This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

A3+ Printer Recommendations

Discussion in 'Printing (Instax and others)' started by KeithBrewster, Feb 13, 2018.

1. KeithBrewster

KeithBrewster Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Hi Folks,

I'm back in the market for an A3+ printer for my Fujifilm photos. After a short look at the market I rather think the Canon Pixma Pro-100S might be a good choice. It has good reviews but what caught my attention was the ability to reduce ink costs by buying in bulk from Precision Colors in the USA. They seem to be a step above the run-of-the-mill compatible ink suppliers. Watching Youtube videos, refilling the cartridges looks a bit fiddly but not too much of a challenge. I used to own a HP B8850 but not only has HP stopped supporting it but the inks are horrendously expensive and it never seemed to work seamlessly with either Photoshop or Lightroom.

Whilst I am looking for good quality prints on gloss and matt photo paper I also like printing B&W onto fine art papers.

I don't need the long life of pigment and quite happy to go with inks.

Any recommendations or advice will be appreciated.

Keith.

2. MikeAnselm

MikeAnselm Member

-Return to Top-

Hi Keith,
    I own this canon printer and be super satisfied. The prints are of the best, the handling is easy. But Canon ink is extremely expensive (more that 1000Euro/Liter) and its just coloured water. So I refill the cartridge with 3rd party ink which costs pennies. I buy my ink in Germany, but I'm shure there are vendors in UK also. What you need than is a special ICC, which can be bought. Procedure is easy. ..... but shure, it is work ..... and ink always runs out at the very worst moment. However I strongly can recommend the Canon Pro 100 S. Good luck.

3. KeithBrewster

-Return to Top-

Thanks Mike.

4. trainer

trainer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

This thread has some recent info from me that may be useful: Please login or register to view links

5. KeithBrewster

-Return to Top-

Hi,
    Thanks for this.It was one of the items I followed through prior to my post.

6. trainer

trainer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

It's not really too fiddly at all. I never had a problem refilling and its nice to have a complete set ready to go as soon as one cart shows low. Their ink are very good. You just have to be methodical in resetting the chips and following instructions. I got the bottles with the needles so it's just a matter of popping off the stopper and filling it and putting the stopper back in. His starter kits are very good. Once flushing old carts are done its easy from then on.

7. dotman

dotman Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Has anyone tried the new canon or epson printers with the refillable tanks?

8. KeithBrewster

-Return to Top-

I do have an Epson Ecoprint which uses the refillable ink tanks. They are very easy to use and very economical in terms of ink costs. Even Epson's OEM ink is so inexpensive there is no real incentive to buy third party. The printer itself is relatively expensive but that's probably because they are pricing them at a realistic level rather than as a "loss-leader" level and relying on recovering their costs through the sale of cartridges.

However the Ecoprint are four-colour printers so are not aimed at the quality photo market.

9. Charzes44

Charzes44 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have an Epson L805 (I think the P50 is identical) printer which has refillable tanks, and is 6 colour. This is same as 4 colour with the addition of light cyan and light magenta, and produces excceedingly good colour prints up to A4 size. It is also wifi. I bought the printer from Amazon UK, and the genuine Epson 70ml bottles of ink can be purchased from City Ink Express for £12 each, inc VAT.
    I hope that this is helpful.

10. KeithBrewster

-Return to Top-

Hi Charzes,
    Thanks for your comment. My main criterion is for an A3+ printer but I did follow up your comment about the Epson L805. I see that Epson do do an A3+ but it is six ink tanks rather then eight for the Canon which probably means the Canon can produce more subtle prints - especially for B&W. The Canon looks quite a lot cheaper than the Epson (about £ 360 compared to about £680 for the L1800).
    Keith.

11. jknights

jknights Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

I have been using Canon printers fairly exclusively for my photo printers in the last 8 years. They work very well and ink usage is better than the Epsons that I had before which seemed to drink ink!

12. lightsketcher

lightsketcher Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Hello,

I'm probably late due to the date of the OP request's, but I wasn't part of the board before so here is my answer. I use the Canon Pixma IP 8750 printer (I think the model in the US is IP 8720? I just hate when they make different model names of the same product) and I'm extremely happy with it! :)

YogiMik likes this.
  13. YogiMik

YogiMik Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Could you please, share some info from your experience, . . .
    is this printer uses a lot of ink head cleaning, b/c it cleans the head automatically without you requesting it?
    Is it true, this head cleaning can not be customized to manual?
    Do you know, how long can be idle before ink dries? Just in case, if someone needs to go away for a long trip.
    Regards

14. lightsketcher

-Return to Top-

Hello,

Sure! The procedure to clean the heads is automatic, but you can do it also manually if needed. I don't see any option to avoid the automatic head cleaning procedure, but I use Mac OS X Sierra, so I have the Apple drivers and not all the software suite of Canon. I would have to install this suite of software to see if something can be done about the automatic cleaning procedure. I will have a look at it in the next days and let you know.

My printing volume is low--medium. I print mostly in A4 and smaller formats, but I have printed in A3 format aa few times. My printer stays on 24/7 (in stand by) all the time and I never had problems with ink drying. I think the longest time with no printing I had was about 1 month (but could also be 1 and a half month, I'm not sure) and never had any problem with dried ink (the printer has stayed all this time on and on stand by mode though). Also last year I was 3 weeks away from home (printer off in this case) and had absolutely no problem with dried ink.

I hope this can be helpful to you. If I can be of any further help, please let me know.

Regards.

PS. I forgot to mention I use only original Canon ink cartridges.

YogiMik likes this.
  15. lightsketcher

-Return to Top-

I forgot to mention that every time you turn on and off the printer it cleans the head, this is the reason I let mine on all the time (if I'm not away from home). This printer has a sleep (stand by mode). Of course automatic cleaning sessions still happen, but less often... Usually after a while without using the printer it will clean itself before printing.

YogiMik likes this.
  16. YogiMik

YogiMik Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thank you. I think, if it is in stand by mode, it uses automatic cleaning, therefore ink never dries. That may be useful, when away from home for a extended period. Wondering, how often it cleans. But, when being home, it's better to turn off automatic cleaning, as unnecessary procedure just to save ink, providing, we do occasional printing.

17. lightsketcher

-Return to Top-

You're very welcome! All I can say is that The automatic cleaning DOES NOT happen so often and it happens ONLY after a while without print (AND it ONLY happens right before printing the first printing request it receives after a while, besides that it DOES NOT clean itself alone without reason.

Edit: Same old story, I write fast and forget punctuation.

YogiMik likes this.
  18. YogiMik

YogiMik Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thank you very much, and I appreciate it. That makes a lot of sense. I was looking for a small A3 printer of good quality, and this one seems to fit the bill. Thanks once again. Have a nice Sunday afternoon :)

lightsketcher likes this.
  19. lightsketcher

-Return to Top-

My pleasure! Glad I could help! I'm sure you will be satisfied with the prints made by this printer. If you have any questions in future feel free to contact me. I'm not an expert in anything, but if my knowledge can be useful for others I'd be glad to help!
    Have a nice afternoon too! :)

20. lightsketcher

-Return to Top-

@YogiMik Those are examples of photos printed with the Canon Pixma IP 8750.

IMG_3786 copy.jpg

YogiMik likes this.