This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

27mm mkII?

Discussion in 'Native X-Mount Lens Forum' started by intheviewfinder, Aug 25, 2018.

1. YogiMik

YogiMik Premium Member

-Return to Top-

My reasoning is bigger, heavier, and more expensive lens. I use non WR lenses in all extreme conditions, and never have problem with that. I think, WR is a marketing hype for more profit. Same as AF, or manual focus by wire, which is frustrating in the most of situations. Give me back smooth focusing ring for the quick, and most accurate focus. Focus by wire sux.

LionSpeed likes this.
  2. cug

cug Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Okay, I disagree with nearly everything you say here:

WR

WR is not a marketing hype, especially not for digital cameras. The problem is that most people think WR is for rain or water intrusion protection, which of course it is as well, but the first and foremost effect of WR is that less dust gets into lenses and onto the sensor.

With film cameras, where you changed the "sensor" for every single exposure this was much less interesting. When changing film/lens dust would fall out, get collected away, sometimes you'd clean the camera or had it cleaned, but it overall had little effect on the image. With digital photography, dust in the camera sucks. The static charge of the activated sensor attracts particles like crazy.

The next thing is that lenses just plain last longer without having to be taken apart and cleaned. Look at older, non-sealed lenses which pretty much all have dust and often even fungus all over the place because particles and moisture get in so easily. With partially sealed lenses you have this to a much lesser degree.

Regarding size: The weather sealing on a lens adds literally ZERO size and weight. If you can measure it, that would be an achievement by itself. This argument is just plain wrong. You might think this is the case because manufacturers tend to add weather-sealing mainly to their high-end lenses which are heavier and larger by (optical) design.

WR is a very good thing to protect lens as well as camera AND keep the image quality better for a longer time.

AF

Sure, autofocus adds size due to the needed motors, but it hasn't been frustrating on non-mirrorless cameras for quite a while. AF became frustrating (again) when it got shitty with the first cameras and sensors that tried to do pure contrast detect with slow CPUs and medium resolution sensor with very slow readout. So, saying AF is frustrating might just show that you either haven't used a good one or you are "holding it wrong".

Manual focus is great for very few situations and okay for some more, a good AF works in nearly all situations. And manual focus is neither quick nor convenient compared to a working AF system. Sure, the Fuji system only got properly working AF with the third generation X-Trans sensors, but that's not the point.

Manual Focus by Wire

Sucks. Agreed.

intheviewfinder likes this.
  3. blacksheep

blacksheep Seeker of Light

-Return to Top-

+1

4. LionSpeed

LionSpeed Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I can concur this. Last time in London, my Xe2 & Kit lens (non WR for both) was accidentally left (outside) in heavy heavy rain soaking for a good 10 minutes. Brought it inside thinking, 99% toasted. Took the battery out, wiped down & hoping to salvage just the Kit. After half hour later, popped in a battery just out of curiosity and Xe2 came alive. Still working today as we speak.

Another incident happened in Jamaica. My 10-24 (non WR) together with Pro2 both got dropped (fully submerged) in the Dunn river with multiple splash of water right before the drop. Same mentality thinking TOASTED 10-24. Hoping to salvage just the Pro2. Went back to hotel, wiped down, fired back up... Everything went back on line. 10-24 & Pro2 still kicking strong.

WR for me is overrated! $.02

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 2:49 PM
    YogiMik likes this.
  5. YogiMik

YogiMik Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Last century . . it was a standard, that quality MF lenses could be used in extreme conditions,
    and with occasional servicing, we could use the same lens for a few decades at least.
    Now, I see, those AF, WR lenses are designed to last five years. I mean, NOW! . . .
    Not 10 years ago. I'm looking at you, Fujinon!
    The same goes to Fuji X cams. Average five years. Some are not that lucky, though . . :cool:
    So, I don't expect the present iterations in cams & lenses from Fuji to last more than 5 yrs.
    That's reality, now. The world is producing too much junk these days. Expensive cheapness.
    Those present expensive electronic lenses are not lasting investment anymore. Invest in MF lenses only.

LionSpeed likes this.
  6. YogiMik

YogiMik Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Yes, we all know it . . . still, I do not want to sacrifice it for aperture. I need those command wheels for something else vital.

liggy likes this.
  7. YogiMik

YogiMik Premium Member

-Return to Top-

AF in Fuji cams sucks, too. Far too often chooses more contrast spot, that is not of my choice of focus.
    Unless, you shoot only portraits, I can understand.

WR . . in the last century, quality non-WR lenses were used in all extreme conditions without those limitations, that present electronic AF WR lenses have.
    Have you forgotten that, already?
    And, they lasted for decades, with occasional servicing, or two, if necessary.

8. cug

cug Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I've not found this to be the case since X-Trans III (24MP cameras). Eye detect is abysmal but everything else is a matter of using the focusing system just right.

9. Bandje

Bandje Premium Member

-Return to Top-

With the risk of going offtopic: I can report that my 35/1.4 has crossed this threshold without failing. So it'l be at least 6 years ;). That said, with consumerism as it is, there are probably few people who own a camera body that is 5 years old, before upgrading to a new body. But you are correct of course, a lot of camera's and lenses from the 70s are still in fine working order, and I doubt my X-T2 would be. But the X-T2 can do so much more than my canon EA1, so there is a trade-off!

About the original proposed lens: AF is just something modern users have become accustomed to, so it would be very odd to leave it out. Personally, I've never used the 27 mm lens, as for me it is too close to my very nice 23/2 and 35/1.4 lenses to buy it. However, I would prefer all my lenses to have an aperture ring. Not just for during use (I agree, the wheel works OK), but I am used to checking aperture, shutter speed, and ISO before I put the camera to my eye, and that doesn't work with this lens!

10. YogiMik

YogiMik Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Consider yourself a lucky fella . . .
    mine, the most used lens 35 F1.4 starts to show first signs of malfunctioning, after nearly 4 yrs of use.
    Still is working OK.
    I don't consider 27 mm too close to 23 & 35 mm.
    It's totally different FL, and I'd use it a lot, if 27 mm F2.8 was a proper, better lens in design, and IQ.
    Probably, it'd be the most used lens by me.
    Unfortunately, XF 27 F2.8 doesn't cut for me.

LionSpeed likes this.
  11. thelonious58

thelonious58 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

What specifically don't you like about the XF27 2.8? The focus motor is noisy, but I find the IQ excellent and the colour rendition is a little understated, so it tames Velvia slightly. Nice and light, tiny lens which is great for street photography because it's so unobtrusive

12. YogiMik

YogiMik Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I did shoot street with XF 16-55/2.8 zoom on X-T1, and it wasn't obtrusive . .
    I don't like OOF rendering of 27 mm, lack of aperture ring, and F2.8 is too slow.
    For me, it's a boring lens . . . even more boring than 16-55/2.8 zoom.
    IQ excellent is overstated. XF 35/1.4 holds that crown.
    XF 27 mm is not even close.
    It should not have XF badge at all . . but, XC.

13. thelonious58

thelonious58 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks for your quick and comprehensive reply. Obviously only the best will do for you......

YogiMik likes this.