This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

10-24 Cleaning

Discussion in 'Fuji X-Mount Lens Forum' started by Jimbofoxman, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Jimbofoxman

Jimbofoxman Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Wow, they really get you on a cleaning! $167 seems a little steep to me. Canon Pro was so much better. Still love my Fuji stuff though.....but maybe they should build a tighter lens. Had dust on the inside of both the front and rear elements.

2. monst

monst Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Wow that is a lot. Did it show on the pictures?

3. Jimbofoxman

Jimbofoxman Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Yes, you could see it in several locations on a picture. Most times I could clean it up with just a simple spot heal. Sad to spend all that money on a lens and so easily get stuff inside.

4. ojporqpojrewpo

ojporqpojrewpo Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The 10-24 definitely should be WR. Seems this kind of lens is used outdoors a lot.

5. archi*dss

archi*dss Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The price for taking apart and reassembling such a complicated zoom lens doesn't surprise me. Although zooming is internal, the lens groups moving may be pumping air into the lens along with dust. Mine is still clean but it hasn't seen much use yet. Since this one zooms internally it could easily have been made WR and sealed.

6. Bud James

Bud James Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I use my 10-24 a lot for travel photography. It's a great lens, very sharp and has the focal length range needed to shoot interiors and exteriors of churches and other building in old cities.

In March, I spent a week in Iceland. I photographed the iconic waterfalls and other landscapes. I was almost under one waterfall with my X-T2 and 10-24 on a tripod with Lee Big Stopper ND filter take photos. By the time I was done, the mist from the waterfall had soaked me and my equipment. I had a rain jacket on, but my equipment did not. It seems that my 10-24 came through that without any ill effects.

You can check one of the waterfall images by clicking HERE.

If Fuji introduced a "Mark II" version of this lens with weather resistance, I would buy it without hesitating.

Regards,
    Bud James

www.budjames.photography

7. monst

monst Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Zooms have always been prone to the dust sucking phenomenon. The press guys used to put a bit of double sided tape in the inner of the rear lens cap to try to trap the particles but was never sure about if that worked.