This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

X-T2 and flash

Discussion in 'X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10' started by MLfoto, Mar 19, 2017.

1. MLfoto

MLfoto New Member

-Return to Top-

I have two needs for travel and wedding photography. After two weddings using the Canon 600EX in manual, the damn thing is so top heavy, that my wrists are sore the next day. When I used to shoot Leica M6 film, I had a small Vivitar that was balanced. I don't need power. I need something small, manual that I can get soft, f2 or f2.8 at 1600 ISO @ 3-4 meters. That's one flash need. Light and simple and consistent.

The other is for radio fired off-camera flash. I don't care about TTL, manual is fine, but it needs to be powerful enough to give me f5.6 - f8 @ ISO 100 at 5 - 7 meters. TTL is OK, but not necessary.

I'll look forward to reading your suggestions.

Michael

Pro with 35 years in the business, now converting to Fujifilm from Canon.

2. 5280Pics

5280Pics Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

The Nissin i60a would fit that bill. It is smaller than all other flashes I have owned. With a guide # of 60, it's pretty powerful. Dialing in the power, and/or flash compensation is super quick as well.

3. MLfoto

MLfoto New Member

-Return to Top-

I should add, that I am probably describing two different flash units and that's totally OK. I would love a small unit for on-camera low light work and another flash with a radio remote and more power for off-camera needs in evening light.

4. EAB

EAB Member

-Return to Top-

Look at the i60. Depending on your definition of small it should fill the bill nicely.

5. Photoron

Photoron Member

-Return to Top-

Also (smaller and less powerful) are the Nissin i40 and the Metz M400. Both do TTL and the Metz does HSS.

Also, if it is being used manually, why not something like your old Vivitar? Any flash with only one contact on the shoe will fire and work manually.

6. Tilphot

Tilphot Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Yongnuo's YN 560 IV should fit your bill for a manual, radio-triggered and radio-controllable workhorse. It's quite popular among Fuji strobists.

I have the Metz M400 as a small TTL unit and am very happy with it, but it's not undisputed. Some users here have complained about underexposure - but I encourage you to check it out for yourself!

Solsdad, MLfoto and Zurubi like this.
  7. MLfoto

MLfoto New Member

-Return to Top-

I'll continue my research. Any suggestions for small reliable and low power? It's been a few years since I had the Vivitar.

8. visorvet

visorvet Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have not owned any Canon flashes newer than the 580 EX II, but I could certainly use that one off-camera with my Fuji bodies (OCF cord or with radio triggers). Only in manual, or course (no TTL). So before buying something new it would be worth trying your 600EX as the off-camera/powerful flash. I am assuming this will be powerful enough, but am not sure what kind of modifiers you use.

The Nissin i40 would fit the bill for small (though surprisingly heavy for its size), reliable, low-power, on-camera manual/TTL. The i60 could possibly serve in both roles (off-camera control and TTL via Air 1 radio trigger), but as I haven't used it personally I'm not precisely sure of its power. It is substantially larger than the i40.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  9. Osa713

Osa713 Member

-Return to Top-

Look at the Nissin i60a. Small and light weight but double check the specs to see if it fits your needs.

For the off camera flash look at the Nissin Di700a it works with the nissin air commander and has a radio system built in. I have shot with 580ex years back before the built in radio system came along (600rt) as you already know they are huge and you have to buy triggers.

The Nissin Di700a comes bundled with the air commander for $300. That's an amazing price for what it does and you can use both flashes wirelessly.

10. Osa713

Osa713 Member

-Return to Top-

11. perob

perob Member

-Return to Top-

What about the EF-X8 that comes in the box with the x-T2 ? Small, light and should deliver enough power for soft light at 3-4 mtr.
    I don't actually like the X8, and only carry it with me for emergency use, and some fill for outdoor shooting.
    I use the Cactus RF60X and V6II for off camera flash and HSS.
    HSS will also give you interesting light effects when shooting outdoors in bright light. The RF60X is kind of a big unit though, at least it feels big on the rather small X-T2, but the size have not bothered me so far.
    Personally I have found that off-camera flash often give me more interesting shots, even when the flash is placed fairly close to the camera.
    So I would recommend the EF-X8 and Cactus.