, here are some generic plate options you could use:[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium] MPR-73: [/SIZE][SIZE=medium]http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/s.nl/it.A/id.4524/.f[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium] B6: [/SIZE][SIZE=medium]http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/s.nl/it.A/id.2137/.f[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium] BPnS: [/SIZE][SIZE=medium]http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/s.nl/it.A/id.2250/.f[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium] However, please be aware that because this is a generic solution, there is no guaranteed anti-twist and you might need to remove the plate from the camera in order to access the battery door/memory card slot of your camera body.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium] Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with.[/SIZE][SIZE=medium] "[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Maybe with more requests, RRS will decide to add L-plates for the X-T1 and X-T1/Grip combo.[/SIZE]

14. minivini

minivini Member

-Return to Top-

I've been an L-bracket user through many cameras. I'm also a ball head user. The fact is, I've very seldom used the bracket in its portrait orientation as a notched ballhead allows for the same positioning. In my opinion, an L-bracket is really only useful as a protective piece. They're good at taking a beating, but for the weight and bulk they add, I won't be buying one for the T1 and grip. I'll add a generic Arca-Swiss plate to the grip and the Fuji grip for just the body.

15. dpt2014

dpt2014 Dr. J

-Return to Top-

L-Plates are nice because they allow full use of the ball head adjustment while in portrait orientation. When you drop the camera into the slot in the ball head to go into portrait you loose any fine tune adjustments, in other words you might not be able to drop it enough to make it perfectly level. This could be because of uneven ground, or your tripod ins't adjusted right. The bigger problem is all that weight is off axis which makes it extremely hard to move it within the ball head and not have it shift around. With an L plate the weight remains centered over the ball head; flipping the camera and head to get portrait mode gives you a less well-balanced load.

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/s.nl?search=video+L+Plate

jwarthman likes this.
  16. RonSmith

RonSmith Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Here is the response I received from Mark Gvazdinskas at RRS ...

"Thanks for your inquiry. We are currently waiting to get the new Fuji camera in house to design plates/check if any of our existing plates will be a good match.
    We don't know exactly when we'll be receiving the camera. Once we get a camera in house it usually takes roughly 4-6 weeks before plates are in production."

17. sunnysideup

sunnysideup Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I was going to purchase a RRS ballhead, panning clamp, nodal slide, and L bracket for my X100, but now that I've pre-ordered the X-T1, I can't. I hope they get one out ASAP!

18. marcosv

marcosv Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Personally I do wonder how well will the X-T1 will perform if you use the portrait feature of some ball heads. Using the smaller primes, the lighter overall weight might be good enough.

My problem using L-brackets in general is some of the design compromises used to allow better access to the connectors on the left side. Some of those compromises results in an awkward looking plate that makes it harder to use or store in smaller camera bags.

I plan on buying the Fuji hand grip and seeing how that works out. Since my tripod and ballhead were intended to support my Canon 5D3 with 70-200/2.8 IS, I suspect it'll work, even with the heavier/longer telephoto zooms.

OTOH, I wonder what happens when you add the battery grip. We're going to need a custom plate to get better anti-twist. So here's hoping RRS does design something for that combo.

19. apsphoto

apsphoto Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have put my request in at RRS as well, the more requests they get the higher in the priority list it will go, so everyone email them!

As for the l-plate I find them extremely useful I use mine all the time, in portrait and landscape orientation, not having to flip the ballhead 90 degrees is a real benefit and well worth the extra cost of an l-plate.

Alan

20. Richard_R

Richard_R Just me

-Return to Top-

A week after RRS release their L bracket companies like iShoot will have generic ones on ebay at a fraction of the price and 90% of the quality.